Oneida Boys

SmashMouth

Sitting here, typing, enjoying the warmth of my 5th TMSAA Championship sweat shirt. I think coach Sexton is coach of the year, but what do I know. 7 championship appearance in 9 years, winning 5 in a row. Just another day on the reservation.

Congrats to Allen and King for getting All-State honors. Great group of seniors, great group of boys. Jesse King in 8th grade still made the best play I have ever seen from a D lineman at any level. God's Speed boys in your travels.

Also, Big congrats to Mr. Shay West, senior at Tuscum College. Now, a 2nd Time All-American long snapper who has been invited to the combine. THE combine! For those of you not aware, that is the try-out the NFL uses to draft prospective players. Might see Shay on Sundays. Rock On with that!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Middle School has a state championship? You got to be kiddin me! They have schools from all over the state or is this just a East Tn championship? Hog wash!

Sure Dude....to be fair...what is commonly called a "State Championship" (which is written on the trophy by the TMSAA) is actually a Sectional or Regional Championship.

What is not Hog wash! is that Oneida Middle school has only lost 2 games in 5 years. The two games were to Lenior City (enrollment 1600) Oneida enrollment is about 280. Oneida has one of the best middle school programs any where, in any state or any region.

Does that clean it up for ya?

Yes it's nice to see hard work get some appreciation

Yes it is injun. Congrats again to Dylan West, who after several years of hard work as a walk-on at Tennessee, earned a scholarship to play football. Outstanding young man with a great story!

I saw his picture twice in the Vololympics!

Edited by SmashMouth

SmashMouth, Lenior City Middle had 330 students 4 years ago. They now have a little over 500 students. Where did you get 1,600 students from? One thing everyone can agree on though, OMS has a great program and coach!

Well, I remember looking up the enrollment of the team we played cause 1,600 seemed like an awful lot and it was 1579 or something close to that. The 1600 stuck in my mind.

I also remember the coach of the team we played saying he had 200 boys show up for football tryouts. Oneida Middle doesn't have 150 boys total!

Having said that, the biggest middle school I can find in Knoxville now....is 1,286! ( http://public-schools.findthebest.com/d/a/TN ) so now I'm not so certain where I found my info 4 years ago! <_<

Definately doesnt sound like Lenior City even if ya'll only count 7th and 8th graders. I might call up Coach Sexton to double check.

Sorry to add a thousand kids to your school. Your teachers might get mad! :rolleyes:

In any case, My main point was Oneida has been very sucessful playing teams like CAK, Harriman (back in the day HMS was a beastly middle school), Webb (scrimmages), Clinton, the biggest Anderson County schools, Grace Christian and many more teams over a entire decade!!! That's very impressive if you like Oneida or not. Pointing out the fact that the Championship is not a "State Championship" is kinda jerky.

Also, just for the record and to be fair and equitable......some of the best Oneida players have come from Scott County. Strangely enough, Oneida is IN Scott County.

Also, also, there are some teams Oneida would have a hard time even staying on the field playing against (i.e. Alcoa, Maryville...etc)

All things considered, as a fan of football....7 A, AA, AAA Sectional Championship appearances in 9 years, and winning the last 5 of those AA, AAA Sectional Championships is very impressive.

(Oneida is actually AA but choose to play up to AAA the last two years)

• 3 weeks later...

On a better note....Congrats to Douglas Manning for pursing his dream to play for the Vols. I know he had several full scholarships to play soccer at some very good smaller schools.

All a person can ask for in this life is an opportunity to compete! Sharpen that toe Douglas!

http://www.ihoneida.com/sports/2013/03/manning-gets-his-shot-at-ut/