Maryville vs Clinton

REBELRON

Will Maryville have a letdown after their big win over Knox Central? Maryville better be ready to play. I watched Clinton and Powell play last thursday and they had Powell on the ropes.Powell was fortunate to win that game.

Clinton has some weapons. Mario Foley is scary. He can throw the ball real well and run well also. He has a receiver named Blake Sharp. That young man is quick as a cat. He reminded me of former Rebel David Sweetland. They have a freshman receiver to watch out for. He is Dedrick Dyes younger brother. Clinton is vulnurable on defense. They have seven starters on defense who are sophomores and freshmen. They will have a hard time stopping Maryville's offense. I expect Cinton to score some but not enough.

My prediction is Maryville 42 Clinton 21

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebelron, Clinton has improved and apparently has some weapons on offense. I really believe we just need to focus on improving our team and get in a good groove before the playoffs. Thompson needs to return to early and mid season form and he needs to find his secondary receivers better imo. But most importantly, we need to get healthy and hopefully were headed in that direction. I thought that Central played us entirely differently than last year on defense. They played off the line of scrimmage a lot more. They put Jackson on Holt, which is a good match-up for them and had safety help on the other two receivers. IMO Maryville should have stayed a little more patient with the quick hitters (dives and traps) and the overall running game. That is our strength, our OL and RB's. Then maybe we don't let them back in the game. Saw where Drew Galyon was named AP 4-A defensive player of the week. Galyon was outstanding and harrassed Helton all night long. Now let's get those Dragons and take'em one at a time. Go Rebs.

Staying focused. I believe the MHS coaching Staff is repeating this phrase to the "Young Red Rebels"....one game at a time.

Y'all see where Maryville moved up to #56 Nationally (rivalshigh,com)? That's actually scary! (Oh, yeah, Halloween season huh?)

Still a nice feater in the helmet for the State.

MHS 42 Clinton 17 :o

(Victory Cone Cakes are in the oven!)

Maryville will have it's way with Clinton's porous defense, and Clinton won't be able to score enough to keep up. I'm glad Maryville is getting some national recognition, but I'm just wondering how many good athletes do they get from schools such as Heritage and William Blount? Any athlete in Blount County can choose to attend Maryville and pay tuition if I'm not mistaken. It's almost like a small college in that respect. Doesn't that make it a bit of an uneven playing field for the other teams in 3-4A?

Guest dilweed

I can't believe I'm saying this, but that's a good question BGdiddy. Can't that be considered a form of recruiting? Anyway, Central is the other top team in 3-4A and they seem to draw kids from all of Knox Co. So it's only uneven for the other teams in the region.

It's not recruiting. Yes, people pay tuition to send their kids to Maryville, but there is a waiting list and no priority is given to Athletes. Carl Stewart lives in Alcoa, and his mom teaches at a City school, so he's been going to city schools since elementary school. If a football player at William Blount wanted to go to Maryville, they would be put on the bottom of the list, and then if there was an opening, they would have to pay the tuition. Also, if an athletes parents moved inside the city of Maryville, they could attend. It's not recruiting.

Oh yeah one more thing: there have been student-athletes at Maryville that have left to go to Blount County schools - (Probably because they couldn't handle the school work, or they would be guaranteed a starting position ect.) To answer another question, athletes coming from county to city is very rare, and does not really make the playing field uneven. Maryville excells in Blount county because they have the best coaching, training facilities, and community support - not because they draw outside talent.

Guest dilweed

I don't believe the comment was an uneven playing field in Blount Co., but an uneven playing field in the rest of region 3-4A where students can't pay money to go to the school with the stronger programs.

And, don't kid yourself about a good athlete being placed at the bottom of some list where he/she must wait their turn like everyone else. If there is such a list, it must have very few names. The situation is very similar in Oak Ridge with girls basketball. Several starters from their powerhouse teams throughout the years lived in Clinton and went to Clinton Middle School.

Now believe me, I'm not trying to compare girls basketball to football, but it is the same scenario. ;)

Now you will LISTEN!!! Carl Stewart's mom has been a teacher in the MCS for 30 years, his older sister is 27 and she went to MCS and Carl's parents KNOW that Maryville is a good system he has a 4.0 and would be Validictorian of ALCOA if he went, they live in a house that is like a family heirloom plus his Dads family is big in Alcoa politics. Maryville has players that live in the county but they have always gone to City schools their parents just built dream houses or didn't wanna live in city limits. Good athletes (Wroblowski, McMahan, Johnson, Sankey, Davis, Rainer, ect) stay where they are cause they can't handle the work load at MHS anyway. There is no recruting, and you all are sadly sadly mistaken and should apologize. That is false and unfair...in your haste you forgot that Central has open enrollment and can recruit...so you should be sorry. ;):):);):):):x:x:x:x:x:x:x

Thanks for the family history of Carl Stewart. I'm not real sure what that has to do with anything here though. Maryville does have outstanding facilities and community support, there's no arguing that. What makes them different than any other team in their region though is the fact that they can recruit the entire Blount County area, therefore, producing a Blount County "All-Star" team. Any parent that has a kid in the county worth a crap at football is going to pay tuition and send that kid to Maryville to play football. I'm just wondering if you all have a scholarship or grant program for those "student-ATHLETES" who can't afford the tuition. It would be interesting to see what kind competition Maryville would have if Knox Co schools were able to operate with the same rules.