Next year's State Predictions

mustachiomenace

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting topic. Of course it's all guesswork on what everyone weighs.

106- Murphy

113- Chalifoux

120- Oliver

126- Westbrooks- bumping to avoid Oliver and wins state

132- fisher

138- Holloway if he's back

145- sutherland if he's healthy

152 - Davis, Whitman or Simpson

160- doubt Popp stays down, Davis, wittman or Simpson should bump up

170-Popp

182- parker

195-hoodenpyle

220-Phillips

Hwy- Robertson

I agree that Parker moves up as he is also a good football player and his football coach is wanting him to put on weight. I don't know about Popp but Simpson does not move up to 160. 145 most likely for him...maybe 152. He was at 138 most of the year and was forced up to 52.

Does he beat Murphy?

I was assuming Murphy moves up. Murphy would be the favorite, and my pick if he stays at 106. However, I still wouldn't put beating Murphy past Eli. I'm not saying he would win, but I think Eli could do okay against him. Murphy vs Chalifoux was close. I've seen Eli handle himself pretty well against Chalifoux this year while giving up 15 pounds. He is easily the best upcoming freshman. Edited by LBJ6

I agree that Parker moves up as he is also a good football player and his football coach is wanting him to put on weight. I don't know about Popp but Simpson does not move up to 160. 145 most likely for him...maybe 152. He was at 138 most of the year and was forced up to 52.

If Cretin (BA) is able to get back down next year he takes 182.

I wouldn't bet on Robertson for next year. Good chance he doesn't wrestle his senior year; instead he will probably focus on getting ready for VU football. Similar situation happened with Barrett Gauger in 2012 after his scholarship to Vandy.

Nothing prepares you for football more than wrestling, especially for big guys. You can't duplicate the leverage, balance, complete body workout and just plain toughness in the weight room.

Nothing prepares you for football more than wrestling, especially for big guys. You can't duplicate the leverage, balance, complete body workout and just plain toughness in the weight room.

While I would generally agree with you wholeheartedly this may be a bit of a different situation. You have a kid who has already been wrestling and hopefully learned the lessons it has to teach. Robertson is a guy who may decide that cutting weight for wrestling (which he was obviously doing some of this year based on his weigh-in weights) is counterproductive to his college football goals. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him make that decision nor would I blame him at this stage of the game... it isn't like he would be coming back to win that state title that had eluded him.

While I would generally agree with you wholeheartedly this may be a bit of a different situation. You have a kid who has already been wrestling and hopefully learned the lessons it has to teach. Robertson is a guy who may decide that cutting weight for wrestling (which he was obviously doing some of this year based on his weigh-in weights) is counterproductive to his college football goals. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see him make that decision nor would I blame him at this stage of the game... it isn't like he would be coming back to win that state title that had eluded him.

Lol, plus Cbhs wouldn't have to wrestle him. True he's learned the life lessons already but wrestling is still the best conditioning there is as well as overall body strength , leverage and balance . Almost every top lineman that wrestled says wrestling made them the linemen they are. The Baylor people told me coach Franklin at Vandy wanted Gougher to wrestle for that very reason. As far as lifting and getting stronger I'm sure he can find the time. Heck look at Cbhs, doesn't look like their kids missed any workouts . As far as cutting weight goes he will gain it back within two weeks.

Any chance Oliver will gain a weight class or two? Great 2014 state finals match = Robinson vs Oliver

I know it’s only a few days after the state tournament but it’s never too earlier to look toward next year. Who is going to be the best teams in D1 and D2 for 2014 season and who going will win it for each weight class?

Here are my D2 predictions don’t have any D1 yet

Top team D2 Father Ryan

106: Father Ryan’s upcoming 8th grader the all world middle schooler (can’t remember his name)

113: James Westbrooks (McCallie,

120: Elijah Oliver (Christian Brothers, 10)

126: Hal Fisher (Father Ryan, 10),

132: Chris Wes. Father Ryan 10)

138: Adam Connell (McCallie,11)

145: James Simpson (Father Ryan, 11),

152: ??

160: Bryson Popp (Baylor, 11).

170: Ryan Parker (Baylor, 9),

182: Nathan Hoodenpyle (McCallie, 11)

195: Ben Stacey (9), Father Ryan

220: Brian Phillips (9), McCallie

285: Jay Robertson (MBA, 11)

The talent level has really dropped off in the last couple seasons. Several years back the wrestlers in D2 could go head to head with the D1 wrestlers as well as kids from other states.

In my opinion, Oliver, J Simpson, Westbrooks and Connell are your tough kids out of the group!

now if young Mr. King shows up it will be interesting to see if he lands in the same weight class as Oliver. Oliver will be a 4x State Champion for sure.

Edited by getreal2005