Interesting view on transfers

Indian

I got no problem with it. pardon.gif

I think "total anarchy" is a little melodramatic.

Kids transfer all the time for a number of reasons. Better band, better theatre, unique curriculum, better environment, safer school, more convenient, financial reason, etc. Why do we only have a problem with it when the student is an athlete transfering for athletic reasons?

Although local school boards can certainly be corrupt, I doubt they would let "total anarchy" ensue. What we have now is selective investigation and selective enforcement of the T$$AA rules regarding transfers.

If a parent believes that their kid's best shot at getting an athletic scholarship to college is to transfer to another program, why should the T$$AA stand in the way? If a kid has a legitimate non-athletic reason to transfer but also wants to participate in sports, why should the T$$AA stand in the way? If a local school board says it is okay for a student to attend a certain school, why should the T$$AA be allowed to deny that student's eligibility to participate in sports? I know ... the parents can request a "hardship" from that Childress boy (who I don't like so much, by the way), but how often are hardships actually granted? I suspect not very often, but nobody knows.

If the ruling regarding the T$$AA's records being subject to public access stands, the lid might just get blown off of the good ole boys organization. Oh wait ... I forgot ... the T$$AA is there to protect our children and preserve the integrity of high school athletics. nevermind.gif

Edited by MountainTroll
  • Upvote 1

Just to make a full disclosure. Whether it is fully or selectively enforced by the TSSAA is not important. Athletic Recruiting is against the rules that schools in TN play by and should be considered cheating.

BTW, you are so right. Probably happens in every gym in Memphis as well as the rest of TN and the USA. And whether the parents, faculty, or students like it, it is more than likely happening at their particular school. But that still does not make it "legal".

MtTroll. exactly. any child can pretty much transfer to any school for academic reasons with little or no questions asked. Yes, you still have to fill out the paperwork but nearly 100% of the time, they are approved. However, Band, Chorus, art, theatre, etc are not under the TSSAA umbrella of authority. That first "A" unfortunatley does not stand of Academics.

In reality players only want to play for better teams... Living in Memphis I've seen it the past 8 years since I've been keeping up with high school basketball.. The only way some of these players get recruited is by playing at bigger schools with better programs and better players... Yes kids would like to win state championship but in reality they want to get the big exposure to get to play at the next level...