Screaming coaches..

tistheseason

We had a coach that came up with a great idea of how to make us come off of the ball quicker. He had a wooden paddle that was three foot long, one inch thick, and he had a handle at the end that he could grab with both hands like a baseball bat. Well we would get in our stance and one coach would call out the cadence, while this coach would stand slightly to the side and behind you. When the one coach said hut, this coach would swing that paddle (hard), and if you weren't gone out of your stance, you got popped.

I had a coach that would stand about 3 yards beyond the line of scrimmage with a baseball bat, when the other coach said go, we would come off the line and if we weren’t low enough, he would swing that ball bat (hard) and hit us in the “mid section†to make us get low.

If that didn’t work, he made us smoke half a pack of Chesterfields, inspect the asbestos in the field house, and ride home standing up in the front seat of a pick-up truck.

We’re raising a bunch of sissies. I mean they take water breaks every 15 minutes now. Who needs water in August, in the South? And don’t get me started on this whole TSSAA “heat advisory†regulations either.

Those were the good ol’ days

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is amazing to me is that in todays times they say you can't do this or you can't do that, because you may scar a kid for life. But here all of us old guys are on here, kind of bragging about the good old days, instead of scarring us for life, it seems that we are proud of the way we had it. I know I am. My dad raised me tough, and at the time I didn't understand all of it, but I went to my dad when I was about 27, and told him thank you for my raising.

So what is everyones opinion of coaches constantly yelling at their players? I mean..I've been around several coaches and have seen different styles of coaching..but it seems to me that the ones that do the most yelling seem to get the least positive response.

I'll give my opinion without reading the rest first.I was talking to a coach the other day and was saying how a lot of things are different from years ago.Back in my playing days,a coach might blind side you in practice to make a point.Water was a rare gift,and getting yelled at wasn't any different then if you disrespected your parents in those days. You got a lot worse at home then running or pushups at practice.Things have changed.Some,like getting more water breaks are better.Kids that have never seen a belt{some on them and some really on them}or made to respect their parents,might not respond as well to yelling.Some however, may respect the fact that a coach cares enough about the game that he demands the very best and get's so fired up towards them .Yelling for the sake of yelling doesn't do a lot of good,but yelling while teaching the game to a kid is alright with me.