Middle TN Grand Championships

In Hoc Signo Vinces

Thank you for providing an example to everyone that wasn't at the tourney, the kind of behavior some adults showed. So if you post your video, maybe someone posts one that shows the dad on the mat and the audio records him verbally assaulting (the legal term for threatening someone) that minor and then the boy's parents press charges against him....This situation occurred because there was tired officials, a kid stalling, another kid attacking ( we all thought the point was for stalling not unsportsman-like conduct) and no security. It was the second to last match of the long, poorly run, tournament. I'm not familiar with either program but if there is a history between the two then maybe your posts make some sense (from a whinning stand point mentioned in an earlier post)but either way it has no place on this thread and your video post threats should be taken seriously by the moderator. I agree with bear, teams should look to another event next year.

I wasn't there so I don't know what happened but I can say this. I coached Tyler over the summer at the Dixie Duals, he's a stand up kid. Never had any problems with him on or off the mat the entire trip. I watched him wrestle a young kid from Bradley, either an 8th grader or freshman, and he was EXTREMELY professional about the match. So I don't know what happened here but my guess is bothbsides need to be heard before jumping on and bashing a child. Cause that sounds uncharacteristic of Tyler.

However, I've been around the sport a long time and I HAVE seen parents or fans of a team get upset and completely blow something out of proportion because their kid lost. Making things up to justify a loss. Not suggesting anything just saying.

WG

Edited by WrestlingGod

I will also add, as a coach, we can deal with a bad tournament if the hospitality room is ok. Was nonexistent at this tournament. Had to go to the youth tournament to get coffee that was not in the hospitality room over there. So many wrongs this year. But I did see why Bruno Regan is the #1 HWT in the state, as he demolished all his competition, including a pin of MBA's big guy. On top of that, he is a good guy, good luck to him throughout this season. Did get a chance to speak with Coach Blosser, and he is a stand up guy as well. Just still have a bad taste in my mouth from the actual tournament.

I said earlier last year this tournament was so horribly ran I'm surprise teams came back this year and after what was happening yesterday I bet no one will come back next season. With the Bradley and Beech tournament the same weekend and how well they are ran that's where these other teams need to start scattering.

I was told that some teams returned this year because they gave their word to the tournament director that they would give the tournament 2 years to be a success. When teams like MBA & Father Ryan opt to attend the Middle Tennessee Grand Championships instead of much more high profile tournaments it tells me that those coaches are trying to help wrestling in Middle Tennessee.

As a parent from MBA High School, knowing a good match to my satisfaction, I watched the 170 CHS / Dickson Finals. However, as a user had said earlier, there was no shoving or hitting in the face by Crane. Nor any un-sportsman like conduct. As Webster was backing away, Crane shoved him out of bounds and Webster clearly made it look like he was pushed harder than intended. Crane had no intent to push or shove harder than necessary, but just being aggressive. Like any other Finals match. The parent of Webster , threatened Crane, and should have never been on the mat. Webster never received a point because of un-sportsman like conduct, but because of an escape. The ref was reacting to the Dickson crowd, not to what happened on the mat. And to add, I recall never seeing Crane grin to his Coach.

As a parent from MBA High School, knowing a good match to my satisfaction, I watched the 170 CHS / Dickson Finals. However, as a user had said earlier, there was no shoving or hitting in the face by Crane. Nor any un-sportsman like conduct. As Webster was backing away, Crane shoved him out of bounds and Webster clearly made it look like he was pushed harder than intended. Crane had no intent to push or shove harder than necessary, but just being aggressive. Like any other Finals match. The parent of Webster , threatened Crane, and should have never been on the mat. Webster never received a point because of un-sportsman like conduct, but because of an escape. The ref was reacting to the Dickson crowd, not to what happened on the mat. And to add, I recall never seeing Crane grin to his Coach.

They should have been ashamed to charge anybody to come to this debacle of a tournament. It was at BA, but they didn't wrestle. They charged $10 to get in, with no parking. There were 4 mats, split by a big wall. The concession stand was a table with nothing of interest. What happened to the bout board they had last year, they just put weight classes on a screen. I think Chuck Bean just lost a lot of his hard earned money trying to revive this. My suggestion, having wrestled in the old MTGC. Make it a 1 day varsity only tournament, single elimination to the semis. It worked then, trying to do to much now. I heard some coaches complaining of their JV guys getting only 1 match, and the schools being charged $10 per JV wrestler. Pitiful. My guess is that this will not be on anyone's schedule next season.

I would like to clear some misinformation about the 170lb finals and team scores. Team scores first. Ryan dominated the tournament. Dickson finished 2nd, aided by a flu outbreak in MBA's ranks. MBA did well placing third considering.

As for the 170lb finals. Macon Webster of Dickson received an unnecessary roughness penalty point near the end of the match. The action resulting in the call was from two shoves out of bounds in a row that were in no way unsportsmanlike. Tyler Crane was simply wrestling hard to gain more points and Macon wasn't giving anything up at that point. There was never any punches thrown nor smiles at his coach as has been indicated. Tyler was wrestling tough and physical and I applaud him for it. That attitude and aggressiveness will do him well at the state tournament and Dickson wishes him well. Coach Blosser et al have the same professionalism, politeness, and competitive nature that I have seen from Clarksville since the 1990's. The posts I have read attempting to shed a negative light on Tyler and Clarksville misrepresent what he and they are about. There was nothing unusual about the match--some rough wrestling resulted in a penalty, and a passionate parent took offense to the roughness. Happens all the time. Enough said.

Thank you Coach Badon for clearing this up.

I know both programs well and would hope nothing like what had been stated was indeed happening.

It takes an upstanding guy to get on here and publicly set the record straight.

I am also impressed that Macon made it to the finals against Tyler. Both good wrestlers that I look forward to seeing more of this season.

This post here convinced me to register and comment...

Get a grip. Wrestling is a tough, aggressive sport and getting pushed out of bounds is a

legal move. This is wrestling to the last whistle, sprinting through the finish line, protecting your quarterback till the play is over. How many times have you seen a match get turned around when a win was obvious, or so we thought.

This exact thing happened to my son last year. He was a freshman wrestling a very aggressive talented Cleveland Senior who pushed him out exactly like that, and my son lost a point for getting pushed out! However, the response was much different. Instead of yelling at the other team's kid, my son and I talked about how aggressive and successful this Cleveland kid was. My son learned he has to pick up his game in order to compete with the talent that is out there. This year he is reaping the benefits of that lesson. He is doing it on his own without daddy coming to the rescue.

Another very important lesson that our wrestling kids learn is emotional control. There is nothing that makes me prouder than to see an intense, combative match, and then see both kids getting along off the mat like good friends, talking it up. When parents get involved, screaming and yelling, they change the outcome of that opportunity to develop mature, level headed, cool under pressure men.

Additionally, if you don't trust the refs to do the right thing, knowing that sometimes bad calls are going to be made, then get your kid out of wrestling.

BTW, good job Macon on 2nd place as a Sophomore.

• Upvote 1

I'm in a different time zone - not CC's.

Seriously...

This thread has now risen to a classy level... I'm really glad about this!

My congrats to a fine person, full of integrity... Coach Badon. This is consistent with the same fella that helped build Franklin back to a very respectable program over the past several years, and more recently put Dickson on the wrestling map the past 10+ years (nearly singlehandedly)!!!

...My hats off to you coach Tommy and to the other fine coaches at Clarksville for keeping the high road as they always do. Congrats to the 170 finalists for giving the crowd their money's worth! Congrats to those in stripes for your hanging in there!

Congrats to Ryan & MBA (also class acts) for offering your support to an icon we've all known in Chuck Bean for some 35 years.

NOW, Please consider a bit of mercy & yes... seventy times seven - cheek turning forgiveness.

...Many times we are not aware of the challenges one may face that are not seen. Be patient and try to quietly accept that none of this was intended as it turned out. You can easily weigh out other options for this weekend - next year ...or inquire what could be done to support the Mid-Tn concept not yet achieved and provide solutions for the future if you really like it.

But, let's not sling mud at one who has given his whole life to help build our sport.

• Upvote 1

First, I was not at the high school tournament Saturday, I was there Friday night with the middle school kids. For whatever reason the event got moved and BA stepped up and allowed the use of their outstanding facility. Thank you for that!

The flow of the tournament was not always the best, noticed the concession stand pickings were slim. I came to coach wrestling and I did. The officials hustled and did a great job holding all the loose ends together. So I got to do what I came to do, get mat time for Richniew Middles wrestlers.

I have been involved with setting up and managing Slamfest and the State Duals with Artie Manning for several years and it's not easy to get done smoothly. Rather than criticize and quit, offer suggestions and help. It nice to have a good tournament close by, help make it great instead of walking away.

As far as the CHS/DCHS controversy, again I wasn't there, I know that Coach Blosser , Coach Holker nor Coach Manning are teaching dirty wrestling. They are teaching push the match, physical, tough wrestling. The same thing that Coach Jordan and Coach Cobb did since the 90's. I know this because I am in the wrestling room regularly, as I have been since 2001, and all that's going on there are legal moves and the same leave it all on the mat philosophy that is the CHS Wrestling.

I have also been around Tyler Crane for 3.5 years and you wont find a finer example of a student / athlete / leader around. He is highly motivated, super strong, terrifically fit and a great competitor. He would not deliberately or maliciously do anything outside the rules of the game. What he would do is try as hard as he can to put you on your back. That's wrestling!

If Coach Badon, who was there, says it was just wrestling you can believe it! He is a class act as well as a great coach who I have a lot of respect for!

• Upvote 1