8AA Mid Season Review

KITTY

I don't even think speed is keeping Ramsey playing big..... Colleges want a kid that can go from standing flat footed to dunking the ball and I have never seen Ramsey dunk so I big D1 college does not want a post player that can not dunk easily

If you think Ramsey would be recruited as a post player, you're a little lacking in your BB knowledge. The only thing this young man needs to complete his arsenal is more speed and quickness. Too bad those two options can't be excessively improved. He is still, hands down, the best player in District 8. He is also 'the best' prospect to succeed at the next level!

Say what you want about atnip but for him to have all trash games he sure looks as though it is working. People cant stand the fact that Ramsey has met his match in the post play. If Ramsey was the beast that everyone is claiming him to be I don't think Atnip would have had the game he had. 18 points ain't none to shabby

Guys dont take my statements as disrespect. Atnip does a great job using what he has. Alot of good players have had good careers as cleaning up the trash & quite frankly every team would be lucky to have one. What if mean by no skillset is he hasnt showed back to the basket moves that makes him a 1st option.Most the time he is positioning for the offensive rebound hence trash. But true center doesn't exist anymore. The game has changed & you gotta be at least 6' 9 to be the old "true center" & have drop step, jump hook, turn around,....skill set.

Guys dont take my statements as disrespect. Atnip does a great job using what he has. Alot of good players have had good careers as cleaning up the trash & quite frankly every team would be lucky to have one. What if mean by no skillset is he hasnt showed back to the basket moves that makes him a 1st option.Most the time he is positioning for the offensive rebound hence trash. But true center doesn't exist anymore. The game has changed & you gotta be at least 6' 9 to be the old "true center" & have drop step, jump hook, turn around,....skill set.

I don't take anything you are saying regarding Atnip as personal and can see how you would come to that conclusion based on two games. That said, Atnip does have the skill set of a post player (including the moves you mentioned) BUT due to limited jumping ability can have difficulty scoring the ball when a post defender is playing behind him. What he does very well to counter that is getting the ball swung to the opposite side and pinning the defender on his hip where once received he does not have to shoot over anyone. That is clearly a valuable skill with his body. Secondarily, he runs the pick and roll well with Howell. Beyond those options, the majority of his points do come from offensive rebonds and stick backs. He could score from the high post if played there as he has a pretty effective mid range shot but rarely finds himself in that position because Sonny is more effective with his quickness at that spot on the floor.

This conversation has gotten a little bit out of control. Stealer007 was correct, stop focusing on INDIVIDUAL awards, and get prepared for the final season push and the tourney. Ramsey, Atnip, and Fullilove are all players. Ramsey does have the better upside hands down, but one can not argue what Dekalb has accomplished this year. Kudos to them, Atnip and Fullilove's seasons so far.

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER....take one away from their respective teams and where are their squads end results? That's how I gauge it.

Howell being back will help alot tomorrow. Last time we played Upperman without him and it was very close. I think he'll give us enough of an edge that we can do it again. As for the team, like I said in one post. I hate to mention specific players, because our bench is very deep at this point in the season. Every player has speed, hustles, and knows where to be. The one's that don't get mentioned contribute alot more than gets recognized and I think has been the factor in our season so far.

This thread is about awards & standings so it hasnt gotten out of hand. Everyone has made good points & that is the purpose of the board. I knew Dekalb would be tough this year & admit they are even better than I expected them to be. I also beleive LA is better than theyve been last 3 years. Record doesn't show it but just my opinion so that says alot about both teams with Upperman very close. I think this is the best chance we have had in a long time to send two to state. Mcminn central could be #1 seed from the other region, #2 from our region would have a hard time winning at the roundhouse or chattanooga but I beleive we can do it this year. Not overlooking district 7aa though. As for physical play, I dont whine about it cause I like it! But you cant let the inside get so physical & then call so many body checking fouls on the guards. LA started 4th quarter 6 fouls to 2 with 4 of those being called on guards bumping the ballhandler. Shoot let em all play! Its coach Millers responsibility to say go inside to Ramsey & Eldridge & force the contact to get Atnip & Sonni in foul trouble. I dont think they can guard our post & bench is guard heavy as is ours.

Cannon always plays us very tough. I give them all the credit they deserve, but I have to say one point. Howell was out. He has put up 24, and 26 points in the two LA games if that says how important he is. When he was out we did what was needed to keep getting wins in district, even though it was just enough. But I don't mind the scores being close, because it has helped the whole team develop alot.

During the time he was out we beat Smith by 2 without him or Molander and SC not having Craighead. We played them after he came back and won by 31 with Craighead also being back for SC. I saw us get better over the course of those ten games. I definitely think that if we played Upperman without Howell in the first few games we would've lost, but luckily we had enough time to adjust before we had to play them. Also if I'm not mistaken Cannon was Molander's first game back. But like I said Cannon always plays tough against us.

Edited by TigerPride23