Brentwood Academy - Ensworth

WesVLT

I almost never post here anymore, but I just have to call you out on that statement. Just completely false, and anyone who followed BA football the last 10 years of Coach Flatt's creer would back that up. I don't know about earlier in his tenure, but that simply was not even close to being true in the time period that I followed them.

You're right. Heck, Flatt often had his starters change into warmups at halftime against outmatched opponents. Part of his motivation was to keep his best players fresh, but he never ran up the score. In Flatt's final six seasons at BA, he took five teams to the state championship. Only twice did those teams score 50 or more points in a game -- against a 4-7 Oakland team in 2003 (50-20) and a 2-8 Briarcrest team in 2006 (53-7).

So keeping your starters in till the late in the game is bad coaching? What's right?

Depends on the perspective.

Nah, running up the score after the outcome of a game is no longer in question is considered bad sportsmanship by most, especially in high school and below, where talent discrepancies happen more often.

I can't believe I just had to type that...

I have watched every game both teams have played this year. Keys to BA win, stop Corn. Key to Ensworth win, free Corn. Ensworth or should I say Corn has a high powered offensive attack accounting for 46% of total offense and 75% of Ensworth's scoring. Corn will be facing a strong, fast and deep defense who's starters, since the Trinity game, have only given up 1 touchdown. My prediction is that both teams will remain vanilla because they both know they will see each other again and this game really does not matter, other than bragging rights. That said, defense wins BA 35 - EHS 14.

I have a feeling Ricky will keep it vanilla Friday night....stick with Corn, set up the play action with Bowers, trust his defense/special teams. That may be good enough to beat BA; maybe not...I don't think he will pull out all the stops to win this one....he's well aware of what it means to face a team twice in this league, especially with these 2 meeting up so late in the season. The new BA coach probably doesn't get that at this point. I think, deep down, Ricky would love to lose this game and use it as motivation for his team going into the play-offs. My guess is that two of his great coaching disappointments have been losing rematches in the play-offs, where he won the regular season game with clearly the better team....State title in '97 (lost to FRHS in Clinic Bowl); '09 (lost to MBA in play-offs). Last year his team throttled Baylor after losing to them in the regular season.

My pick is BA 21, EHS 13...no way this is a high scoring game--both defenses are too good.....JMO.....

This will be the 1st BA coaching staff In the past few years that is not intimidated by the University of Ensworth and Ricky Bowers. Advantage for BA. Coach Ricky will have to surprise BA. Ricky will have Pooch kicks, onside kicks, fake punts, reverses, halfback passes in his game plan. Advantage Ensworth. Loud piped in fight song, advantage Ensworth.

Offensively both teams are about even. Ensworth advantage rushing, Elder and running QB. BA advantage passing.

Key to this game will be DEFENSE.

I sense a high scoring game, so the defense that can stop the high potent offense will win.

Another key for BA, do not kick or punt to Elder.

BA 48 Ensworth 47 2OT, Ensworth misses 2 pt conversion.

Until Brentwood Academy gets it done I don't see it. I have a lot more faith in "Ricky" and quite frankly his coaching staff (Wade and Rodriguez) than "the boys from Texas". The best thing Ricky has done in the last few years is gotten the best assistant coaches on his sideline. "Ricky" does not call reverses, halback passes, etc. because he doesn't call the offensive plays. He leaves that to Coach Wade. All defensive responsibilities are left to Rodriguez. Talent for Talent, if Ricky and his staff had BA's talent, he would not lose a game. However, the difference every year in this rivalry is coaching. "Ricky" gets a ton of the credit, but he didn't win a title at Ensworth until his current OC showed up.

Until Brentwood Academy gets it done I don't see it. I have a lot more faith in "Ricky" and quite frankly his coaching staff (Wade and Rodriguez) than "the boys from Texas". The best thing Ricky has done in the last few years is gotten the best assistant coaches on his sideline. "Ricky" does not call reverses, halback passes, etc. because he doesn't call the offensive plays. He leaves that to Coach Wade. All defensive responsibilities are left to Rodriguez. Talent for Talent, if Ricky and his staff had BA's talent, he would not lose a game. However, the difference every year in this rivalry is coaching. "Ricky" gets a ton of the credit, but he didn't win a title at Ensworth until his current OC showed up.

Your lack of faith in "the boys from Texas" is interesting. How familiar are you with their work? I certainly won't criticize your faith in Bowers and his staff -- they've proven they coach well in big games.

Edited by WesVLT