8AA Mid Season Review

KITTY

Just like Dekalb wouldn't admit that Livingston football team was better LA fans won't admit that DC basketball is better this year. It's a two way street

Lol. That's how it goes. Although if we can do the same in the district tournament then that will help alot. We definitely still have more to prove, but at this point there is no denying the team with the edge.

Unlike some, I dont think MVP has to come from the 1st place team. Ramsey is the mvp no doubt! Just like on the girls side, la is in 1st now but sissom from cannon is the mvp even if livingston does win it all. The notion that the 1st place team gets the nod automatically is ridiculous. Everyone is proud of their own & should be, but if you are starting a team & had pick of all these guys & didn't pick ramsey than your not being honest with yourself.

Being from DC, I can without a doubt say that Ramsey was the best player on the floor last night and appears to be the only player with a legitimate shot at playing small to mid-size Division 1. If he were a step faster, he would have the ability to play at a mid to high level D1 school but regardless the kids is a fantastic player. As much as Fullilove and Atnip provide for DC, our most valuable player is Howell. His ball handling takes all the pressure off of Molander and allows Atnip to often re-establish himself in better post positions as his defender must hedge toward Steven when he has the ball. It appeared to me last night the LA coach was outclassed by Martin. It is easy to say LA was better than us this year in football and so far it appears that we have the leg up in basketball. That likely has more to do with our coach as the talent appears pretty even. I agree with Lyonheart in his assessment that Ramsey should be MVP. Without him LA would be a below average team. DC has already proven, that without our best playmaker we are still competitive.

Does anyone know why coach Martin was yelling at Mason Ramsey and got T'd. All I saw was a no call when Atnip dropped his shoulder & went away from the basket on a fast break to cause contact, then some scrambling down low. Next thing you know, he was yelling & pointing at Ramsey.

Ramsey extended his forearm leveling Fullilove in the transition after the missed layup by Atnip. It was the hardest foul (not called) of the game. If Ramsey had slid a half step over and not extended his forearm it would have been legal. Regardless, Martin's emotions got the best of him there.

What was Ramsey's shooting percentage for the game? I honestly only remember about 4 misses. He uses his body so well, is patient, versatile. What schools are offering him?

Your right, he didn't get stopped either of our games. The difference maker in both your biggest district games of the year, that makes him mvp of your team. LA shot too many 3's, scored at will inside. The atnip dominance statement was a joke. Congrats on big win.

I agree with the Atnip statement being a joke..... When a kid scores more than 20 he wasn't dominated by anybody

Wow people blow things out of proportion. What I am saying was I hear alot about how Ramsey is a beast and Atnip won't do this and that. Howell had 26 and Fullilove had 19 as well. So Atnip wasn't shooting all the time, BUT what I'm saying is when he had the ball he used his body and made the basket and Ramsey was not stopping it. On offense Ramsey was good, but I saw so many jump shots. On rebounds I just saw Atnip boxing him out, and either he or Sonni got the rebound alot of the time. I guess what I'm getting at is I've heard alot about Ramsey being physical and if you saw the same game as I did last night that part of the game went to Atnip.

I don't even think speed is keeping Ramsey playing big..... Colleges want a kid that can go from standing flat footed to dunking the ball and I have never seen Ramsey dunk so I big D1 college does not want a post player that can not dunk easily

My point on speed is that he is not capable of playing post in college. He will have to shift to a 3 or maybe even a 2 at his size. Once in either of those positions he is too slow to defend beyond small D1. A great high school player and I have seen a couple like him become small role players at schools like Davidson, Richmond etc but he just does not have the athleticism which you highlight in his jumping ability to play a Big at the next level. Since he will become a small he now has to be faster or play at a lower level against slower competition.

MVP: I think it will get tricky due to the fact on the nomination process, but I would put Fullilove as the front runner. His presence on defense cannot be matched by anyone in the district with his speed and athleticism. However, I believe that Atnip has a real shot at the award. If he is not in the Smith County @ Smith game or LA @ LA, DC could have 2 losses in the district based on his impact in the final seconds. Plus, Atnip is the match up that teams do not have answer for so far this season. Howell doesn't have enough ink on the stat pages in district play, but if he goes 25 ppg the remainder of the year in 8aa he should have a real chance. Ramsey is difficult to evaluate because the game plan with him is let him get his points and cut off as many other options as you can. Naturally, Ramsey is going to get more points with that type of game plan against him.

COY: Martin I think is one of two choices. He truly is doing something special with this team, Upperman and LA are have great seasons, but not as dominant as DC. Also he is the best "in game" coach in the district in terms of adjustments and decisions plus he as always had the best zone defense since he around. The other coach who I hope gets a vote, but probably won't is Central Magnet Coach John Henson ( I think that is his name). What he has done this year far as improvement is very impressive. However, I think that if DC beats Upperman this Friday, Martin gets it no matter what.

4 Teams in: Like everyone DC, LA, Upperman, Cannon

Sleeper: York ( I really think that Smith County is the 4th best team, but looks like seeding will give them an awful match up).

District Champ: DC unless someone gets hurt.

couldnt disagree more on the defensive strategy against Ramsey lol. Nobody gives him his & focuses on shutting down the rest lol. He gets his thats a given! But not given to him. LA had 4 players in double figures so its not like they just give it to Ramsey. Most of Atnips points comes from trash cause he doesn't have a skillset.

Lol this is kind of ironic. We got accused of whining at the end of football season and your fans were saying how LA has men that we just weren't ready for physically, now we have a big guy that plays physical and he is trash. Say what you will, I just hope we keep winning games. If the team keeps playing this way I see a long season ahead. So much keeps being said about these players, but the team's defensive pressure and supporting roles are just as important. I think that is what will help in the long run.