For informational purposes only.

I think you should have read what I just said, but I'll say it again....I'm sure of the rule, but thought he was on or just past the goal line. That's okay, you're not hurtin my feelings, go ahead if it makes you feel better. Now as I said, after seeing the photo, I can see he wasn't where I thought he was.

But you didn't know the rule, or see the play right

I wouldn't read too much into the blowho's on the News Sentinel message board. They rail on us (CAK) constantly as well and we're in Knox County. Even on the non-sports threads there are constantly a bunch of the same posters spewing a bunch of nonsense. The vast majority of the area's high school football faithful have nothing but respect for the Maryville program. Sure, who wouldn't want to beat Maryville or Alcoa? You got to beat the best to be the best. I've got nothing but RESPECT for the Rebels. However, you Maryville supporters are savvy enough to know that once you did get beat, that if you ever questioned a call you would be scrutinized heavily by many of those outside the Rebel Nation. Its human nature. I for one believe it was a very bad call. It bothered me the most because it negated one of the most brilliant play calls under pressure that I have ever seen. But I certainly don't believe it is the reason Maryville lost. It dilutes the argument just a bit when DaHaven drove the ball the length of the field and should have ended the game in regulation except for some confusion between the players and the coach resulted in time expiring. I understand how the blown call makes it just a bit harder to swallow though. I thought GQ and the players all handled themselves with the class of champions. Congrats again on an incredible season, even when you're down your up compared to most :thumb:

The Maryville posters must never frequent the fever swamps of the Sentinel comments sections. Lame brained leftists there mostly who mistakenly believe they're God's gift to intelligence and likely never graced a field, court or any other playing surface in high school or anywhere else.

With that said, I wish the Maryville posters on here who fancy themselves armchair psychologists would get over their victim hangups, thinking, as they do, that it's their team's winning ways that have inexorably scarred the minds of fans of other teams who haven't beaten the Rebels. In any human endeavor from politics to business to sports or anything else you can name there are always those who love to see failure by those who have had success. One poster at the Sentinel site even admitted as much by saying he was experiencing schadenfreude. There are others, such as myself, who can admire the success of a team like Maryville because of how it's achieved through the coaching, the disciplined play, the facilities, the unified community and all the other component parts, regardless of whether or not my team can or has ever beaten the Rebels.

'MHS82'

In high school, the only time this penalty is every flagged is when it is obvious a lineman is well beyond the line usually over 5 yds. It is normally only called when a QB has to scramble and the linemen release too soon. I would bet it has not been called all year on a play inside the 5 yd line. IMO...This ref. was looking to make a call. He should have to explain his call to TSSAA.

With that said, I can't say this call was the reason Maryville lost. There were too many missed opportunities and WH is an excellent team. Congrats to WH.

Definetely a very very bad call....lineman only on 2 yard line; 2 yards or less from line of scrimmage.. it did cost Rebels the win ..

Today I was able to review the game on TSSAA and really had a hard time telling if the lineman was far enough downfield or not. I did notice that the quarterback was in illegal motion by never getting set and should have been flagged. No dog in the fight but it would have been wrong for the play to have stood without flag being thrown. Both teams had their chances and it was an outstanding game.

Well the still photo shows #50 at tha 2 yard line and tha bawl being caught by Myers....

And wrong on tha othur count ov illegal motion...If Myers had taken the snap you would be correct...But Myers was set with Prevo.....allowed to approach the line and make the audible and as the snap went to Prevo, Myers then went in motion and did NOT turn up the field before the ball was snapped....(jist like any other receiver or back going in motion)......And Prevo was set as he took the snap as required....

And a call was just made up....or Mr. Gary Darden did not know the rule from as presented above..... :popcorneater:

Edited by STARSNBARS

'STARSNBARS'

In my mind a vurry bad "made up call" DBSFB64........ :popcorneater:

Stars im sure it was .never ever saw it called before in many years of watching f/b...ive seen as bad in bb but not f/b....would say worse on this but wont ..congrats n another great season and lookin forward to next year already..I see Nellie Bell got yall there and back again as recrootin and gerbige collection must go on..

see ya next year old friend.. :rolleyes:

'STARSNBARS'

In my mind a vurry bad "made up call" DBSFB64........ :popcorneater:

Stars im sure it was .never ever saw it called before in many years of watching f/b...ive seen as bad in bb but not f/b....would say worse on this but wont ..congrats n another great season and lookin forward to next year already..I see Nellie Bell got yall there and back again as recrootin and gerbige collection must go on..

see ya next year old friend.. :rolleyes:

Thanks buddy ..Merry Christmas and Happy New Year from Mairvul two ewe and yourns!!!

Definately not a motion call.... who threw the flag .. umpire ??? Cant believe that call was made at that time .. when the lineman was still on about the 2 when pass crossed line .... and had no bearing on play ... officlal had to be looking for something to pick that out ... QB was wide open ... hope the lineman knows he didnt do anything wrong .. hate for kids that young to think they are responsible for a blown call by an official .. officials are there to call the obvious .. dont try to distinguish between 2 to 3 yards ... very unusual for a call of that nature .. never heard of a lineman downfield call on an point after TD and I have watched alot of football.

Edited by Tadvols

The ref was actually positioned perfect he was standing on the goal line looking at everything in front of him , as long as no lineman gets past him , It couldn't be inelligible downfield , I've actually been told by someone I'm pretty sure knows what they're talking about that the call on a 2 point play cannot be made , impossible to do from 3 yd line . All you guys saying we're whining if we even talk about it .... Hilarious , we know exactly what would be going on if the hated Murvil had got that call for them in that same situation . We've all already said we lost , we know that , we know all about the 4 turnovers .... That doesn't mean we can't discuss a play that was a huge part of the game . I just say next time we're in this situation let's leave no doubt by not having it close enough where one call can change the game !

Obviously the outcome of the game at this point will NEVER change because of a bad call. HOwever, I think discussion and media attention (Blount Press Row's story is great, as was Smithey's Prep Xtra) on the missed call that cost the Rebels the LEAD (not necessarily the game) is a good thing. It brings about attention to the referees again.

I saw a good point yesterday. If a player preforms poorly, he looses playing time. If coaches preform poorly, they are fired. If referees preform poorly, they are talked about on message boards and ignored by their governing body (TSSAA).

What I don't understand is you have the top two programs in the state at any given year playing in the largest division and State Title game. Why in the world would the TSSAA have the ABSOLUTELY VERY BEST crew on the field? How are referees chosen for these games?? I can nearly guarantee it's seniority and not ability. Mr Darden and his clueless white-hatted friend must have been doing this for a long time, so they got the spot. No ability analysis, no question on how good they are or what their backgrounds were. They have been asking for 10 years, so they got the game. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. How else would incompetent refs get such an important game? The players have worked too hard to become the best to receive sub par referees, and the TSSAA should do something about this for the future. PUT YOUR BEST REFS ON THE FIELD FOR STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES.