WHY CAN'T I BUY A JOB AS A HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL COACH/TEACHER

DevildogCoachP

to be quite honest, teaching in this age of accountablity makes it a little more strainious on a teacher. As an pricipal, they are going to hire a FULL licenced teacher over a interm position, esp if its gym bc there are thousands of them. I understand the paying part, I was a college student who had no money played football and paid for the test and worked part time. They are not 50-50 shots. If you study, and many study programs are online free, you can pass. They are $90 to take them and can be scheduled 4 months in advance. Thats plenty of time to study.

also just a hint, even if its true or not, you are getting paid to teach, You should stress the intrest to be a teacher/football coach, and not a coach/ teacher. Principals want people who are going to reflect their core grades as the best they can.

just FYI.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I understand that and have no problem doing the tests. I did not pass the first time and that is the other reason for taking 4 History Upper Level Classes all at the same time this Spring. I am just as qualified as the next person and a test doesn't prove more or less for one person or the other. State law which is published on the Tennessee Department of Education website, states that once you have a degree with the major or 24 hours of coursework which is considered the equivalent of a major is all you need to be eligible to be interviewed and hired as a teacher. I would have done student teaching but the state really needs to re-evaluate their student teaching system as adult students with families can not possibly survive doing student teaching while not working a regular full time job. That is why I did not go through it the first time and returned to active duty. I am eligible for the Troops to Teachers program which has stated on paper they will provide up to 10,000 dollars to make sure I can get those things done but only after an offer of employment.

As far as if I was a Principal and had to decide who to interview and hire, I would interview and hire a military veteran, especially a Marine over a full certified teacher, every day of the week and twice on Sunday because I know they will get the job done regardless of what it takes, they are natural motivators, are driven, determined and committed to excellence, unlike a large portion of the private sector. On top of that they are loyal and proven their worth by serving their country. This is why Tennessee is so far behind right now in education because their evaluation systems of teachers are screwed up, their criteria for hiring is screwed up and overall their priorities are all wrong. I have more credentials than most teachers do and I have 9 years of real world teaching experience in the most demanding environment in the world! I can run circles around a percentage of teachers in schools today. I have coached long enough now to prove I can teach as well. So I hope this answers your question. Had I not gotten injured while preparing for a combat deployment to Afghanistan in 2009/2010 and had my career ended because of it, I would have never left the Corps and would have retired from it in about 10 years. , especially if I had known how much of a good ole boy system is still used here in my home state.

As fr as cost of the exam, when you have a wife and two kids, one which you pay child support for and then have to pay for stuff on top of that, keep a roof over your families head, pay for vehicles that you can't afford to let go of or trade in due to your previous lifestyle and career, make sure there is food in the house and bills are paid and you have gas money to go to interviews, every dime counts. It is not that I don't want to take the exam or put it off, I am just saying by state law and department of education guidelines which every school is supposed to abide by, I am qualified right now to interview for teaching spots or teaching/coaching jobs and be hired. Believe me, preparation is not a concern, I have been a Marine and trained by the best to prepare for anything and everything. I don't expect you to understand my situation as most of the civilian world doesn't but maybe you should take a minute sometime and try to look at things from a disabled military veterans eyes, walk a day in his shoes so that you understand what I am going through. You would be amazed once you did that as to how hard it is on us. I do appreciate your advice but your lack of understanding stands out more.

I know in Davidson County they cannot hire you without your full professional license if they have ANYBODY to apply that DOES have their license. Basically, they are required to hire fully licensed teachers first. I would imagine most public school systems would have to operate the same way especially in the "no child left behind" highly qualified era. You are wanting to take the test after you get a job, but I really think you are going to have to bite the bullet and pass the test first.

my lack of understanding is very clear, it may be true that you are certified, but you have to pass the test. point blank. and no pricipal is going to hire a interm over a full time no matter the background, they would be at risk of loosing their job for not hiring the more qualified. JMO,

good luck,

I know in Davidson County they cannot hire you without your full professional license if they have ANYBODY to apply that DOES have their license. Basically, they are required to hire fully licensed teachers first. I would imagine most public school systems would have to operate the same way especially in the "no child left behind" highly qualified era. You are wanting to take the test after you get a job, but I really think you are going to have to bite the bullet and pass the test first.

your right. no public school can hire a teacher who is less qualified, end of story.

No one is less qualified in this situation as much as you want to think. By STATE LAW and TENNESSEE DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION STANDARDS, I am just as qualified. You should take some time and read those things, you might learn something just as I did. Not sure if you are a principal or not or if you have any significance to a school there WCP but sounds to me you don't know what you are talking about. I have verified my statements with the Department of Education, MTSU's Teacher Licensure Department and by READING the Tennessee Plan to Implement the Teacher and Paraprofessional Quality Provisions of the NCLB Act of 2001. Nothing I hate more than people who know nothing about what they speak of.

WCP, just so you know, if you take time and read the laws which are supposed to be abided by, you will see, I am not required to pass those tests up front to be interviewed or hired for a job. I have to complete them in 3 years time, which I can and will do. People like you are the reason TN is so far behind in education. You are so worried about your job and not worried about doing the right thing and hiring the best candidate for the job. Instead you hire some half twit who couldn't motivate a flea to get off of a dog and your students are failing miserably during testing time and your school reflects that when the state puts out yearly statistics.

ok, and its seems like its working well for you, I know plenty. They do hire yes, but they will hire a full time teacher over an interm, EVERYTIME. The iterm is the same thing as a transitional licence. If you knew the system YOU would know that, either way, Im going to leave this alone and tell you better advice is to pass the test. end of story, or you better know somebody who can vouch for you as a teacher.

Bc i hate to break the news, but good teachers are better than coaches. you teach and coach, and to be honest im offended that people take my profession as a joke and use it just to get kids by and rather coach.