Ken Colquette and the 2013 Sequatchie Co Indians

98nationalchmps

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too remember those teams in the early 90's, remind me again how good they were outside the valley when playoffs rolled around. how many gold balls they win? how many times they get out of the 2nd round? As I said in an earlier post it is 1 thing to win in they valley and another to actually compete at the state level. Only 2 teams in the valley have EVER been able to consistently compete at the state level and that is MC and So. Pitt. Can't even compare SC to Marion or So. Pitt. No Eric Westmorelands, Shane Thomassons, Anthony Martins, Muir brothers etc. or Eddie Moores, Tim Starkey, Sam Picketts, T-Robs etc on those Dunlap teams.

88, 89, 90, 93, 95, 96 teams went to the third round. 92 was 8-2 but only 2 teams made the playoffs out of the district then. Best group despite having 2 losses might have been 89 team, lost in the last minute to Kingston, that Kingston lost in the last minute to Alcoa the next week. There were individual players as good as some mentioned, no Westmorelands or Moores, most other teams wouldn't have that, either.

Indian, you proved my point for me. As I was saying other than Marion Co. and South Pittsburg how many valley teams ; Bledsoe, Grundy, Sequatchie and Whitwell have consistently won when playoffs rolled around or made deep runs. Seq has 1 title appearance I know of, Bledsoe has a couple of Quarterfinal appearances, Whitwell made it to the Semis once that I remember, lost to FRA I believe, and not sure on Grundy. My point was that Sequatchie has had some great coaches examples Sid Fritts, Faulkerson, Mackersie etc. but none have made the championship game. Two years ago Bledsoe fielded as good a team as they have had in some time and what happened when Alcoa came to town? At the 3A level it will be difficult to get out of the 2nd round when you have to play a CAK, Alcoa etc. Ken will do a good job just like Barger did just understand the challenges faced at Sequatchie Co. They have good facilities, a great stadium and good support and following just limited athletically like most valley schools in my opinion.

Indian, you proved my point for me. As I was saying other than Marion Co. and South Pittsburg how many valley teams ; Bledsoe, Grundy, Sequatchie and Whitwell have consistently won when playoffs rolled around or made deep runs. Seq has 1 title appearance I know of, Bledsoe has a couple of Quarterfinal appearances, Whitwell made it to the Semis once that I remember, lost to FRA I believe, and not sure on Grundy. My point was that Sequatchie has had some great coaches examples Sid Fritts, Faulkerson, Mackersie etc. but none have made the championship game. Two years ago Bledsoe fielded as good a team as they have had in some time and what happened when Alcoa came to town? At the 3A level it will be difficult to get out of the 2nd round when you have to play a CAK, Alcoa etc. Ken will do a good job just like Barger did just understand the challenges faced at Sequatchie Co. They have good facilities, a great stadium and good support and following just limited athletically like most valley schools in my opinion.

Wasn't disagreeing as much as just throwing out some old records and results. It can be done even at "athletically challenged" schools, look at a Smith County for example. Rarely any exceptional athletes but almost always a top 10 type program in 3A.

The teams 2-3 seasons/years ago with Lewis, Hudson, Stout, R. Smith, Fain, Stewart, others, were as athletic or more athletic than any teams on the regular schedule except South Pittsburg, including Signal.

Edited by Indian

Indian I respect most of your posts but to think they were more athletic than central Goodpasture, signal or even Bledsoe is crazy. Lewis was a gifted athlete but to think they were a super athletic group is crazy. Those kids played very hard and loved their team. They matched bledsoe in athletes but the others mentioned were way deeper with athletes but not heart. As for the rest of this, good luck in the future and Indian i appreciated the time spent in Dunlap and wish those kids nothing but the best.

Wasn't disagreeing as much as just throwing out some old records and results. It can be done even at "athletically challenged" schools, look at a Smith County for example. Rarely any exceptional athletes but almost always a top 10 type program in 3A.

The teams 2-3 seasons/years ago with Lewis, Hudson, Stout, R. Smith, Fain, Stewart, others, were as athletic or more athletic than any teams on the regular schedule except South Pittsburg, including Signal.

I actually agree with you somewhat. There are programs that don't have superior athletes that are consistently winners and top 10 teams. But that takes implementing a complete program in all age groups. Once this is established, you can be good for years without "athletes"

Indian I respect most of your posts but to think they were more athletic than central Goodpasture, signal or even Bledsoe is crazy. Lewis was a gifted athlete but to think they were a super athletic group is crazy. Those kids played very hard and loved their team. They matched bledsoe in athletes but the others mentioned were way deeper with athletes but not heart. As for the rest of this, good luck in the future and Indian i appreciated the time spent in Dunlap and wish those kids nothing but the best.

I was talking only regular season though if you're talking playoffs Harpeth was another team Sequatchie more than matched up with athletically. Losing Hudson early was bad luck in that one. GP's big difference was the quarterback now at Navy along with a huge size advantage up front. I wasn't going back to the year played Central but definitely that would be another especially before they lost several players for one reason or another. I still say Signal wasn't that much of a difference other than the running back that came in from East Ridge, the big difference was again up front.

You do know that Indian owns a pair of those rose colored glasses Old Pirate is always talking about that he wears every now and then. :)

Lewis and Stewart senior year was 2010. Opened at Finley with central. Played Signal early, who won AA state, redeemed themselves against Bledsoe and lost to Goodpasture. Difference in Goodpasture besides the QB was OL/DL and 230 pound FB. As far as the next season 2011, we lost alot of offensive punch without Lewis, Stewart, Baldwin at TE was a huge loss because he was a great blocker. As for Harpeth, the QB was as good as we had seen plus their center was the only player I saw dominate our noseguard all game . Other than those we matched up. Not making excuses but we would have beaten Harpeth if we contained th QB and not have 5 turnover. Should have won 1di0 in 2010 and 8 in 2011 but didnt. Every coach has certain games they could get back and Harpeth is. 6 turnovers in 10 games and had 5 that night.

Edited by warrior2024