1st Rd Science Hill @ Oak Ridge

SweetScience

Toppers travel to Wildcat country coming off a big loss against the DB Indians, although SH was very impressive in defeat. Last time these two got together was in a torrential downpour in Johnson City in 1993. I remember, because i was at that game getting drenched. Oak Ridge won it by a field goal. I can't remember the last time Science Hill traveled to Oak Ridge. It may have been way back when Steve Spurrier was defeated at the hands of the Wildcats years ago @ Blankenship Field. As a player and a coach it has been said that Spurrier said that was the toughest loss he ever endured. My dad told me that. I have no clue where he heard it, so don't ask lol. Who wins and why?

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we've played a few times since '93, a playoff game in 2005 and a regular season game in'98.

SH ran the ball against DB more than I thought they would, and with some success. There is also Reed Hayes who can make plays through the air with the receivers and on the ground with his legs.

The SH defense is the question mark. Last night, they held a DB team averaging close to 60 points to 37. However, there are a lot of intangibles that you have to consider when discussing the SH/DB game.

If SH duplicates last night's defensive effort, they'll be tough to beat. But I don't know much about Oak Ridge to postulate a prediction.

Watched some film on OR, they got some athletes, in particular I saw some really good WR's. One of them looked real tall with long strides. But I will say this, I think losing to your biggest rival that you haven't beaten in 18 years by only 3 points.. That pissed SH players off. I hope they come out ready to redeem what they have worked so hard for. Then again, they could come out down though. Who knows SH 42 OR 35? Hard to guess.

I have seen both teams play this year. OR doesn't have a lot of depth but is very athletic and hard nosed. SH is bigger and stronger and can hurt OR with the vertical passing game which is what Maryville did to OR. They really bite on play action passing which SH doesn't do a lot of so I hope they watch that tape. OR has similar athletes to DB and runs a spread type offense.

You Wildcat fans know that Oak Ridge is my 2nd favorite team and my #1 Team for the Indians to play against...but I gotta tell ya, The Science Hill Hill Toppers have a very good football team. That QB wearing Steve Spurrior #11 (first player since Spurrior to wear it by the way) is something else...what an athlete and he can throw it. The Toppers just kill you with his ability to keep a play alive. Ya'll remember that, because you will be talking about it after the game.

I haven't seen the Wildcats play this year or for what 5 seasons now, but my guess is if the Toppers play like the did last Friday night...then they will be playing Maryville the next week.

I hope it is a great game, that's what the Playoffs are for

Edited by ArtVandalay

I think we've played a few times since '93, a playoff game in 2005 and a regular season game in'98.

SH ran the ball against DB more than I thought they would, and with some success. There is also Reed Hayes who can make plays through the air with the receivers and on the ground with his legs.

The SH defense is the question mark. Last night, they held a DB team averaging close to 60 points to 37. However, there are a lot of intangibles that you have to consider when discussing the SH/DB game.

If SH duplicates last night's defensive effort, they'll be tough to beat. But I don't know much about Oak Ridge to postulate a prediction.

You're right. We have played since 93. Last time we hooked up was in the 2005 playoffs. Oak Ridge took that one 48-28. Oak Ridge leads the all time series with Science Hill 12-6-1. You never know, guys. Science Hill may have shot their wad last night and played their best game of the year..You just never know in HS football. Playing Campbell County your last game, and it was their (Campbell Co.) Senior night, they had nothing to lose and Campbell Co is an improved team, and i would bet money OR took them a little lightly. It's hard not to do that, being we drum them every year, but it looks like they have a good coaching staff there, finally. I'm definitely sure Oak Ridge will come out with fire, this being their 1st home playoff game since 2005. I'm sure the Toppers will be tough to beat, though. Dang, is this quad 1 tough or what? GEEZ lol

I miss coming to the Ship and watching the Wildcats walk down the stairs. Some of my favorite memories are from that field. Science hill is going to be tuff to beat. That's a dangerous team with a great qb. Should be an awesome game. Good luck to both. You've got Maryville after that.

Yeah, really something to look forward to, isn't it? Getting Maryville afterwards. YIPEE!!!! lol

Obviously I give SH their props but The Ship is a hard place for an opponent to win in - especially if you are Not used to playing there. It will be far harder for SH at The Ship than J. Fred was last night. The OR fans are really loud and those shakers are deafening. Good luck to both of you. No injuries.