15A SWEEPS 16A

ReitzFan

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be the alternative?Disregard the basket...or the foul?The shot was out of the players hand when the foul was called,resulting in the made basket.BTW was not in the penalty yet...result of the foul was ball inbounds at the spot of the foul.BTW didn't run an offense is partly why they lost,just a bunch of athletic kids playing one-on-one ball trying to get layups.Scotts Hill shot the ball worse in that game than any I can remember,missing wide open looks and layups that they normally hit...I guess a 2 1/2 hour bus ride could be a factor.The big sub (42) hit a couple of shots from almost 10 feet away and had some touch on the shots,but when Coach Chandler adjusted the defense to compensate BTW had no answer.In the forth quarter with a 16/17 point lead Scotts Hill worked on their four corner game,passing up layups until the Warriors cut the game to 10 or so,then started taking the layups...that's the reason for the scoring deficit,it could have just as easily been a 20+ point game.BTW didn't take a shot longer than 10 feet until it was a lost cause,maybe 1:30 left in the game and then shot three or four airballs from the three point line.Until someone in 16A learns to play more fundamental basketball,all the athletes in Shelby Co. won't win you a regional game more often than once in a blue moon.Put BTW in 15A and they will battle not to finish last in the district.

The correct call was team foul on BTW and BTW take the ball out. That was the turning point of the game. With was 2 seconds left in the 1st half. Scott Hill up 3 with that play Scott Hill went into the locker room up 7. Actually BTW should have played a more athletic game and push the tempo on Scott Hill. At no point was Scott Hill 20 points better than BTW. I agree Scott Hill is much better at playing their game then BTW was at playing Scott Hill game. As for Scott Hill missing shots let’s give BTW some credit, they did have at least 4 block on the shooters. Why not go to the basket and score inside every time When BTW penetrated or got the ball inside they either scored or got fouled. Honestly BTW did more to lose the game then Scott Hill did to win the game. They made only 4 free throws the entire game. There exist a phobia with Memphis team, when they see unknown referees coming to their game that are very familiar to their opponent, they believe they will not get a fair game. So they often change their game plan to try and protect their players. Rather true or not it happens. The one great thing about sports there is always next year! Good luck to Scott Hill you have a very discipline team and run great sets.

The correct call was team foul on BTW and BTW take the ball out. That was the turning point of the game. With was 2 seconds left in the 1st half. Scott Hill up 3 with that play Scott Hill went into the locker room up 7. Actually BTW should have played a more athletic game and push the tempo on Scott Hill. At no point was Scott Hill 20 points better than BTW. I agree Scott Hill is much better at playing their game then BTW was at playing Scott Hill game. As for Scott Hill missing shots let’s give BTW some credit, they did have at least 4 block on the shooters. Why not go to the basket and score inside every time When BTW penetrated or got the ball inside they either scored or got fouled. Honestly BTW did more to lose the game then Scott Hill did to win the game. They made only 4 free throws the entire game. There exist a phobia with Memphis team, when they see unknown referees coming to their game that are very familiar to their opponent, they believe they will not get a fair game. So they often change their game plan to try and protect their players. Rather true or not it happens. The one great thing about sports there is always next year! Good luck to Scott Hill you have a very discipline team and run great sets.

You say that Scotts Hill went from up by three to up by seven in two seconds because of the foul...so your solution would have been to disregard both the basket and the foul,and BTW inbounds the ball?You're exactly right that BTW should have used their athleticism more,insted they played a zone and never moved until the ball was in front of them,with no press.I'll give credit to them for the blocks,very athletic on the inside...missing wide open looks from 12 to 20 feet is on us though,35 and 10 are usually deadly from there but made one (the first shot of the game) of twelve or fifteen,most from three point range...as I said,maybe 2 1/2 hours on the bus or the gym with no backdrop for 50 yards were factors,but no excuses...they missed.As for the "phobia",give me a break...Scotts Hill (a small rural school) travels to inner city Memphis,is greeted by a virtual swat team of security,plays the #1 team from a district consisting of 13 teams with a record of 25 wins and 3 losses on their home floor,endures three or four grown men standing on the baseline under their basket screaming at them,and BTW is supposed to be intimidated by ref's they don't see every game(Scotts Hill doesn't play in front of region 7 ref's either)? 25 and 4 is a good season,your kids play hard...be proud of their accomplishments and their sportsmanship,and good luck next year.

Scotts Hill does not see these refs either... so shouldnt it be imtimidating to them also? The refs that ref the Region 8 tournament come from the Northwest association and Scotts Hill uses the Jackson association. So, neither team sees the group of referees ref their Region tournament game.

I do, however, agree with you that when Memphis teams (boys and girls) see refs they dont normally see, they automatically assume that they will be cheated.This is where they need to quit worrying about that and just play. It doesnt matter where the refs come from, they are going to make mistakes at some point in the game... this is part of being human and fallible.

You say that Scotts Hill went from up by three to up by seven in two seconds because of the foul...so your solution would have been to disregard both the basket and the foul,and BTW inbounds the ball?You're exactly right that BTW should have used their athleticism more,insted they played a zone and never moved until the ball was in front of them,with no press.I'll give credit to them for the blocks,very athletic on the inside...missing wide open looks from 12 to 20 feet is on us though,35 and 10 are usually deadly from there but made one (the first shot of the game) of twelve or fifteen,most from three point range...as I said,maybe 2 1/2 hours on the bus or the gym with no backdrop for 50 yards were factors,but no excuses...they missed.As for the "phobia",give me a break...Scotts Hill (a small rural school) travels to inner city Memphis,is greeted by a virtual swat team of security,plays the #1 team from a district consisting of 13 teams with a record of 25 wins and 3 losses on their home floor,endures three or four grown men standing on the baseline under their basket screaming at them,and BTW is supposed to be intimidated by ref's they don't see every game(Scotts Hill doesn't play in front of region 7 ref's either)? 25 and 4 is a good season,your kids play hard...be proud of their accomplishments and their sportsmanship,and good luck next year.

No the basket should have counted and BTW charged a team foul and BTW ball side out of bounds. Scott Hill played the better game and deserve to win. My only point was Scott Hill did not dominate BTW and the game was closer than the final score. You can put the poor shooting on the trip or the back drop. I will say there were several key calls that change the outcome of the game. Either way Scott Hill won and BTW lost. So maybe we will do it again next year.

Love to do it again,but let's make the next one at Scotts Hill...LOL! How many underclassmen play for the Lady Warriors? I don't see y'all finishing third or forth next year unless some of the Charter Schools make a big jump,so probably would be at your place again but who knows what happens a year from now? One suggestion...upgrade the few non district games y'all do have in talent,maybe Middleton or Trinity Christian in Jackson would be a good fit distance wise (we travel that far a couple of times most years),and on the boys side both would be good matchups.Win or lose an upgrade in competition helps your team,and might take some of the edge off the girl's nerves come tournament time.Again,best of luck next season and to the boys team,they have a good shot in Murfreesboro,if they get there.

Love to do it again,but let's make the next one at Scotts Hill...LOL! How many underclassmen play for the Lady Warriors? I don't see y'all finishing third or forth next year unless some of the Charter Schools make a big jump,so probably would be at your place again but who knows what happens a year from now?

Before you say that, you need to remember that G.W. Carver, Hillcrest, Mitchell, AND Oakhaven are dropping from AA down into 16A. I'd imagine Oakhaven would be the favorite to win that district next year.

Before you say that, you need to remember that G.W. Carver, Hillcrest, Mitchell, AND Oakhaven are dropping from AA down into 16A. I'd imagine Oakhaven would be the favorite to win that district next year.

Slipped my nind that they were dropping down...unless Oakhaven loses most everybody they will be the favorite among those already there,I don't know much about Carver,Hillcrest and Mitchell,but they should compete as well.

Hats off to Riverside girls for a hard fought game without one of their main players. Hated to walk into gym tonight and see that Lauren Jones had torn ACL - been a tough year for that young lady. Congrats to Madison and Middleton for advancing-----but as an unbiased outside observer, the ladies from Riverside definitey get the heart award tonight.

Hats off to Riverside girls for a hard fought game without one of their main players. Hated to walk into gym tonight and see that Lauren Jones had torn ACL - been a tough year for that young lady. Congrats to Madison and Middleton for advancing-----but as an unbiased outside observer, the ladies from Riverside definitey get the heart award tonight.

Amen to that! Jones is a difference maker,her toughness and determination alone make the Lady Panthers a better team.To fight as hard as they did,and come so close while shorthanded speaks volumes about the character of their kids.Jones's mom told me that the doc wasn't positive about the ACL yet,but that's most likeky the problem...sad that such a good kid has battled through some pretty serious injuries to face another one,but the drive that makes her so good on the floor will get her through this one too.Prayers for a speedy recovery from Scotts Hill...and a Lauren Jones fan.

Slipped my nind that they were dropping down...unless Oakhaven loses most everybody they will be the favorite among those already there,I don't know much about Carver,Hillcrest and Mitchell,but they should compete as well.

Looks like I may have spoken too soon,I went back and cross checked BTW's common opponents against Oakhaven's...the scores reflect that BTW may have been the better team this past season of the two.I guess next season depends on who loses more talent...I thought that AA ball in Menphis was tougher than these scores reflect.