Goodpasture @ CPA

coachrus

Are you a Goodpasture fan? You don't seem too optimistic for their chances. Is it due to the QB being an 8th grader or overall better talent at CPA?

BOTH, but the 8th grade QB is doing very, very well for being 13 or 14 and playing against 17-18 year olds.

I went there and have been to 90% of their games (home & away) in the last 15 years since I graduated. But, I also tell it like I see it. I don't sugar coat things to make them seem better than they are. Goodpasture had a tough year off the field and it affected them on the field. I believe Coach Martin will get them ready for CPA and could possibly pull off the upset, but I feel that CPA is playing 14-21 point better football than Goodpasture is right now. I do believe that GP could win, but they will have to play a perfect game and defend the passes that CPA will show them. Goodpasture's weakness vs CPA is defending the 15-30 yard passes.

I don't know why people are getting so out of shape when a Goodpasture fan thinks the other team is better then them this year. I am just telling it like I see it.

P.S....I was in the area and able to attended the CAK vs Alcoa game last Thursday night and I hate to break it to ya, but I also think CAK & Alcoa is about 4-5 TD's better than both CPA and GP this year.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BOTH, but the 8th grade QB is doing very, very well for being 13 or 14 and playing against 17-18 year olds.

I went there and have been to 90% of their games (home & away) in the last 15 years since I graduated. But, I also tell it like I see it. I don't sugar coat things to make them seem better than they are. Goodpasture had a tough year off the field and it affected them on the field. I believe Coach Martin will get them ready for CPA and could possibly pull off the upset, but I feel that CPA is playing 14-21 point better football than Goodpasture is right now. I do believe that GP could win, but they will have to play a perfect game and defend the passes that CPA will show them. Goodpasture's weakness vs CPA is defending the 15-30 yard passes.

I don't know why people are getting so out of shape when a Goodpasture fan thinks the other team is better then them this year. I am just telling it like I see it.

P.S....I was in the area and able to attended the CAK vs Alcoa game last Thursday night and I hate to break it to ya, but I also think CAK & Alcoa is about 4-5 TD's better than both CPA and GP this year.

And everybody else in 3a.

I have a question for any of you Goodpasture fans out there. I have heard about the suspensions causing difficulties for your team this year, but I'm curious as to how young the Cougars are this season. Are you senior-heavy or are a lot of these guys going to be back next year? I ask this because I really think that Goodpasture could be a force to be reckoned with next season in 2A, and I hope that most of these kids will get a chance to make a statement next season after having to go through a lot of adversity this year. Good luck this Friday! Go Cougars

I have a question for any of you Goodpasture fans out there. I have heard about the suspensions causing difficulties for your team this year, but I'm curious as to how young the Cougars are this season. Are you senior-heavy or are a lot of these guys going to be back next year? I ask this because I really think that Goodpasture could be a force to be reckoned with next season in 2A, and I hope that most of these kids will get a chance to make a statement next season after having to go through a lot of adversity this year. Good luck this Friday! Go Cougars

Goodpasture had many young players get to play this year and get some great playing time during the suspenisons of the starters. That makes those young players even stronger and we should be in very good shape going into next year. Hopefully Goodpasture will be the "team to beat" for the next couple of years.

Goodpasture had many young players get to play this year and get some great playing time during the suspenisons of the starters. That makes those young players even stronger and we should be in very good shape going into next year. Hopefully Goodpasture will be the "team to beat" for the next couple of years.

Thanks for the reply, CougarBrown! It certainly sounds like you guys will be set for the next few seasons. That is exciting for the kids that have been through so much this year. Do you know if Goodpasture will continue the trend of scheduling up for the non-district games? I'd say that you all will be able to win many, if not all, of those match-ups next year.

Thanks for the candid comments. I was not getting bent out of shape, just asking. It appears from your comments that you are not concerned with the 8th grade QB leading the team, however you feel the weakness of the team is the pass defense. Are the defense backs that bad as well as the pass rush? The QB must be very good if you feel he will score enough points to compete. Does he have a better upside than the Reynolds kid who played last year?

I have been attenting Goodpasture games for about 10 years now, don't think I have missed more than 1 or 2 in that time. I think the defense is the best pass defense that I have seen from the Cougars. Haven't given up many points at all on the long pass. Cougars can do this! Gotta bring it, but CPA can be beat.

Edited by inthehuddle

Thanks for the candid comments. I was not getting bent out of shape, just asking. It appears from your comments that you are not concerned with the 8th grade QB leading the team, however you feel the weakness of the team is the pass defense. Are the defense backs that bad as well as the pass rush? The QB must be very good if you feel he will score enough points to compete. Does he have a better upside than the Reynolds kid who played last year?

The Reynolds kid is now the starting QB for Navy. The first true freshman to start for Navy in twenty years. There are no words to describe the vast difference in these two players or IMO the vast difference between this year's team and last years.

This is a rivalry rematch game and always a battle.

Goodpasture is much improved after a mid season slump due to the suspensions of (up to 13?) players. I understand they are back at full strength and have finished the season winning four of the last five. The have to be one of the strongest 7th seeds in 3A.

CPA defense showed a little weekness last night against a big, physical and fast Pearl-Cohn team giving up 25 points. The injury bug has hit CPA at linebacker with four of the starting linebackers out last night.

After CPA's first touchdown drive, Pearl-Cohn decided to defend with 8 in the box forcing CPA to go to the air. The result was CPA's best passing game in the last two years.

Pick your poison defending CPA run game and passing game.

I think this will be a close hard fought game, but CPA pulls it out late.

Since I got called out on the "Injury Report", I checked with someone on the team who told me that last weeks injuries were just temporary and not indicative of this weeks. So anyone scouting Coach T for inside information is out of luck.

The Reynolds kid is now the starting QB for Navy. The first true freshman to start for Navy in twenty years. There are no words to describe the vast difference in these two players or IMO the vast difference between this year's team and last years.

Reynolds is a great talent indeed. However, CPA seemed to contain him enough last year to win 2 games. Granted the second game was much closer and decided by a last second field goal. Most of CPA's players were juniors last year and are back again this year.

I have been attenting Goodpasture games for about 10 years now, don't think I have missed more than 1 or 2 in that time. I think the defense is the best pass defense that I have seen from the Cougars. Haven't given up many points at all on the long pass. Cougars can do this! Gotta bring it, but CPA can be beat.

Any team can be beat, It's sorta like when Goodpasture plays Lipscomb, you can throw the numbers out the window cause both teams are gonna bring it. I guess we have watched different Goodpastures play because most time the defender does not even turn around to find the ball when defending a pass and this has been their weekness for quite a few years. They do really well defending the run and the 5-10 yard pass, but the 15+ yard passes are not defended well.

Hopefully I am not giving GP enough credit and they will prove me wrong and take back the playoffs from CPA. I will be the first one out on the field congratulating them. It could happen but my gut is telling me it will be a long night Friday.