Future of Soddy Daisy Football

SDFOOTBALLFAN

What is happening with the Loftis 8th grade class is not all that is a shame. Kids are not going to play next year that should be playing because there is not going to be a change. But football is not the only sport at Soddy Daisy suffering all sports at the school are headed in the wrong direction. With the exception of wrestling all sports will be worse this year than last and wrestling will start downhill after this year. The fact is Soddy Daisy administration pays little attention to athletics and it is starting to show. You lost 2 legendary coaches this past year (Henry and Kirk) and replaced them with unproven guys that have 0 head coaching experience (Higgins and Skiles) so why would they replace the football coach with a proven guy. Soddy fans if you are looking for the future to be bright the next few years are going to be very disappointing to you. If I had a son or daughter in Middle school that played sports I would be sending them somewhere else if I could.

BTW the unproven coach Higgins was a star WR on the late 90's FB team which was the best in 30 years at SD and I do believe he may have been a state champion wrestler under Henry. Maybe you rednecks should give him a chance before you go trying to hire Gruden to coach SD.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a hint for you rednecks from Ooltewah. Just because your little boy you coached at the kids club or babied through middle school can't play varsity it doen't mean the coach sucks. There is a reason you are coaching kids club and the coach is coaching and teaching high school. Here's your sign. Soddy-Daisy fans (and I'm an alumni) are worse than UT fans.

when was the last time soddy daisy had a 500 or better record? I'm not familiar with soddy daisy's football program lately but it seems like they've been consistently mediocre at best. we(william blount) used to play them and we almost always routed them, besides 2008 when our coach jumped ship and we were injury depleted. as I said I don't know a whole lot about sd football but from what I saw when we played ya'll it seemed like the talent just wasn't there... not trying to be a downer, just stating my opinion. but who knows? maybe a new coach could revive the program, its worth a shot atleast..

best of luck to ya'll on turning things around.

If a change is not made soon next season is over before it starts. I have already heard from to many parents at Loftis that they are going to move their kids to Hixson if somethings not done soon ( amazing what a change of coaches can do). Hixson was a more talented team the year before Fitzgerald got there and there is not a parent at Hixson that would tell you any different. If you don't think parents move kids for sports your fooling yourself. This will also hurt other sports i.e.... baseball and wrestling. My son has decided to wrestle for the first time this year because he was so frustrated with football this past season. Its only taken 3 weeks to understand why the wrestling team is a juggernaut and the football team "is what it is".

Eventhough I am from the other side of the county, still have alot of ties to Soddy Daisy Football and want to see it where it should be. With the two feeder schools (Loftis and Soddy Middle) there are more than enough athletes to build Soddy back into the Monster it once was. When these athletes that are in the eight grade have the chance to attend Baylor and/or McCallie, they are going to first look at where their current program is and where is it headed.(Parents tend to look also, they want the best for their child) :geek:

So you ask yourself can a coaching change make a difference? Just Look at Hixson, Cleveland, Walker Valley, Notre Dame, Siverdale and Marion County. Look at where they where last year vs. this year. :lol:

As you can see, I am from East Hamilton and we are moving up into your division next year. Look forward to seeing you guys on the field!

I agree to an extent about coaching changes making a difference, but a lot of times there are so many circumstances that can can swing results one way or another. All of the new coaches at the schools listed are outstanding coaches; however, some of these schools had outstanding coaches last year. Slaughter goes to RB and has a down year..does that mean he is not a good coach? I know he faced some difiicult factors at Cleveland and did a great job teaching those kids character and football. Maybe it didnt show up on the win column every Friday, but that doesnt mean just because a new coach shows up that he pushes all the right buttons and now they are winning that he is a better coach. Fitzerald did a great job this season at Hixson. Taking nothing away from him but everyone knows that district was terrible this year outside of East Hamilton. Hixson lost a couple of heart breaking games last year and was a few plays from being 7-3 or even 8-2. One of their losses the starting QB was suspended and another the Holmes RB did not play. I am not making excuses for Houston White and last year, but there are multiple things that contribute to winning or losing, not just the head coach. Coach White goes down to LFO and they have a great year...so he couldnt coach at Hixson, but can at LFO? Just remember that high school coaches deal with a lot and do not get to recruit (at least some of them do not). I know several of the coaches who took over at these schools and a few who left these schools. Each are great coaches who know plenty of football and who also know their most important job when dealing with these young men.

I agree to an extent about coaching changes making a difference, but a lot of times there are so many circumstances that can can swing results one way or another. All of the new coaches at the schools listed are outstanding coaches; however, some of these schools had outstanding coaches last year. Slaughter goes to RB and has a down year..does that mean he is not a good coach? I know he faced some difiicult factors at Cleveland and did a great job teaching those kids character and football. Maybe it didnt show up on the win column every Friday, but that doesnt mean just because a new coach shows up that he pushes all the right buttons and now they are winning that he is a better coach. Fitzerald did a great job this season at Hixson. Taking nothing away from him but everyone knows that district was terrible this year outside of East Hamilton. Hixson lost a couple of heart breaking games last year and was a few plays from being 7-3 or even 8-2. One of their losses the starting QB was suspended and another the Holmes RB did not play. I am not making excuses for Houston White and last year, but there are multiple things that contribute to winning or losing, not just the head coach. Coach White goes down to LFO and they have a great year...so he couldnt coach at Hixson, but can at LFO? Just remember that high school coaches deal with a lot and do not get to recruit (at least some of them do not). I know several of the coaches who took over at these schools and a few who left these schools. Each are great coaches who know plenty of football and who also know their most important job when dealing with these young men.

It ABSOLUTELY makes sense that a coach can have more success at one school than at others. Some coaches systems just fit the kids he has available to him at the school. No one thinks Nick Saban is a bad coach.... but he sucked it up at Miami. Your coach has to fit your with your kids and those kids have to fit with the system the coach is trying to run. Tom Weathers system didn't work at Soddy( and we all know why that is) but Slaughter came in and with the SAME kids turned it completely around at 7-3 (8-2... Rhea County) from 2-8.

As a HS Football coach, after listening to yall blast the crap out of your recently departed coaches, the available players, the administration and the future of the program, I can't imagine why any experienced Head Coach worth hiring would want to come to your school. Honestly, I haven't read much on this thread that would make me think, "hey that might be a great place to rebuild a once proud tradition."

Instead, Im thinking more like, "Glad I don't have to listen to that garbage from parents and fans every week when the real problem is that they are in the kids' heads so bad I cant find space for my playbook."

It's HS football people....it's not like you're gonna get the latest line from Vegas or anything. Grow up....graduate from the school and let your kids take over and enjoy it....it's not about YOU. Let the coaches coach. Let the kids PLAY. Be supportive, not destructive. The kids see what gets written on here and it affects their perception of their coaches. All because you guys wanna fight over who can be the first to post the latest "inside scoop" or tell about "this one friday i was there and saw the coach blah blah blah....". Meanwhile the coach is using every technique in the book to try and get through to his kids, but they ignore him because you say he is an idiot....on their own agenda they are 11 individuals and cannot possibly win....so it looks like poor coaching and they lose. So you blame the coach. Whose fault is it really?

i have found that when I'm on the outside looking in and see/hear fans or parents going on about how bad the coach is it's usually a good, knowledgable coach who is busting his butt to win....meanwhile the parents are undermining him from home by calling him an idiot and teaching their kid to listen to them....do their own thing....dad knows best.

Dad don't know the plays, the system or the philosophy but he is coaching him up in the garage that night. Jr loves Dad and the attention Dad is showing him so he listens. So Jr is now a crappy player because Dad taught him wrong...cause he don't know SQUAT. If you don't play Jr, Dad is offended because he "taught the boy" or "coached him up last night". Dad yells from the stands in a half drunk haze that you're an idiot and should be fired so his buddies parrot the cry. It snowballs to their kids and then to the younger kids who don't even play. Now the program is shot because one hot head moron thought his dumb, forklift drivin butt knew more football than the High School Head Coach who actually played the game, started and faced the pressure of playoff football.....while Dad was picking his nose or poppin zits on the bench. Good job, DAD....

So go ahead....sell the program some more. See what kind of coach you get. You can ruin his job as well so your son can lose with pride knowing his Dad coached him up real good. Twenty years from now the two of you can sit on the couch with a beer and talk about how he ALMOST made it big time. Meanwhile, the HC you COULD have had, who could have won state and gotten your boy to UT, is reading your drivel right now and thinking of staying where he is.

Idiots......