Baylor-McCallie

noogawrestling

This upcoming Friday the two teams will wrestle in their annual dual meet at Baylor. Not a lot of highlight matches to look for in this one, except for Connell and Brunner at 132. I hope that that match actually happens and neither coach changes up their lineup so it doesn't happen. I was hoping to see these two fine young men go at it at McCallie and again at the Prep Slam but they were put on opposite sides of the bracket each time. With the line up Baylor put out at the Prep Slam this week I think I have to take McCallie, but I am sure the red raider coach was holding some of his guys out "just to be careful." Interesting to see if Sutherland, Clements, Hollaway return to wrestle for the red raiders. I hear Popp challenged Clements and beat him out at 160 and now Clements is injured again. Hate it for that young man if it is true. I know he can find a spot in that lineup. Here is the head to head with this weekends Prep Slam lineups.

WC Baylor- McCallie

106 Michael Murphy vs Addison Cornell

113 Caleb Canada vs James Westbrooks

120 ____________ vs Alex Elsea

126 Nick Standefer vs Mathes Boyd

132 Brandon Brunner vs Adam Connell

138 Turner Troxwell vs Griffin Davis

145 Thomas Plantin vs Matthew Jones

152 Aidan Garron vs Will Patton

160 Bryson Popp vs Calum McCroskey

170 Ryan Parker vs Ariel Bong

182 Connor reineche vs Nathan Hoodenpyle

195 Wynston Cooper vs Jay Roberts

220 Jon Schmissrauter vs Casey Cook

285 Will Thomas vs _________

106 Bay. Dec 3-0

113 McC maj dec 3-4

120 McC pin 3-10

126 Bay pin 9-10

132 Bay dec 12-10

138 McC pin 12-16

145 McC pin 12-22

152 McC dec 12-25

160 Bay pin 18-25

170 Bay pin 24-25

182 McC pin 24-31

195 Bay dec 27-31

220 McC pin 27-37

285 Bay pin 33-37 McCallie

This upcoming Friday the two teams will wrestle in their annual dual meet at Baylor. Not a lot of highlight matches to look for in this one, except for Connell and Brunner at 132. I hope that that match actually happens and neither coach changes up their lineup so it doesn't happen. I was hoping to see these two fine young men go at it at McCallie and again at the Prep Slam but they were put on opposite sides of the bracket each time. With the line up Baylor put out at the Prep Slam this week I think I have to take McCallie, but I am sure the red raider coach was holding some of his guys out "just to be careful." Interesting to see if Sutherland, Clements, Hollaway return to wrestle for the red raiders. I hear Popp challenged Clements and beat him out at 160 and now Clements is injured again. Hate it for that young man if it is true. I know he can find a spot in that lineup. Here is the head to head with this weekends Prep Slam lineups.

WC Baylor- McCallie

106 Michael Murphy vs Addison Cornell

113 Caleb Canada vs James Westbrooks

120 ____________ vs Alex Elsea

126 Nick Standefer vs Mathes Boyd

132 Brandon Brunner vs Adam Connell

138 Turner Troxwell vs Griffin Davis

145 Thomas Plantin vs Matthew Jones

152 Aidan Garron vs Will Patton

160 Bryson Popp vs Calum McCroskey

170 Ryan Parker vs Ariel Bong

182 Connor reineche vs Nathan Hoodenpyle

195 Wynston Cooper vs Jay Roberts

220 Jon Schmissrauter vs Casey Cook

285 Will Thomas vs _________

106 Bay. Dec 3-0

113 McC maj dec 3-4

120 McC pin 3-10

126 Bay pin 9-10

132 Bay dec 12-10

138 McC pin 12-16

145 McC pin 12-22

152 McC dec 12-25

160 Bay pin 18-25

170 Bay pin 24-25

182 McC pin 24-31

195 Bay dec 27-31

220 McC pin 27-37

285 Bay pin 33-37 McCallie

I'm so excited to see the Brunner Connell match up. Two state champs going head to head finally. Unfortunately for my boy Brunner it's kind of a lose lose scenario because if he loses well losing is never fun... But if he wins he might have a another period against the ole bear wrestler's daughter out in the parking lot, not to mention ruining the opportunity of ever taking that purty gal out on a date. She is one firecracker I wouldn't want lit. It is always a treat to see Miss Connell get fired up in them McCallie stands. Kinda almost makes me want to start eating healthy and do push ups....almost. Haha good luck to both of these teams and these particular two studs. Look to see some special things from these Baylor bloods come time for when it really matters!

HaH

Noogawrestling, I agree that if Baylor wrestled with the same lineup at the prep slam that McCallie would win, but with Holloway, Sutherland, Clements, and possibly Powell all back that sure changes things drastically.

I would expect to see Sutherland at 138, and Holloway at 145 Friday. Although, I hear Brunner is wanting to move up to 138 due to the weight cut and Holloway is wanting to move down. So a lot of things can change from now until the state tournament with a 3 way wrestle off. As for Houston, I heard he was winning the wrestle off with Popp until he had to pull out of the match due to injury. With Popp now being the permanent 160, my son, who is on the team, confirmed Houston is jumping all the way to 182. So with a beat up and injury prone team, Coach Nelson might be precautionary and not even hold a wrestle offs for 138 and simply pick weights for the kids... a lot of unknowns right now at Baylor. But if all can get healthy, look for Baylor to be a true contender down the stretch.

Holloway coming back at 145? He can't even weigh that much walking around. I got a chance to speak with someone who was in the room about the wrestle off at 160, and I heard a much different story. Doubt anyone will ever know the truth. Clements got the first takedown and then Popp broke him. Not surprising if you have been watching Clements since 8th grade. Popp just seems like a much tougher kid. That said, I don't see how McCallie could lose this dual.

Oleblue,

I have witnessed Cole Holloway wrestle matches at 145 this year. As a matter of fact, Cole complied a 4-0 record at the Lafayette duals earlier in the year competing at 145.

On another note, I hate to see an adult make personal attacks toward a high school kid. Especially someone who has as big of a heart as Houston Clements. My son has looked up to Houston for years. I don't think it's fair to question the kid's toughness knowing he has battled more injuries himself than many teams see in a whole season. I recall Houston tearing his achilles tendon in a football game last year, but magically he made it back for the end of the wrestling season. Sounds like a tough cookie to me! He doesn't seem like the type of kid to have missed this much wrestling this year if his neck injury weren't pretty serious.

Back to the point of this thread, Here's my picks...

106 Murphy maj Cornell 4-0 B

113 Westbrook maj Canada 4-4

120 Alex Elsea tech Reynolds 9-4 M (Powell could possibly be back at 120, which would make for an interesting match here

126 Standifer dec Boyd 9-7 M

132 Brunner dec Connell 10-9 B

138 Sutherland dec Davis 13-9 B

145 Holloway pin Jones 19-9 B

152 Garron dec Patton 22-9 B

160 Popp pin Mcroskey 28-9 B

170 Parker pin Bong 34-9 B

182 Clements dec Hoodenpyle 37-9 B

195 Norred dec Roberts 40-9 B

220 Cook dec Schmissrauter 40-12 B

285 Thomas forfeit 46-12 B

I know I'm biased, but with Baylor having a majority of their injured wrestlers back in the lineup, they are a completely different team than the group that wrestled at the Prep Slam. McCallie will need to win ALL of the swing matches in order to avoid another W in favor of Baylor's streak.

Edited by baylorparent2016

I spoke to a Baylor dad and he didnt fell many of the kids would be back. He said Powell is out for sure and probably Sutherland as well. He said Holloway has been drilling but no live wrestling. He did say Holloway made it clear he wasnt cutting weight this year and they adjusted their line up for this so 145 seems likely. He said Sutherland has been drilling for a few days but he didnt think he would be ready by Friday if at all this year. He said Houston does have an injury and hasnt been practicing but given this is the McCallie match he wouldnt be suprised for Houston to weigh in at 160 and they bump accordingly. Prediction.. No Powell and no Sutherland and maybe 50/50 on Holloway and Houston wrestling. McCallie wins by 10.

Edited by conspirator

Baylorparent, I don't think anyone was questioning Houston's toughness, just complimenting Popp on being tougher. Everyone knows Houston's story and I don't want this thread to be about that. It doesn't surprise me that Popp would defeat Houston in a challenge match. The kid as the work ethic and desire that I would compare to former McCallie wrestler Alex Ward. He believes in himself and that's what makes him such a great wrestler. As for your predictions, if Powell, Sutherland, Holloway, and Clements make it back, obviously the tables turn. However, if Clements weighs in at 160 and bumps up to wrestle 182, I see Hoodenpyle beating him just because of the size difference. Cook will pin at 220, no question about that. Unless we see a rematch of the Payne-Youngblood match in this dual last year. Where the Baylor wrestler dances around the mat and doesn't let the McCallie wrestler gets his tie. (Not trying to pick a fight, it's great coaching and it worked.)

Well, I spoke with my friend from the valley of the red leggers today. He said its not looking too good for a return of the aforementioned injured wrestlers. In fact he said there may be another starter out as well but he wouldn't divulge who it was. He said three of the injured 100 % can not return although they gave it a valiant effort. He thinks the 4th injured is probably 60-70 % not going to wrestle and the newly injured is 50/50 at best. I am moving my prediction to McCallie by 20.