2013 Sullivan South Rebels

2000southreb81

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the real question is does Kingsport take over 1 or both of these schools before consolidation can happen. I

The Kingsport BMA/BOE doesn't have a say in this at all. Even if they did, both of these schools were funded with some sort of "county only" funding mechanism which ensures the city has to actually purchase the facilities in order to run them. They can't simply assume operation of the school like the city did with Lynn Garden, Westview and other schools in the past. The county isn't about to simply turn over some of their best facilities.

We'll see how it all shakes out. I've got 8th grade and 11th grade kids. Their teachers seem to be convinced that this is a done deal. There was an interesting article in the Times-News yesterday about the TSSAA being in contact with the school system about the merger. The way I read it the TSSAA's preferred solution is for the high school to keep an existing school name and number for 2 years and participate in the already scheduled home/away contracted games, conference schedule, and playoffs (presumably 4A for football). Then, after 2 years, go through their standard realignment process for schools whose enrollment has changed more than 20%. At that point the school could change names and schedule games with their new conference partners during the normal 2-year home/away game scheduling cycle. You'd have a big school competing against the other 4A schools but what else could you do unless TSSAA changes the rules. Personally, I think it will be a 5A school in 2 years. I don't know how many will end up going to Dobyns-Bennett but I think I read that there were between 300 and 400 Kingsport city kids going to North and South right now instead of D-B. I know D-B could not hold that many more kids but Kingsport won't quit annexing...

That is the way I understood the article as well. It seems to make the most sense. While my preference is for things to remain unchanged, that option seems unlikely at this point. During my playing days I actually lived about 2 blocks from Ketron but went to South as I grew up in Colonial Heights and did not want to change schools. I always enjoyed the rivalry between the two schools, there were some intense battles on the field. I hope the student athletes can embrace the change should it happen this way. It will be interesting to see what happens with the coaching staffs as well. Maybe North/South can pull a "Remember the Titans".

• 2 weeks later...

Any scrimmages on the schedule for this spring yet?

I haven't heard yet RR. I think a lot of things have been on hold for spring ball because of the SCBOE's threatening proposals. I'll post if I hear something.

Keeping with that topic though, I do hope they will schedule two scrimmages with comparable to better programs to challenge the team. Last year's docket of an undermanned Happy Valley and a depleted North squad did not do much to help the team. I would like to see them go against D-B, SH or the Morristown teams now that they won't be playing any of them. I think better teams expose weaknesses much better and should help coaches focus on those areas moving toward and into summer camp. I didn't see any of last spring's scrimmage offense run during South's season last year and it looked very effective against the opposition. I'll admit we weren't testing it against much , but it was hard to understand why it was scrapped once the season started.

I haven't heard yet RR. I think a lot of things have been on hold for spring ball because of the SCBOE's threatening proposals. I'll post if I hear something.

Keeping with that topic though, I do hope they will schedule two scrimmages with comparable to better programs to challenge the team. Last year's docket of an undermanned Happy Valley and a depleted North squad did not do much to help the team. I would like to see them go against D-B, SH or the Morristown teams now that they won't be playing any of them. I think better teams expose weaknesses much better and should help coaches focus on those areas moving toward and into summer camp. I didn't see any of last spring's scrimmage offense run during South's season last year and it looked very effective against the opposition. I'll admit we weren't testing it against much , but it was hard to understand why it was scrapped once the season started.

This has been discussed previously. I was basically run out of here over it.

Not only did they scrap all the work in the spring and summer, but changed completely all aspects of the offense on a game by game basis. Never seen anything like it. The players could not keep up with the "geniuses" in charge. Cost games and morale.

Won't expect any different this year.

For those of us who aren't in the know, what kind of offense did they run in the summer?

This has been discussed previously. I was basically run out of here over it.

Not only did they scrap all the work in the spring and summer, but changed completely all aspects of the offense on a game by game basis. Never seen anything like it. The players could not keep up with the "geniuses" in charge. Cost games and morale.

Won't expect any different this year.

• 1 month later...