McDonald's All-American Nominees

Ballgirl21

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all honesty, the ELITE talent in Tennessee is down this year. Don't get me wrong, there is still awesome talent throughout the state, but the big time Major D1's just aren't in Tennessee this year. Davis is going to Baylor and she's definitely the best that Tennessee has to offer this year. The only other one's I can really think of that could have potentially been nominated are Kelsey Briggs from Memphis Overton or Derica Wyatt from FRA.

In all honesty, the ELITE talent in Tennessee is down this year. Don't get me wrong, there is still awesome talent throughout the state, but the big time Major D1's just aren't in Tennessee this year. Davis is going to Baylor and she's definitely the best that Tennessee has to offer this year. The only other one's I can really think of that could have potentially been nominated are Kelsey Briggs from Memphis Overton or Derica Wyatt from FRA.

JayCee Coe, a junior from Jackson County has signed with Kentucky the #5 ranked team in the country so i wouldn't say Davis is the best but she is one of the best for sure! :popcorneater:

JayCee Coe, a junior from Jackson County has signed with Kentucky the #5 ranked team in the country so i wouldn't say Davis is the best but she is one of the best for sure! :popcorneater:

Nina Davis signed with the #1 team in the country, Baylor, and is averaging 29 pts a game and 11 rebounds and is shooting 57% from the floor. Jaycee is good, but nice try...

Jaycee Coe will get nominated next year. She's not only one of the top pure shooters in the state, but one of the top pure shooters in the country. She won't get nominated for a McDonald's All-American as a Junior, next year, she could make it onto this list.

As for Nina Davis... she's the best player in the state of Tennessee, that's a fact. Coe is the best shooter in the state, not player. She might be next year though....

Edited by GCPioneer

You have to be more than just a great shooter to actually make the roster and the only person I see doing that is alexa middleton, although there are some great players that will be seniors coming out of TN next year, brooke copeland, rachell bell, emily eubanks, shelby davenport just to name a few it would be nice to see some girls from TN make the roster.

I will agree that Nina Davis is a very good player. You cannot convince me that there is only one player in TN deserving of this nomination. Look at the list; Arkansas has 9, Florida and Georgia both have 15, Iowa has 23, Missouri has 22, Oklahoma has 42, and the list can go on. The state of TN has players as good and better that a vast number on this list. Look at the list of male players nominated from TN.... 26. These 26 males are not Major D-1 players there might be 2 (maybe).

An easy example is two seniors girls from Riverdale HS in Murfreesboro. They are going on to play at a top 25 college and currently have won two AAA State Championships and one runner-up.

I think the person or persons responsible for the nominations in TN have a different viewpoint than those in other states. It appears to me in TN they are trying to determine the best of the best (their pick for Miss Basketball possibly) as opposed to other states where they appear to reward and recognize good players that have had success at the HS level with this nomination.

@HoopMD,

Good points. There is no way that Iowa, Iowa????, has more high level basketball players than TN. Same goes for Missouri.

ARK at least has 3 in the top ESPNW100. Iowa has one #69. Missouri has one #81 Nina is #52. Derika Wyatt from FRA going to Oklahoma could be on the list.

I disagree with TN only having 2 (maybe) major D1 players I would call Tennessee, Marquette and Memphis major basketball programs. There are 4 in Memphis alone with a 5th being close (Newbern): Austin Nichols (#13 ESPN100), Nick King (#31), Johnathan Williams III (#37), Robert Hubbs (#38), and JuJaun Johnson (#64)

I can give you that Doug.

I was just making the comparison that if the thought is you have to be what is considered a MAJOR D-1 program to get on the list. (ie... N. Davis going to the #1 program currently in the country).........I have not heard of any of the guys committing to a team considered a top 5 or even top 10.

Even at that I certainly am glad to see these young men get this recognition. I think it is an honor to be nominated.

I think more of our TN young ladies deserve the nominations as well.

In all honesty, there are maybe only 2 or 3 high major players this year in the state of Tennessee on the girls side. It's the truth. The senior class is down this year for our state when it comes to the big time talent. The one's that I've known that have signed major D-1 this year are; Nina Davis going to Baylor, Derica Wyatt going to Oklahoma, Kelsey Briggs going to Georgetown and then after that, it's mostly all players going mid-major.

On the guys side, they're several major D-1's (more than 2 or 3)..... and some of these have a realistic chance at being McDonald's All-American's.

Edited by GCPioneer