Dickson County Football

DicksonPride

Its all about big counties vs smaller counties the DCs and the Springfields HCs of the world will always be told what to do. And that is happenng in 10aaa today and would happen in 9aaa if DC was put there. What needs to happen is the tssaa needs to spread out some of those districts. Like clarksville and the Williamson county schools to give other schools more say. But this will never happen the Tssaa has lost its manhood a long time ago. It will always be big brother telling littel brother what to do and when to do it.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, Dickson County is 9-1 and a very good football team. Secondly, Dickson County, Henry County, Clarksville High, and Clarksville Northwest are the oldest and charter members of District 10-AAA. The next oldest member of this district is Springfield who was added in 1979. So, this argument that Dickson Co. or Springfield should be in other districts is laughable! Yes, many of us would trade West Creek or Northwest for any other team/school who is competitive and has the support of its community. Neither DC, HC, nor Springfield has the authority to add-to, or subtract from the currently district alignment. If any could, this would have already taken place! The reason Dickson's schedule ranks as one of the weakest, is due to the weakness of West Creek, Northwest, Rossview (who will probably make the playoffs) and Kenwood (who too will likely make the playoffs if the beat Clarksville High). However, given the new enrollment figures just released, this district will remain intact for the forseeable future.

On a positive note, Clarksville Northeast and (for the most part) Clarksville High have made improving in football a focal point in their athletic program. I personally hope each of these find success to boost our overall district strength to a level of respectability...and hopefully Kenwood and Rossview will build on this season's success and eventually do the same!

As far as the Cougars go, they are as well coached of a high school team as you will find in Tennessee. Rarely, do you have a graduate who played on the most successful team in that school's history come back to lead his alma mater in such a capable and dedicated fashion. It is not time to push the panic button in Dickson. As a matter of fact, it's time for the exact opposite to happen.... it's past time for the community to rally behind its Cougars in an effort to return them to the fierce and feared Cougars of the late 80s and early 90s. Last week's crowd was a respectable one for the host team but it is still lacking from the support I remember seeing follow the Cougars routinely as a young Patriot!

Early in the game against Henry County, the Cougars lost their best play maker/difference maker on defense. We all knew this game would be a low scoring affair given the strength of both defenses...of course when the Cougars lost their run stopper, the dynamic of the game changed somewhat.

Lastly, if there are those out there who believe that the top teams in 5A and the Mid-upper 6A teams are all that different as it relates to strength or district rankings, I encourage you to glance over into District 9-AAA and recite back to us the current district rankings over there. You'll find that the game between Wilson Central and Mt. Juliet (both 6A teams) is for 2nd place in the district behind the 5A Beech Bucanneers. You'll also find the same scenario in District 8, District 12, District 13, District 14 (tie between a 5A & 6A), and in District 15 (tie between a 5A & 6A). Other than Maryville in 6A and "possibly" Dobyns Bennett, I am confident enough to say that there's not a 5A team in Tennessee that couldn't/wouldn't beat the rest of the 6As. That theory is a myth yet to be proven by actual facts.

Pick it up Cougar fans, many teams wish to be in your scenario headed into the playoffs! Get it together as a fanbase....Coach Williams will have his team ready...that you can bet on!

Edited by QBClubPrez

What I was trying to say that all of the Clarksville schools get together and dictate what is going to happens in the district. This is something that we all can agree on I hope. The DCs and HCs and Springfield are treated like little redheaded stepkidds. At most District meetings because we live outside Montgomery County.

QBClubPrez, I also remember the days when DC fans showed up at all games regardless of the team we were playing and filled our side of the stadium and some of the visitor side. You have to remember that since they created Creekwood HS, that took almost 900 students and probably 45% of the fan base. If you built a new high school in HC and it being a rural community lke DC, the same would happen to the HC Patriots, your fan base would drop and your athletic teams would suffer a little. Nobody is upset or crying about DC's football team and we stand behind them 100%, just like we have since 1972 when the high school was created. I as well as many others will stand behind them win or lose, HC does not have a patent on fan support!! GO COUGARS!!

First off, Dickson County is 9-1 and a very good football team. Secondly, Dickson County, Henry County, Clarksville High, and Clarksville Northwest are the oldest and charter members of District 10-AAA. The next oldest member of this district is Springfield who was added in 1979. So, this argument that Dickson Co. or Springfield should be in other districts is laughable! Yes, many of us would trade West Creek or Northwest for any other team/school who is competitive and has the support of its community. Neither DC, HC, nor Springfield has the authority to add-to, or subtract from the currently district alignment. If any could, this would have already taken place! The reason Dickson's schedule ranks as one of the weakest, is due to the weakness of West Creek, Northwest, Rossview (who will probably make the playoffs) and Kenwood (who too will likely make the playoffs if the beat Clarksville High). However, given the new enrollment figures just released, this district will remain intact for the forseeable future.

On a positive note, Clarksville Northeast and (for the most part) Clarksville High have made improving in football a focal point in their athletic program. I personally hope each of these find success to boost our overall district strength to a level of respectability...and hopefully Kenwood and Rossview will build on this season's success and eventually do the same!

As far as the Cougars go, they are as well coached of a high school team as you will find in Tennessee. Rarely, do you have a graduate who played on the most successful team in that school's history come back to lead his alma mater in such a capable and dedicated fashion. It is not time to push the panic button in Dickson. As a matter of fact, it's time for the exact opposite to happen.... it's past time for the community to rally behind its Cougars in an effort to return them to the fierce and feared Cougars of the late 80s and early 90s. Last week's crowd was a respectable one for the host team but it is still lacking from the support I remember seeing follow the Cougars routinely as a young Patriot!

Early in the game against Henry County, the Cougars lost their best play maker/difference maker on defense. We all knew this game would be a low scoring affair given the strength of both defenses...of course when the Cougars lost their run stopper, the dynamic of the game changed somewhat.

Lastly, if there are those out there who believe that the top teams in 5A and the Mid-upper 6A teams are all that different as it relates to strength or district rankings, I encourage you to glance over into District 9-AAA and recite back to us the current district rankings over there. You'll find that the game between Wilson Central and Mt. Juliet (both 6A teams) is for 2nd place in the district behind the 5A Beech Bucanneers. You'll also find the same scenario in District 8, District 12, District 13, District 14 (tie between a 5A & 6A), and in District 15 (tie between a 5A & 6A). Other than Maryville in 6A and "possibly" Dobyns Bennett, I am confident enough to say that there's not a 5A team in Tennessee that couldn't/wouldn't beat the rest of the 6As. That theory is a myth yet to be proven by actual facts.

Pick it up Cougar fans, many teams wish to be in your scenario headed into the playoffs! Get it together as a fanbase....Coach Williams will have his team ready...that you can bet on!

Springfield was a part of 10AAA in 1977, when the district format was started by the TSSAA. In 1981 they were moved to 9AAA, where they stayed until 1986 , the Jackets dropped down a class in 1987 , before this SHS opted to play in the highest classification despite being in a lower classification by its enrollment numbers.

I've never been a believer in the strength of schedule argument. If it was truly THAT big of a deal, Henry County and Powell wouldn't have made it to the championship game last year. That's all either team heard last season was how their "weak" schedules would come back to bite them. Well, they both made it to Cookeville with unblemished records. There is a difference between a schedule making you a better team, and a schedule making you look better than you actually are. A lot of people confuse the two, and the latter is MUCH more common. If Dickson County fails to make a deep playoff run, I don't believe their strength of schedule will be the reason why. They have undoubtedly gotten their program back to a solid level, which I'm happy to say, but they're still one of the smallest schools in 6A in terms of enrollment, and when you factor in that they're going to have to beat a Brentwood, Mt. Juliet, Wilson Central, Independence, or Arlington, etc. I would venture to say that making it past the 2nd round would be an accomplishment. There are a lot of really good teams in 6A.

I wish them well, and I do sincerely hope they can make a deep playoff run.

QBClubPrez, I also remember the days when DC fans showed up at all games regardless of the team we were playing and filled our side of the stadium and some of the visitor side. You have to remember that since they created Creekwood HS, that took almost 900 students and probably 45% of the fan base. If you built a new high school in HC and it being a rural community lke DC, the same would happen to the HC Patriots, your fan base would drop and your athletic teams would suffer a little. Nobody is upset or crying about DC's football team and we stand behind them 100%, just like we have since 1972 when the high school was created. I as well as many others will stand behind them win or lose, HC does not have a patent on fan support!! GO COUGARS!!

DC80; you are correct on a couple matters here.....first and foremost, we understand the impact Creekwood has had on your community, however, according to the admimistration in Cougarville, Creekwood's fanbase resemble that of our other district brethren in Montgomery County....which is to say....its backing of their team is poor at best. What was scheduled as a community rally game....has not reaped many dividends....neither on the field, nor in the bank account.

Secondly, Henry Countians did not/has not patented the large following of its sports teams as you say. As a matter of fact, I can remember when we advertised/rallied the community to turn out on Friday nights because Dickson County was coming to town!...In many ways, in the early days, our goal was to mimic and resemble the excitement and fanfare created by the Dickson County followers. Look what these efforts created!...the atmosphere Friday night as well as last year here in Paris, and the previous year in Dickson on that Thursday night were all outstanding! Again, we can only hope that this will continue to be the case and possibly grow in excitement and respect for one another's accomplishments!

On this note, we are in the "early stages" of declaring the Henry County/Dickson County football Friday a "working man's/business man's" holiday!.....Hopefully, Dickson County fans will accept the challenge and travel to Paris next year to compete in a highly contested 4 man scramble golf outing!!....We hope to play for a trophy much like "the Barrel" our two teams play for! If this event comes together, HC/DC fans can play this competitive 4 man scramble for 4 years without ever playing the same golf course! (Paris Landing State Park, Greystone, The Tennessean, Montgomery Bell State Park). This is an idea to rejuvenate and grow our rivalry yet also allow an opportunity to visit and fellowship with others who share the same enthusiasm for our communities and high school athletics!.....now that I think of it, this might be worth a patent!!!.............more info to come!

I've never been a believer in the strength of schedule argument. If it was truly THAT big of a deal, Henry County and Powell wouldn't have made it to the championship game last year. That's all either team heard last season was how their "weak" schedules would come back to bite them. Well, they both made it to Cookeville with unblemished records. There is a difference between a schedule making you a better team, and a schedule making you look better than you actually are. A lot of people confuse the two, and the latter is MUCH more common. If Dickson County fails to make a deep playoff run, I don't believe their strength of schedule will be the reason why. They have undoubtedly gotten their program back to a solid level, which I'm happy to say, but they're still one of the smallest schools in 6A in terms of enrollment, and when you factor in that they're going to have to beat a Brentwood, Mt. Juliet, Wilson Central, Independence, or Arlington, etc. I would venture to say that making it past the 2nd round would be an accomplishment. There are a lot of really good teams in 6A.

I wish them well, and I do sincerely hope they can make a deep playoff run.

MSU Race and QB Club Prez, you too need to go eat some more fish that you guys are trying to sell. Dickson Co and Henry County are products of this stupid T$$AA system. Congrats to HC winning the state last year and they were a good team as I watched them in the state champ game, but it must be fun to not have to schedule ANYONE and then get into playoffs as a Six A number one seed. This is a problem that is not fair at all. Fish Fry Prez it has nothing to do with 5A/6A it has all to do with the way T$$AA has set these districts. If we are going to play in these districts this way then just play 3 state championships and top four go to playoffs from each district. But NO the T$$AA wants all this $$$$$$ and schools like you guys encourage them to keep this system. Now first off Mr. Fish Fry Prez you will get on here and talk badly about me, so I will tell you what I am. I am a district 7AAA follower and my Bulldogs are bad this year. Mr. Fish Fry Prez What do you think DC or HC record might be if they had to play private schools, Olive Branch, Arlington, Brentwood, Independence, and others in Middle and East TN because of the number one way to get into the playoffs is by over all victories after one/two in the district and NO ONE will schedule with each other. So if Siegel finishes one and Riverdale two and Brentwood one and Independence two you can see where the rest of us fight for wins when we are all playing each other for non-district games. How is this a fair system? Once again, my bulldogs are bad but I bet we would beat a Rossview team badly that you mentioned earlier making the playoffs. Well that team does not have to schedule anybody since the district is so bad they get the wins that way. On another note, I would bet 6-4 Oakland would destroy 9-1 Dickson yet Dickson will be a number two seed and get a home playoff game while Oakland will travel. The system is not good. This is why we give teams like Dickson County a hard time. MSU racer you are correct a schedule does not make you better for the season, but a schedule does allow you to win with ease, work on stuff and get better, get people healthy, etc. Not when you play Olive Branch instead of Kenwood.

Bulldog Fooze....First off, the "Fair" you speak of was back in August...sorry you missed it. Next, I didn't realize this topic was a comparison between 7-AAA and 10-AAA. I think I can speak for the Dickson County fanbase by also saying that we in Henry County play according to what the TSSAA tells us regarding district alignment and classification! Given our large geographic area and the number of large high schools within that area, each member school is only allowed 2 "non-district" games! (we would be in favor of a 11 or 12 game regular season) Both Dickson and Henry County scheduled a "tough" and "challenging" game as non-districts unlike the majority of the state's teams. The Cougars schedule the annual affair with Columbia while the Patriots scheduled the Beech Bucanneers....So, my question is, who is/are the nobodies you speak of?

Secondly, the team I follow closely would have no problem scheduling your Bulldogs, Brentwood High, or even Independence for that matter given that we (as well as Dickson) were all in the same Region together just a few short years ago! (except Smyrna) While in those days, the Bruins were tough, Independence was far from elite....furthermore, you ask how do I think "my team" would do against either of them, well, I like our chances against any of the Tennessee teams you mentioned!...I can't speak for Dickson! While not in the discussion, I would take Beech ( the team we were defeated by early) over each of these Tennessee teams you mention without waivering and without hesitation! I can also say without compromise that if my Patriots were to line up against Coach Wiley's Arlington Tigers,(who we have also scrimmaged recently) I'll take Henry County by 14....(especially given his QB is out for the season!) We have all here wondered about playing Olive Branch given that our former head coach Scott Samsel is coaching the Conquistidors! This year's team in OB I feel is probably much more talented that are we.....over the next couple years tho, my attitude will/would be quite different, thus, don't rule out that game either! While pointed at the Dickson readers, your boosting regarding Oakland is intriguing! We here would love to play Murfreesboro's Patriots given there is a tie that needs to be broken....Henry County lost the first match against them but beat them the very next season following their lifting of the State Championship Trophy! (work on that will you Coach Foozeball!?)

However, there seems to be some confusion related to scheduling...no one "makes" a team play the "privates" as you indicate. That is merely a choice made by a particular coach wishing to compete against a Father Ryan (who we often scrimmage) MBA (who we've play in the past & who "might" be added), Brentwood Academy (who we have played in the past) MUS, Baylor (who we've never lost to), Briarcrest, etc. The only "private" on your team's schedule the last 2 years is BGA...therefore, I wonder what leverage you have for an argument. BGA is hardly Ensworth, MBA, or even CAK! ..wish most feel was scheduled as a "cupcake" game only to have the table turned on your Bulldogs.

Let's talk common ground...nowhere in the archives will you find "our school" defending the current system....no one here has a problem playing in a 3 class or a 4 class system. While we aren't out activily petitioning for this plan or that plan, you also will never hear HC suggesting that there should even be a Div. II class in existance. Have you been told otherwise? Those are things you just don't hear from us. We simply do as we are told by the TSSAA.....you might can refer to us a Patriotic Sheep....proudly competing where we are led!

Lastly, better luck next year to your proud program! We understand moreso than ANYONE the challenges of assembling a 10 game schedule. Few face the geographic challenges as we do which are compounded by our teams recent success!

p.s. Smyrna also has a great fish restaurant right off of I-24 on the Sam Ridley Parkway!!

Edited by QBClubPrez

MSU Race and QB Club Prez, you too need to go eat some more fish that you guys are trying to sell. Dickson Co and Henry County are products of this stupid T$$AA system. Congrats to HC winning the state last year and they were a good team as I watched them in the state champ game, but it must be fun to not have to schedule ANYONE and then get into playoffs as a Six A number one seed. This is a problem that is not fair at all. Fish Fry Prez it has nothing to do with 5A/6A it has all to do with the way T$$AA has set these districts. If we are going to play in these districts this way then just play 3 state championships and top four go to playoffs from each district. But NO the T$$AA wants all this $$$$$$ and schools like you guys encourage them to keep this system. Now first off Mr. Fish Fry Prez you will get on here and talk badly about me, so I will tell you what I am. I am a district 7AAA follower and my Bulldogs are bad this year. Mr. Fish Fry Prez What do you think DC or HC record might be if they had to play private schools, Olive Branch, Arlington, Brentwood, Independence, and others in Middle and East TN because of the number one way to get into the playoffs is by over all victories after one/two in the district and NO ONE will schedule with each other. So if Siegel finishes one and Riverdale two and Brentwood one and Independence two you can see where the rest of us fight for wins when we are all playing each other for non-district games. How is this a fair system? Once again, my bulldogs are bad but I bet we would beat a Rossview team badly that you mentioned earlier making the playoffs. Well that team does not have to schedule anybody since the district is so bad they get the wins that way. On another note, I would bet 6-4 Oakland would destroy 9-1 Dickson yet Dickson will be a number two seed and get a home playoff game while Oakland will travel. The system is not good. This is why we give teams like Dickson County a hard time. MSU racer you are correct a schedule does not make you better for the season, but a schedule does allow you to win with ease, work on stuff and get better, get people healthy, etc. Not when you play Olive Branch instead of Kenwood.

Exactly who in the state of Tennessee has to play Olive Branch or the large privates? Secondly, the other teams you listed are up and down just like Henry and Dickson county are. Independence was horrible a couple of years ago. Brentwood lost to little ole' 5a Gallatin last year, so I don't believe Henry County would have been running from them either. I suppose what I'm asking is what exactly is your point, other than to insult qbprez?

What "fish" was I attempting to sell there, exactly? Never once did I say I like or prefer the current system in any way. Your last two sentences are exactly what I was saying to begin with. We can't help it that Olive Branch is not in our district and Kenwood is, but it wouldn't make HC or DC any better or worse if they were. So..What are you even talking about?