WHY CAN'T I BUY A JOB AS A HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL COACH/TEACHER

DevildogCoachP

IMHO your issue has nothing to do with schools not knowing the law. As others have said, someone needs to have a specialized skill for a school to hire them on an alternate license. Science and math teachers are in big demand. Tennessee has grants and scholarships available. If all you need is student teaching then student teach. If you need some FOED classes then take them. I retired from an industry I was involved in for 30 years to live my dream. Teach and coach. Will be taking a huge paycut once I start teaching. One thing I want to comment about, and will do it to your face, is some of your ugly comments aimed at some others here on coacht. Some folks just lurk and read. You have not comported yourself very well. If you are trying to enter a vocation you should NEVER attack someone already in that vocation. That could be your principal or team leader or person across the desk on an interview. And teaching, like any industry, networks. What is said to one is heard by many.

I have not been on here in a few days and just read the most recent comments. First let me say to Basil Duke, mancoverage and TCstinger, you three clowns sound like a bunch of winners. Absolutely not a clue between all three of you! As for you MSU, I am sorry you are offended by my comments and confidence in my skills and abilities and the fact that I know the laws regarding teacher licensure and most of the schools in Tennessee do not. I realize you are jealous of a Marine calling you out, you must be one of those teachers that have contributed to Tennessee's disgraceful statistics nationally in education or you would not have said what you did. I am sure there are a lot of football teams, staffs, and schools that would love to have someone of my caliber in their system. It is just a matter of finding where those systems are that value real quality candidates to teach, mentor and coach our youth currently. I excuse your ignorance to the fact of what life is like for military veterans and the fact you probably never served. You talk real big on the internet but I dare you to do it in person. Maybe you should grow some courage and go walk a day in my shoes then you will realize my frustration. I realize how "close" high school staffs are and the hours they put in, I do the same now as a middle school coach and semi-professional coach. I have worked more hours as a Marine than you will in an entire lifetime. I am not concerned about hours or the fact that most staff's are buddy buddy! You can't deny facts and credentials. Sissycoverage, my dare goes out to you too, you sound real cute on the internet talking trash, why don't you come do it in person. TCstinger as a lead guitar and vocals, aren't you on the wrong website? This isn't a band website!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it great to have someone come from away from here and tell us how ignorant we are?? Heck, this guy should skip teaching and take over Education for Tennessee. UNBELIEVABLE.

That's why this guy has no job and nobody wanting to hire him. Principles and Head Coaches do not want a know it all. If he was serious he'd get his butt back in school just like davidlimbaugh mentioned and quit looking for a handout from the system.

Devil Dog,

We met a year ago and I must say you are correct that you are misunderstood on here. I found you to be a kind person who is just trying to do what's best for your family. I too am a Marine. I take great pride in it. However, being a Marine does not make me a better teacher, mentor, coach, husband or father. Being a Marine helped me go to college and make good grades unlike I did in high school. It gave me discipline to stay in shape, eat right, and follow USMC leadership traits that I do try to instill into players I coach and students I teach. It taught me to persevere and have tact and bearing when I got "non-renewed" It changed me for the better.

The best teacher I had was a man named Stanley Moss. He talked funny, walked funny, never served his country, and I guarantee you he never once lifted a weight. However, he challenged me. He made me believe I was more than a jock. He encouraged me to write. He also showed up for most all athletic events that happened in our school, not because he gave a flip about sports, but because he knew it meant a lot to students who saw him there. He earned our respect. When I enlisted in the Marine Corps., he was the first to congratulate and thank me.

I learned to coach by listening to coaches who were better than me, not from humping 30 miles at Camp Pendleton through the mountains or from seeing a man die. I learned to stay out of cover 3 vs. 2X2 by having 4 verts thrown on me for 5 TD's in a 20 minute California passing league and a Veteran coach counseling me by saying, "Less is more". I became a better coach when I used the old Marine Corps. trait of delegation and trust in those I work with. You and I both know a Marine is never short on confidence and is usually far from humility. As an infantry Marine, you have to be that way. Everything you do relies on those qualities being in place. However, I had to learn the hard way that once you go back to the civilian world I needed a crash course in being a diplomat.

I've met you and I think I have a good idea of your heart. You are definitely a great person and I respect you and all you've been through. Message boards, unfortunately, don't reveal who people really are and once you post something it stays there.

To the other posters, let's not beat a dead horse. The man you speak of is a man who has served his country and has many scars to prove it. Thanksgiving is two days away. Devil Dog, I am thankful for you. I am thankful for your service and for your being a great husband and father. I am thankful that I live in a country where people have the freedom to write how they feel on a message board. I am thankful for the people on this board who have reached out to you. I am thankful for the grace of God that enables me to see what your feeling because I was in the same place not long ago.

Devil Dog,

We met a year ago and I must say you are correct that you are misunderstood on here. I found you to be a kind person who is just trying to do what's best for your family. I too am a Marine. I take great pride in it. However, being a Marine does not make me a better teacher, mentor, coach, husband or father. Being a Marine helped me go to college and make good grades unlike I did in high school. It gave me discipline to stay in shape, eat right, and follow USMC leadership traits that I do try to instill into players I coach and students I teach. It taught me to persevere and have tact and bearing when I got "non-renewed" It changed me for the better.

The best teacher I had was a man named Stanley Moss. He talked funny, walked funny, never served his country, and I guarantee you he never once lifted a weight. However, he challenged me. He made me believe I was more than a jock. He encouraged me to write. He also showed up for most all athletic events that happened in our school, not because he gave a flip about sports, but because he knew it meant a lot to students who saw him there. He earned our respect. When I enlisted in the Marine Corps., he was the first to congratulate and thank me.

I learned to coach by listening to coaches who were better than me, not from humping 30 miles at Camp Pendleton through the mountains or from seeing a man die. I learned to stay out of cover 3 vs. 2X2 by having 4 verts thrown on me for 5 TD's in a 20 minute California passing league and a Veteran coach counseling me by saying, "Less is more". I became a better coach when I used the old Marine Corps. trait of delegation and trust in those I work with. You and I both know a Marine is never short on confidence and is usually far from humility. As an infantry Marine, you have to be that way. Everything you do relies on those qualities being in place. However, I had to learn the hard way that once you go back to the civilian world I needed a crash course in being a diplomat.

I've met you and I think I have a good idea of your heart. You are definitely a great person and I respect you and all you've been through. Message boards, unfortunately, don't reveal who people really are and once you post something it stays there.

To the other posters, let's not beat a dead horse. The man you speak of is a man who has served his country and has many scars to prove it. Thanksgiving is two days away. Devil Dog, I am thankful for you. I am thankful for your service and for your being a great husband and father. I am thankful that I live in a country where people have the freedom to write how they feel on a message board. I am thankful for the people on this board who have reached out to you. I am thankful for the grace of God that enables me to see what your feeling because I was in the same place not long ago.

+1

Good Evening All,

I am sorry for not coming back on here and responding to any of the comments posted. I truly had just forgotten about it and decided to stop worrying about it. I did finally find a teaching job by the grace of God at a charter middle school in the Nashville, TN area. As for coaching, I have had a fun year doing that though it was not necessarily at the levels I wanted it to be. I understand what everyone is saying and I can appreciate all of the advice. I am not sure if I will ever coach again but as of right now, I am not sure I am so concerned with it anymore. It is what I love doing and it is who I am but I have a family to think about and I have caused them to suffer enough while trying to achieve an impossible dream and goal. This profession truly is based on who you know and I don't know the right people evidently. If an opportunity ever presents itself to me, I will listen and ponder it but I am done begging and trying to learn the networking game as a coach for now. If it is meant to be, then I guess it will happen at what ever point in my life it happens. Thank you again for taking time to respond and laugh at me at the same time.

For those who want to know, I am teaching PE and assisting with the disciplinary program at the school and they are helping me to get my Transitional License and also become fully certified. I have substituted for one teacher already where I was in charge of teaching math and science. I intend to become fully certified in math once my PE piece is done and I can start adding on to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I know in Davidson County they cannot hire you without your full professional license if they have ANYBODY to apply that DOES have their license. Basically, they are required to hire fully licensed teachers first. I would imagine most public school systems would have to operate the same way especially in the "no child left behind" highly qualified era. You are wanting to take the test after you get a job, but I really think you are going to have to bite the bullet and pass the test first.

don't you have a ton of those teach for america interns in metro? these people do not have full professional licenses only 2 year transitional licenses.