Middle TN Grand Championships

In Hoc Signo Vinces

If you are fimiliar with how these youth tournament= registrations on Track go you would know that most clubs will register tonight. My club will in fact register about 30 tonight and between all the clubs in my area we will add at least another 60 to the 75 number. There are many clubs that haven't registered anyone yet.

Yes.....all 75 of them.

Anyone who is interested here are a few observations from todays Grand Championships;

Insufficient parking. The lot was packed and not enough spaces to accommodate all the vehicles.

$10 admission for adults

4 mats in the small gym for high school varsity and j.v.

Concessions had drinks, candy, chips, pop corn and ordered pizza to sell by the slice. I would call the "food court" poor at best.

Wrestling started at 9 am. Some jv matches then varsity.

At 4 pm tournament officials decided they did not have enough time to complete the junior varsity portion on the event. Informed the remaining wrestler's j. v.

matches would end at 4:15 so they would have time to complete the varsity matches. They were told if they had extra time they would have some matches after the varsity finals.

No medals would be given out and all matches would be exhibition only. The reason, the tournament had to vacate the building at 6 pm.

(The time change was not noted on the web site.)

Several j.v's on our team sat in the gym for ten hours and wrestled one match. One comment from a tournament director was " I am sorry".

I will give credit to the officials in the fact that they kept the mats going with little down. And there was some good wrestling.

Overall this was a poorly run tournament that left a lot of wrestlers and parent disappointed.