Brentwood Academy - Ensworth

WesVLT

Why? Common opponents - Baylor and MBA - Ensworth has fared better by a TD or more and it is a home game for Ensworth. Adds up to a 14 point victory in my uneducated opinion (according to Doct). I thought this was supposed to be fun.

Ok oldwiseone. i guess that thinking reminds me of MBA contingent, media and everyone I talked to saying MBA would beat BA because of two reasons: 1. Trinty was lucky to get out of Nashville with a win. 2. Trinty wacked BA. Just goes to show you can't use that reasoning. As a side note, I have witnessed Bowers absolutely run the score up on many teams. Case in point: nationally televised game, ESPNU, 49-7 at half. Bowers keeps 1st team in till 4th qtr with his son throwing fade after fade trying to score against Lexington Catholic. When the passing game couldn't score. he let his son run it in to the endzone with time expiring in the 3rd. Nice. huh?

o

Hey TriState, you in a bad mood, buddy? Maybe you should try a night or two at a Holiday Inn Express. Who knows - maybe y'all will get a chance to run it up on Ricky. rolleyes.gif

By the way - i don't know if you are somehow misinformed or are just trying to "shade" your facts to bolster your argument, but you might want to at least be accurate before you publish a derogatory post about someone. Ensworth led Lexington Catholic 35-7 at the half, not 49-7 as you say. Ensworth scored 6 points in the fourth quarter of that game, a td by a backup fullback. Compare to the 14 points BA put up in the fourth quarter of the 62-0 squeaker over JP2.

In case anyone is interested, Lexington Catholic is 7-1, ranked number 2 in the State in 4A, with a nice 28-7 win at Louisville Male, the 9th ranked team in 6A (Ky's highest classification). Male lost at Trinity 38-7.

Edited by RedRobin

1st a few facts - BA starters have barely played in the 2nd 1/2 the past many games. TDs scored in the 4th quarter at JPII were 3rd and 4th string for heaven's sake. Tough to tell f-men and s-mores to drop dead on the field. I guess we could take a knee for the entire 4th quarter

More than happy to see the non-BA fans thinking BA is the underdog. Makes sense - we've not gotten the job done the past few yrs. I would be greatly surprised if bowers thinks we have a chance of beating him. Eworth might win but this is a new staff at BA.In the end the playoffs are where it is at. We finally have a coach who is more than capable of matching wits with bowers. Doubt either can win both mtgs should it come to that. I'll be more than happy to take one out of 2 - the last one is preferable. Will be quite the scene whoever wins. Will come down to line play and turnovers

1st a few facts - BA starters have barely played in the 2nd 1/2 the past many games. TDs scored in the 4th quarter at JPII were 3rd and 4th string for heaven's sake. Tough to tell f-men and s-mores to drop dead on the field. I guess we could take a knee for the entire 4th quarter

More than happy to see the non-BA fans thinking BA is the underdog. Makes sense - we've not gotten the job done the past few yrs. I would be greatly surprised if bowers thinks we have a chance of beating him. Eworth might win but this is a new staff at BA.In the end the playoffs are where it is at. We finally have a coach who is more than capable of matching wits with bowers. Doubt either can win both mtgs should it come to that. I'll be more than happy to take one out of 2 - the last one is preferable. Will be quite the scene whoever wins. Will come down to line play and turnovers

I don't think anyone is selling BA short - just because I choose to respond to a misinformed poster and pick my team to win doesn't mean that I have anything less than the utmost respect for BA. If you want to have a chip on your shoulder, so be it.

I agree that it would be tough for one of these teams to have to win twice, if they meet again in the playoffs. The import of this game is that the loser will need to go though Memphis if they want to get to Cookeville. Don't sell MUS short - they are very good and will make it VERY difficult to come out of the west bracket.

no chip on my shoulder whatsover.i think it will be a dogfight and yes BA is the underdog. it is what it is. Both teams are still 2 of the best in the state - MUS is also there. as for p-offs, it will be difficult to get to the c-ship game and pull out the win. you just never know - time and time again any team can win on any given nite. some good fortune must come your way. i like how this BA team is developing. as a dad with a Sr on the team, it has been fun to watch and no matter how it ends, lots of great memories. i'll miss it. wish my kid could play for this staff a few more yrs - i think they know what they are doing

no chip on my shoulder whatsover.i think it will be a dogfight and yes BA is the underdog. it is what it is. Both teams are still 2 of the best in the state - MUS is also there. as for p-offs, it will be difficult to get to the c-ship game and pull out the win. you just never know - time and time again any team can win on any given nite. some good fortune must come your way. i like how this BA team is developing. as a dad with a Sr on the team, it has been fun to watch and no matter how it ends, lots of great memories. i'll miss it. wish my kid could play for this staff a few more yrs - i think they know what they are doing

Best wishes to your son! As a parent, I know that there are few feelings in life which eclipse the understanding that your child is in the right place with the right people. I have felt it from the moment my first child walked in the door of Ensworth. Coaches and teammates (along with, of course, teachers and classmates) are a huge influence on a kid's life. Senior year is an exciting time for parents as well as students; I hope you enjoy his Senior year and the "college process" as much as have I.

As a side note, I have witnessed Bowers absolutely run the score up on many teams. Case in point: nationally televised game, ESPNU, 49-7 at half. Bowers keeps 1st team in till 4th qtr.

There use to be a coach at BA that kept his players in till the end of the 4th qtr every game. Carlton Flatt never pulled starters till last few minutes, no matter the score. He would have beat JP2 this year 100 to zip. Maybe Coach Ricky has the same goal, winning as many Gold Balls that Flatt won no matter what.

There use to be a coach at BA that kept his players in till the end of the 4th qtr every game. Carlton Flatt never pulled starters till last few minutes, no matter the score. He would have beat JP2 this year 100 to zip. Maybe Coach Ricky has the same goal, winning as many Gold Balls that Flatt won no matter what.

So does that make it right?

So keeping your starters in till the late in the game is bad coaching? What's right?

Depends on the perspective. As a parent of a starter, a second team soph or third team freshman or as a coach who feels like his starters need more time to gel, especially if they are in a mid to late season slump prior to playoffs. Maybe the coach wants a little revenge from getting embarrassed by another coach somewhere in the past. Maybe the starters need to work on different plays or formations in a game scnerio.

Coaches have their reasons, maybe go ask Ricky why, I'm sure he will tell you.

There use to be a coach at BA that kept his players in till the end of the 4th qtr every game. Carlton Flatt never pulled starters till last few minutes, no matter the score.

I almost never post here anymore, but I just have to call you out on that statement. Just completely false, and anyone who followed BA football the last 10 years of Coach Flatt's creer would back that up. I don't know about earlier in his tenure, but that simply was not even close to being true in the time period that I followed them.

BA-Ensworth by the numbers:

Special thanks to TNSuperPrep.net for Ensworth stats. BA stats are gathered from official team statistician.

Points per game:

Ensworth 43.9

BA 40

Average score:

Ensworth 44, Opponent 10

BA 40, Opponent 13

Average halftime score:

Ensworth 25, Opponent 7

BA 32, Opponent 7

Total yards per game:

Ensworth 452

BA 331