Forgotten Bradley? How about, wow Cleveland!

trueblue92

After reading the article in the Times Free Press about Bradley, I have come to the conclusion that the only reason anyone else is succeeding has been only from the downfall of Bradley. (Sarcasm)

Whats the deal with the Bradley school program? It seems like they are making excuses for not winning anymore. The articles from region said they were plagued by injuries and skin issues. I don't know of any one of their starters that were out and did not wrestle in region. I don't understand all of the excuses for not finishing on top. I don't remember a time where Cleveland or any of the other top programs made excuses for not winning state titles. It seems to me that everyone has caught up to the Bradley school, and they can't handle the pressure under a new coach. Why don't they lace up their shoes and work just like everybody else without the excuse book or pitty party?

This is just my opinion and observations.

You wouldn't be jumping to conclusions when you have no facts would you ? Looks to me like you are much more interested in stirring the pot than having any type of intelligent discourse. Not sure who was quoted in the article you cite but I doubt very seriously any Bradley coach made excuses for being down this year. With the Cleveland program really coming together and the emergence of Walker Valley as a program on the way up, titles may be a bit harder for Bradley in the future but I don't think they will be down long. The tone of your posts suggests to me you've tasted a lot of defeat at the hand of the bears. Enjoy their rare off year while you can, it won't be long before they are kicking sand in your face again.

After reading the article in the Times Free Press about Bradley, I have come to the conclusion that the only reason anyone else is succeeding has been only from the downfall of Bradley. (Sarcasm)

Whats the deal with the Bradley school program? It seems like they are making excuses for not winning anymore. The articles from region said they were plagued by injuries and skin issues. I don't know of any one of their starters that were out and did not wrestle in region. I don't understand all of the excuses for not finishing on top. I don't remember a time where Cleveland or any of the other top programs made excuses for not winning state titles. It seems to me that everyone has caught up to the Bradley school, and they can't handle the pressure under a new coach. Why don't they lace up their shoes and work just like everybody else without the excuse book or pitty party?

This is just my opinion and observations.

Well Maj,

I am sorry to disappoint you, since I am not jumping to conclusions. There are articles in the paper like the one from region. Given, the bears, have whipped alot of people in the past. However, we are talking about the present and future now.

The Bradley Central Bears, still smarting from health and injury issues, fought to a third-place finish with 128.5 points.

"We got seven through and that is probably about realistic. I was hoping for nine to 10. We had some difficulty getting over our skin issues and had some kids get back on the mat with less than a week's worth of practice. I didn't feel like some of our guys were in post-season shape," Bears coach Ben Smith said.

"It's almost like we took two steps back and one step forward. I'm a little aggravated about that, not at the guys but it's that constant thing the whole year of some wrestle in spots and others don't. We have yet to put it together. I'm not used to sending less than 12 to 14 (wrestlers to the state tournament). I don't like finishing third."

Read more: Cleveland Daily Banner - White C Raiders run away with region

Maj, never shy to be direct..

"I doubt very seriously any Bradley coach made excuses for being down this year. With the Cleveland program really coming together and the emergence of Walker Valley as a program on the way up, titles may be a bit harder for Bradley in the future ....but I don't think they will be down long."

I agree 100%... A very competitive Ben Smith will rebuild the Bear Nation from a top 5 or 6 now to a top 1 or 2 within four years... WV, Cleveland, Heritage, Blackman, SD and WC will reload well to make things interesting. Watch out for a future Halls team coming up too!

Just to clarify, since we're being accused of making excuses...On 1/19/13, the Region 3 Day of Duals was wrestled at Rhea Co. On the following Monday, we had three wrestlers show up w/ what ended up being impetigo. By the Region Duals on that Thursday, we had one more w/ impetigo, one with staph, and one pink eye. We wrestled 5-6 JV against Cleveland to keep from having to forfeit. Up to this point in the season, we had zero skin issues. I guess it was just our turn to get bit by the skin funk. I know that two other programs there had some skin issues as well. After quarantining the ones with impetigo/staph, it was 5-7 practice days before some returned to the room and mat. That was my reference to conditioning and making up for lost time/maybe pushing too hard prior to Traditional Region competition. So, being a coach, I'm sure you can understand TRUEBLUE92 how that may possibly hurt a team/individual somewhat. Bradley Wrestling will never make excuses b/c we will not take away from the hard work and dedication of other teams AND that is not what we do. My motto for this team and the future is to be quietly working and working vigorously. Anyone close to me, my staff, or the Bears knows that we'll not make excuses. Congrats to the Raiders, Trojans, and Mustangs on great seasons and best of luck to all of them this weekend.

Ben Smith

BC Wrestling

Edited by drmedulla

I am a long time fan and former wrestler of the Trojans of SD. I for one am confident the Bradley team will return to it's place as one of the perennial powerhouse teams in this state. They, like all of us, have years when everything doesn't fall into place. They are not a team. They are a program. They will return. My team has a love hate relationship with them. They are one of our chief rivals and we love that. We have finished second to them more times than we care to remember and we hate that. As a fan, I can tell you some of the best matches I ever witnessed were battles that SD engaged in with powerful Bradley teams. I think I can speak for coach Higgins and all the SD fans when I say we look forward to many more battles between these 2 awesome high school programs. I reiterate that I am confident that will be the case in the future. I for one can't wait.

Im a former Wrestler/Coach for Cleveland Middle School and Cleveland High School...I also like to think that Ben Smith and I are "Great" Friends...more like a Brother until its competition time...but for the many many years Ive known him (UTC) Ive never once heard him make an excuse for himself or his team...

Those of us that keep up with Wrestling here in Bradley Co. and throughout the state know that with Coach Morris leaving for Walker Valley that was a "Huge Blow" to Bradley Central Wrestling...It takes time to rebuild or should I say retool a program...Give this Young Coach time...It's always always hard to follow-up a Legend...

True Blue 92...you should know that...I mean look at what happened with Leon Brown in football at Cleveland...he had to follow or maintain the status of a Benny Monroe...and yes Im throwing football in as an example...Coach Brown was the last Coach to really get Cleveland into the playoffs...So stop the bashing...Wrestling is a brotherhood...a fraternity... It's like sibling rivalry it's alright to fight amongst ourselves but when somebody else steps in watch out...

Ben Keep Up The Great Work!!!

Maj, never shy to be direct..

"I doubt very seriously any Bradley coach made excuses for being down this year. With the Cleveland program really coming together and the emergence of Walker Valley as a program on the way up, titles may be a bit harder for Bradley in the future ....but I don't think they will be down long."

I agree 100%... A very competitive Ben Smith will rebuild the Bear Nation from a top 5 or 6 now to a top 1 or 2 within four years... WV, Cleveland, Heritage, Blackman, SD and WC will reload well to make things interesting. Watch out for a future Halls team coming up too!

Heritage (Blount County's version) is a one year wonder. They had a good cycle of kids this year, but don't expect them to be near the top on a yearly basis.

I don't believe ANY coach can start with largely inexperienced wrestlers and compete with teams that have kids that have had Great coaching since 1st grade. Years ago Bradley had a kids program that was 2nd to none. They sent kids to high school with 200 quality matches under their belt and ready to place in the state. Logston did a great job building those kids. Ben Smith is a coach that I would be proud to have coach my kid. He is great but competing against Teams that have elevated the game since Bradley's Dominance. Cleveland's leadership elevated about 6 years ago by adding Coaches to High School, Middle School and the Kids program. When you add guys like Heath Eslinger, Eric Phillips, Josh Boskin, Jake Yost to an already good Cleveland staff good things happen. This is the 6th year after Cleveland made their improvements, their 6th graders are now 12th graders in a top notch program. The future looks bright because their very experienced and well coached kids are now entering High School. I think Ben Smith is as good a coach as there is, but the world has changed and Cleveland, Walker Valley, Wilson Central and some others have improved their programs to the point that Bradley and Soddy will have trouble being as dominant as in the past. I am thankful that Cleveland's Supporters such As Alan Jones and the school superintendent have given the students access to coaches of this caliber. It can make a positive difference in their lives, and encourage the other schools to do the same.

The healthy level of mutual respect comes out in this thread, no matter the original intent. You have a Soddy supporter, 1 Cleveland & a present Red Raider mixed with The 76 Blue ties reaching out with tremendous support & endorsement of coach Smith's credentials and potential. Not a stretch here... Just feeling the love... And saying amen!