Running up the score

blazer1set

First of all, you can see by the screen name that I am neither a DB or Science Hill fan. But here goes... it seems that DB and SH have been getting a lot of flak for running up the score. DB and SH fans will respond that they are playing subs and you can't tell those guys not to play hard. So there are valid points on both sides of this issue when DB/SH play woefully outmanned opponents. So here's a possible solution that solves the problem on both sides...

Once you're up 50-0 and the subs are still cleaning the other teams clock, how about you install a new offense where the subs play positions that they aren't used to. So let a defensive back play QB, switch the running backs and wide receivers, i.e., shuffle them up. Run 3 plays alternating.... 1. pitch right, 2. pitch left, 3. QB keeps. That way the subs can play as hard as they are able but probably won't "click" that well offensively. It will give the subs some quality playing time but at the same time not end up humiliating the other team. And I guarantee you that a mostly defensive player who gets to play offense will have the time of their life even if they don't score or get a 1st down

Thoughts??

This being your first post I only wonder what your other screen name is. The problem doesn't fall upon Science Hill & Dobyns Bennett for scoring to high. The problem is with the other teams in upper east tn. Their weak, always been weak, and until they hire some coaches they will be weak till the end of time. Their answer has always been to whine a cry about DB. Now you can add Science Hill to that mix.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, you can see by the screen name that I am neither a DB or Science Hill fan. But here goes... it seems that DB and SH have been getting a lot of flak for running up the score. DB and SH fans will respond that they are playing subs and you can't tell those guys not to play hard. So there are valid points on both sides of this issue when DB/SH play woefully outmanned opponents. So here's a possible solution that solves the problem on both sides...

Once you're up 50-0 and the subs are still cleaning the other teams clock, how about you install a new offense where the subs play positions that they aren't used to. So let a defensive back play QB, switch the running backs and wide receivers, i.e., shuffle them up. Run 3 plays alternating.... 1. pitch right, 2. pitch left, 3. QB keeps. That way the subs can play as hard as they are able but probably won't "click" that well offensively. It will give the subs some quality playing time but at the same time not end up humiliating the other team. And I guarantee you that a mostly defensive player who gets to play offense will have the time of their life even if they don't score or get a 1st down

Thoughts??

I won't read the other post first,so this may be a repeat.It does no good to play a player in a position that he is not on the depth chart for.You might as well have them playing the tuba in the stands.Let them go all out at their positions from the starters on down to the last man.The best thing is for the TSSAA to correct this screwed up deal and put 6A teams with 6A teams ,and set the playoffs back the way they were ,so we can see some great matchups during the year as well. Edited by BatmanDB

I never like to see a team embarrassed, but the DB coach is between a rock and a hard place, IMO. The region teams they play are not the strongest, and he has been lambasted the last two or three years for getting put out of the playoffs early. He could either let the starters play a quarter and a half and pull them, and then get beat again in the playoffs because his team is not used to playing a four quarter game, or he can worry about making his team the best they can be by playing them longer, which in turn is going to mean that the opponent gets a little embarrassed. if you felt your job may be on the line, what would you do? I would try to get my team prepared for the playoffs, as best as I could. It is not the coaches fault that he is playing in the region that he plays, but that region does not do him any favors for getting a team prepared to play in the playoffs.

Exactly right Jake. Coach Clark and DB is in a lose/lose situation unfortunately. For most of the games this year, they have pulled their starters at halftime or before, and have played with one foot on the brakes and are still averaging something like 58 points per game. This is not preparing the team and starters for playoff football and if they have another early exit again this year, Coach Clark will get blasted again. On the other hand, he's being accused of "running up the score" and getting ripped when the 3rd or 4th teams run a simple dive play at the end. I guess some want them to take a knee the entire 2nd half. Totally a lose/lose situation for DB.

Edited by BigBoy63

you have a right to complain about a team running up the score if: they keep going for it on 4th down when they are already up big, calling time outs late in the game so they can score again, kicking on side kicks so they can keep the football, or going for 2 point conversions. however if they have in their 2nd and 3rd stringers and aren't doing any of that stuff you can't really complain.

you have a right to complain about a team running up the score if: they keep going for it on 4th down when they are already up big, calling time outs late in the game so they can score again, kicking on side kicks so they can keep the football, or going for 2 point conversions. however if they have in their 2nd and 3rd stringers and aren't doing any of that stuff you can't really complain.

Thank you Govenors91

Thanks guys, a lot of good perspective on this one. My original premise was not to whine about losing to DB & SH every year, it was just to try and come up with a way to let DB/SH 3rd string play hard but still keep the score from being 70-0. I guess it just is not possible for those 2 things to happen at the same time.

So maybe we all agree that it is the TSSAA that could really do more..... DB/SH are in a very tough spot playing against much smaller schools. I am friends with one of DB's coaches, and they would never intentionally run up the score just for the sake of embarassing the other team. But sometimes it happens when there is such an imbalance in talent, depth, etc. Year in and year out the county schools are always going to lose to the city schools just due to sheer enrollment #'s. SH = 2200+ students, DB = 1800+, Sull South = 900+, Central = 1000, etc. Hopefully the TSSAA will get it together and realign next year.

Thanks guys, a lot of good perspective on this one. My original premise was not to whine about losing to DB & SH every year, it was just to try and come up with a way to let DB/SH 3rd string play hard but still keep the score from being 70-0. I guess it just is not possible for those 2 things to happen at the same time.

So maybe we all agree that it is the TSSAA that could really do more..... DB/SH are in a very tough spot playing against much smaller schools. I am friends with one of DB's coaches, and they would never intentionally run up the score just for the sake of embarassing the other team. But sometimes it happens when there is such an imbalance in talent, depth, etc. Year in and year out the county schools are always going to lose to the city schools just due to sheer enrollment #'s. SH = 2200+ students, DB = 1800+, Sull South = 900+, Central = 1000, etc. Hopefully the TSSAA will get it together and realign next year.

Enrollment is only a small part of it. So small I don't think I would even bring it up. The TSSAA and coaching are the big problem. I could bring up many examples of why enrollment is not the problem. One is Science Hill. If it were enrollment they would of been the dominate team the past 15 years. They have been losing to 4A and 5A teams for along time. Look what they changed.......the coaching staff. And where are they now? Hire you some real coaches and you'll start winning. Its that simple.

WaCoJaCo ... that is a great point about Science Hill, they have made a massive turnaround. But on average, if school A has 2000 students and school B has 1000 then there are 375 more soph/junior/senior boys available to play for school A. Then of course you have to factor in the tradition, i.e., if a school keeps having a losing record year after year then no one wants to go out for the team and be 0-10, but if no one goes out for the team then they will stay 0-10 every year, repeat ad in finitum.... So like you said, it's not all about numbers, lot of other factors.

Hope this thread was not offensive to anyone (like DB/SH fans), it's just good to see all the boys out playing football instead of inside doing x-box all day

WaCoJaCo ... that is a great point about Science Hill, they have made a massive turnaround. But on average, if school A has 2000 students and school B has 1000 then there are 375 more soph/junior/senior boys available to play for school A. Then of course you have to factor in the tradition, i.e., if a school keeps having a losing record year after year then no one wants to go out for the team and be 0-10, but if no one goes out for the team then they will stay 0-10 every year, repeat ad in finitum.... So like you said, it's not all about numbers, lot of other factors.

Hope this thread was not offensive to anyone (like DB/SH fans), it's just good to see all the boys out playing football instead of inside doing x-box all day

Alcoa, Gate City (except this year), just to name a few more. These are schools that have beat teams with 3 or 4 times their enrollment and on a regular basis. There are many more. It all starts with good coaching. Good coaching is also going out in the community and getting boys excited about playing football for you. You can't just sit in a office and watch game film or have meetings with staff. There are only a hand full of good coaches in upper east tn. You can count them on one hand.Thats the problem with high school football in this area.

Alcoa, Gate City (except this year), just to name a few more. These are schools that have beat teams with 3 or 4 times their enrollment and on a regular basis. There are many more. It all starts with good coaching. Good coaching is also going out in the community and getting boys excited about playing football for you. You can't just sit in a office and watch game film or have meetings with staff. There are only a hand full of good coaches in upper east tn. You can count them on one hand.Thats the problem with high school football in this area.

Preach on brother WaCo......Amen!!!

Edited by LGVol