8AA Mid Season Review

KITTY

If I were to be honest, Upperman IMO is going to be tough next year. I do think that LA will be right there though. I think Cannon returns quite a bit. And as long as Martin is at DC I expect them to be in the mix. So I think Yok will finish 4 or 5 but definitely not higher than 3rd.

I thought Upperman was losing quite a bit of playing time. I know they are returning McWilliams as far as starters go but not sure about the rest, any, others with significant minutes returning? I'm not really sure what grades Dronebarger and Devillanueva(I know, sp.) are in...

I'm not saying Melton was a bad coach, that would be a stupid claim, but he walked into a very established program in LA. I don't think anyone in Overton County will deny that their sports are always strong. I'm interested to see how long it takes him to bring Smith up to that level, since that basketball program was struggling when he came in.

DeKalb will still be competitive next year, but will be losing tons of experience and size. Bone will be the only returning payer with any height on him. The middle school will be sending up a very good guard in Jennings, he's had a few 30 point games this season and I look for him to make a impact. There is also a post coming up that's already around 6'3" who's not a bad player. Of course, that's assuming they decide to play.

I think next year will also tell many just how good of a coach Miller is at LA, because he's losing several of the major pieces from his first 1 and 1/2 years. I know there's a kid that's been playing JV who can slam the ball and I sure he'll be right in the starting lineup next season.

I thought Upperman was losing quite a bit of playing time. I know they are returning McWilliams as far as starters go but not sure about the rest, any, others with significant minutes returning? I'm not really sure what grades Dronebarger and Devillanueva(I know, sp.) are in...

I'm not saying Melton was a bad coach, that would be a stupid claim, but he walked into a very established program in LA. I don't think anyone in Overton County will deny that their sports are always strong. I'm interested to see how long it takes him to bring Smith up to that level, since that basketball program was struggling when he came in.

DeKalb will still be competitive next year, but will be losing tons of experience and size. Bone will be the only returning payer with any height on him. The middle school will be sending up a very good guard in Jennings, he's had a few 30 point games this season and I look for him to make a impact. There is also a post coming up that's already around 6'3" who's not a bad player. Of course, that's assuming they decide to play.

I think next year will also tell many just how good of a coach Miller is at LA, because he's losing several of the major pieces from his first 1 and 1/2 years. I know there's a kid that's been playing JV who can slam the ball and I sure he'll be right in the starting lineup next season.

You make some good points, but when Richard Melton took over at LA it had won one district tournament in the previous six years, and hadn't been to the substate in nine years. In the mid to late 90s LA has a couple of seasons with 1 or 2 wins, with the exception of the 92 and 97 state tournament appearances. Looking at the records here on coacht in 2002 LA lost in the first round of the District at 7-20, in 2003 exited the first round of region at 18-13, 2004 lost in region semis at 16-18, and in 05 lost in first round of region at home with a good record of 24-8. LA may have had some pretty decent teams before Melton but they weren't at this level.

Edited by B-O-B-C-A-T-S

You make some good points, but when Richard Melton took over at LA it had won one district tournament in the previous six years, and hadn't been to the substate in nine years. In the mid to late 90s LA has a couple of seasons with 1 or 2 wins, with the exception of the 92 and 97 state tournament appearances. Looking at the records here on coacht in 2002 LA lost in the first round of the District at 7-20, in 2003 exited the first round of region at 18-13, 2004 lost in region semis at 16-18, and in 05 lost in first round of region at home with a good record of 24-8. LA may have had some pretty decent teams before Melton but they weren't at this level.

Interesting...I didn't really go back and look or anything. Just seems that since I remember him there, they've always been competitive and at the top...and always with a player like Cates, Dunn, Ramsey(three in fact) or McCoin.

Either way you slice it, Smith County, while being decent in the talent department, doesn't bring in players of that caliber on a regular basis.

Interesting...I didn't really go back and look or anything. Just seems that since I remember him there, they've always been competitive and at the top...and always with a player like Cates, Dunn, Ramsey(three in fact) or McCoin.

Either way you slice it, Smith County, while being decent in the talent department, doesn't bring in players of that caliber on a regular basis.

I agree again on the talent department. Maybe the difference in enrollments at SC and LA has something to do with that, or it could be that football seems to be predominant in Carthage.