GP West/Bruin Inv.

nooga

CBHS wins 7 out of 14 matches from these results, 5 out of 7 of those matches were very close and decided by only a couple points so they could go either way (120 126 195 and 220). Cleveland would win 160 and pin at 132 and 182 for bonus points. Cleveland's 285 finsied 2nd compared to CBHS 285 who finished 5th/6th and pinned common opponent that majored CBHS so Cleveland would probably get a win there also potentially with bonus points. Looking at common opponents from this tournament 106 would be another that could go either way and CBHS would probably win at 152 with bonus points. The 4 close matches would have different results every time so you could easily split these matches for an accurate projection. 195 was winning and made mistake and lost by 2 and 126 just returned to the mat for the first time this year a week ago and lost by 2. Either way, It would be an exciting and fun dual for both of these top programs to face off head to head at full strength. My projections for a current head to head dual:

106 Clev dec 3-0

113 CBHS w/bonus pts 3-4

120 CBHS dec 3-7

126 Clev dec 6-7

132 Clev w/bonus pts 12-7

138 Clev dec 15-7

145 CBHS w/bonus pts 15-13

152 CBHS w/bonus pts 15-19

160 Clev dec 18-19

170 CBHS w/bonus pts 18-24

182 Clev w/bonus pts 24-24

195 Clev dec 27-24

220 CBHS dec 27-27

285 Clev w/bonus pts 33-27

Even with a loss at one of the other close matches that were split, Cleveland still wins by 3. Just my projections, I'm sure others have their own opinions. I know CBHS won earlier in the year by 2 points while Cleveland was missing 3 #1 ranked wrestlers, 2 of those who would pin for 12 points. CBHS, Cleveland, and Soddy Daisy are clearly the best in the state this year and all three are pretty even from what I've seen.

Way too many excuses when Cleveland loses. Injuries and extenuating circumstances are not exclusive to Cleveland wrestling.

Fact is, CBHS has beaten Cleveland twice this year, and has not been full strength either time.

Let the spinning continue...

Edited by TO338

I left at the last whistle... In case I wasn't the only one who wondered who the MOW's in this tournament were, I remembered sitting by the Tennesseeans Maurice Patton and figured he'd have a writeup. Sure enough- Here it is...

[Photo] Franklin's Alex Bennett controls Tyler Garrison of Blackman in the 152-pound semifinals at the G.P. West Invitational on Saturday. Bennett won the match, but lost in the final. / Larry McCormack / The Tennessean

Written by

Maurice Patton

The Tennessean

BRENTWOOD — Respected locally for its longevity, the G.P. West Invitational wrestling tournament is earning kudos for its competitiveness as well.

Only two Midstate wrestlers earned individual championships at Saturday’s event at Brentwood High School, and Ravenwood’s fifth-place finish was the best performance among local teams.

“It’s better than any other tournament I’ve been to all year,†said Ravenwood senior Jacob Freeman, who improved to 36-1 on the season with his 8-0 win over Luke Parish of Christian Brothers in the 145-pound final. “You’ve got some great Division I teams here, some great DII teams, and Union County (Kentucky), which could compete nationally.

“Luke Parish wrestles every day with Kaleb Baker, who is ranked 15th in the nation. There’s a lot of great competition here.â€

Clarksville’s Bruno Reagan posted a first-period pin of Cleveland’s Koran Kennedy in the 285-pound final for the only other local individual title.

“It’s the hardest tournament in Middle Tennessee, no questions asked,†Reagan said after going to 31-0. “And it’s starting to shape up as one of the toughest in the state. With all the DII teams and the out-of-state talent, it’s a great stepping stone to build off of and get ready for the state tournament. We have a saying on our team that, however you finish here is how you finish at the state.â€

Clarksville finished seventh on Saturday.

Battle Ground Academy’s Pierce Olson (138), Franklin’s Alex Bennett (152), Blackman’s Tyler Sells (160), Clarksville’s Tyler Crane (170) and Ravenwood’s Rex Shotts (220) all finished second.

“Once we finalized the team list and started keeping an eye on the rankings, we knew this was going to culminate into a good, hard day of wrestling,†Brentwood coach Joe Blair said. “You had the top two teams in Tennessee, the No. 2 team in Kentucky, with McCallie, Franklin, Blackman and Ravenwood, all of which have been in the team rankings at some point this season.â€

Christian Brothers, ranked in the Top 50 in Intermats.com’s national listing and No. 1 in the state in DII, finished with 267 points to win the team title — just ahead of Cleveland (261.5), the top team in Division I. Union County (197.5) and McCallie (188.5) rounded out the top four.

“We thought it would come down to us and Cleveland, and it did,†Christian Brothers ccach Chris Lewis said. “But there are a lot of good wrestlers here. It’s a great tournament to tune up for state.â€

It was a costly win for Christian Brothers, as freshman 106-pounder Tanner Tidswell suffered an elbow injury in his championship match against McCallie’s Addison Connell and had to default. The initial diagnosis was a torn ulnar collateral ligament.

“He was 33-7 for us, having a great freshman year,†Lewis said. “If that’s what it is, it’s a three- to six-month recovery. That’s going to be tough.â€

Reagan and Union County 126-pounder Brock Ervin won outstanding wrestler honors. The 132-pound championship match between McCallie’s Adam Connell and Cleveland’s Haden Hamilton was voted best match, as Connell got a takedown and three near-fall points in the final five seconds for a 7-2 win.

G.P. West Invitational

at Brentwood High School

Team scores: Christian Brothers 267; Cleveland 261.5; Union Co. (Ky.) 197.5; McCallie 188.5; Ravenwood 124.5; Blackman 107; Clarksville 98; Franklin 95.5; Siegel 68; Brentwood 65; Cookeville 57; Overton 54; Battle Ground Acad. 32.5; Franklin Road Acad. 22; Centennial 20; McGavock 13; Houston 13; Antioch 12, Page 11; Lipscomb 2.

Championship finals: 106 – Connell (McC) by injury default over Tidswell (CBHS); 113 – Oliver (CBHS) p. DeBien (Clv), 1;20; 120 – Blackwell (UC) p. Santi (CBHS), 0:51; 126 – Ervin (UC) p. Gray (CBHS), 2:46; 132 – Connell (McC) d. Hamilton (Clv) 7-2; 138 – Carr (UC) d. Olson (BGA) 13-7; 145 – Freeman (Rvd) md. Parish (CBHS) 8-0; 152 – Baker (CBHS) d. Bennett (Fkn) 9-4; 160 – Lopez (Clv) d. Sells (Blk) 3-1; 170 – Walthall (CBHS) d. Crane (Clks) 12-8; 182 – West (Clv) d. Hoodenpyle (McC) 11-5; 195 – McOlgan (CBHS) d. Stukanov (Clv) 14-11; 220 – Cook (McC) d. Stotts (Rvd) 10-6; 285 – Reagan (Clks) p. Kennedy (Clv), 1:15.

Reach Maurice Patton at 615-259-8018 or mopatton@tennessean.com.

View Comments  |  Share your thoughts »

ADVERTISEMENT

Copyright © 2013 www.tennessean.com. All rights reserved.

Hoping that next year they go back to the 2 day format. The loss of quality matches for the 3rd-6th placers who were 5 match ruled seemed such a shame this close to state.

Not trying to be too picky here but where were the medal stands? Great competition and the tournament ran well, but I thought the ending was just a bit watered down. JMHO.

rlwest40,

What brought you up from Chickamauga or wherever you came from to Cleveland..? Not a big deal, but was west 100% sat?? Quite talented, Seemed a bit tired to me for Jan, but did what he had to do.

Really none of your business why I left Cleveland a few years ago or why I returned this past summer but I will say Ethan is glad to be back home. As far as Ethan is concerned, he's had the flu and been vommitting the past few days so I'm sure he was tired and weak, about 5 or 6 lbs under. Wasnt planning on mentioning it cuz then someone always crys about excuses but since you ask there you go. Still had enough in him to win the tournament against DIV 2 #1 ranked wrestler in the finals. Then again, its hard to get in great shape when you pin 98% of your opponents in the 1st period. I appreciate your concern and rest assured he'll be running laps since he didnt pin in the finals. I'll let him know he looked subpar to your standards.

U r welcome, and but ur r right... absolutely non of my business but Thx 4 answering anyway; and the last time I saw ethanol ethan wrestle was the summer of 2010 in GA.. I thought he appeared less than what he usually puts out.. U should take that as a complement since gp west is one of the toughest tournaments, in TN. Glad you'll moved up..!

Really none of your business why I left Cleveland a few years ago or why I returned this past summer but I will say Ethan is glad to be back home. As far as Ethan is concerned, he's had the flu and been vommitting the past few days so I'm sure he was tired and weak, about 5 or 6 lbs under. Wasnt planning on mentioning it cuz then someone always crys about excuses but since you ask there you go. Still had enough in him to win the tournament against DIV 2 #1 ranked wrestler in the finals. Then again, its hard to get in great shape when you pin 98% of your opponents in the 1st period. I appreciate your concern and rest assured he'll be running laps since he didnt pin in the finals. I'll let him know he looked subpar to your standards.

You are now my new favorite poster on this board. Good luck the rest of the season and post season.

Arrogance is written all over this post no matter how you twist it. And Soms, if you would like to know the answer, ask the Gordon Lee coach. Sounds as if he has been pretty vocal about the whole situation.

Arrogance is written all over this post no matter how you twist it. And Soms, if you would like to know the answer, ask the Gordon Lee coach. Sounds as if he has been pretty vocal about the whole situation.

I would accuse you of being Soms but you actually make coherent sentences. I think rlwest post has arrogance all over it because it was intentional due to Soms original statement. I do have one question though and I hope rlwest40 doesnt jump on me too. I've read several times that they moved "back" to Cleveland. I thought he was from dade County originally and then moved to Gordon lee before going to Cleveland? I would take anything that comes out of the Gordon lee network with a grain of salt. They arent known for being the most above board group out there by any stretch of the imagination.