1 State Championship for McMinn Central

bigbearsfan

Central girls assistant coach Joe Young coaches the 8th grade Fire team and is very involved with - if not coaching the 7th graders many times. I know for a fact he encourages certain girls on the Fire team from other areas to consider staying together and coming to Central. Just watch and see how many girls from the current 8th grade Fire team comes to Central that would have normally gone elsewhere - at least 3. There's nothing illegal about this as far as I know, but it's recruiting in a sense.

Not sure how this is not seen as illegal seeing that he is a coach for mcminn central. Any coach who is encouraging kids to come to a school they are not "zoned for" before they have graduated from eighth grade would be deemed illegal according to the tssaa. However, this happens all over the state and rarely, if ever, is anything done about it.

Not sure how this is not seen as illegal seeing that he is a coach for mcminn central. Any coach who is encouraging kids to come to a school they are not "zoned for" before they have graduated from eighth grade would be deemed illegal according to the tssaa. However, this happens all over the state and rarely, if ever, is anything done about it.

You are right, this happens everywhere and will continue. However, as mentioned in a previous post, Coach Young does not recruit. He is simply just a very talented coach. Add Young to the legendary Johnny Morgan and girls and parents flock to Central. I don't agree with some of the decisions these parents make because everyone cannot play. Personally I would want my daughter to go where she is going to get the earliest opportunity to play. I think many come just for the opportunity to be on a championship team whether they play or not. But I will end by saying they don't come because of recruiting, they come because of reputation, a testament to Coach Young.

It's not illegal, but it is a huge advantage. I wasn't saying Joe or the Fire were doing anything improper, I was saying that not all girls at Central were local girls like someone mentioned. Central had at least three girls on their roster this season from other places, and will have even more next year.

Ok calling The CHARGERETTES less talented the year they won state is very disrespectful to this team do you know what happened to this team they lost 3 starters in a matter of 1month first of December lost Ashley Knox to a torn ACL then lost Kelsey Young to meningitis ( which this girl nearly died) and then they lost Nakita Raper to a knee injury so they had to almost rebuild their team due to the losses of these fine ladies. But with the illness that Kelsey had it brought this team closer together they thanked God for bringing her back and healing this girl so Kelsey inspired them for a girl who could not walk or barely talk could make it then anything is possible. So to say they were less talented I think they overcame obstacles no other team should have to indure and they Succeced proud of our State Champion CHARGERETTES !!!!

Ok calling The CHARGERETTES less talented the year they won state is very disrespectful to this team do you know what happened to this team they lost 3 starters in a matter of 1month first of December lost Ashley Knox to a torn ACL then lost Kelsey Young to meningitis ( which this girl nearly died) and then they lost Nakita Raper to a knee injury so they had to almost rebuild their team due to the losses of these fine ladies. But with the illness that Kelsey had it brought this team closer together they thanked God for bringing her back and healing this girl so Kelsey inspired them for a girl who could not walk or barely talk could make it then anything is possible. So to say they were less talented I think they overcame obstacles no other team should have to indure and they Succeced proud of our State Champion CHARGERETTES !!!!

Edited by Carbo

In my opinion It wasn't disrespectful at all. Central has taken far more talented teams to the 'boro and not won. Ashley Knox wasn't a starter and I don't remember Young or Raper starting either, but I could be wrong about one of the latter two.

In my opinion It wasn't disrespectful at all. Central has taken far more talented teams to the 'boro and not won. Ashley Knox wasn't a starter and I don't remember Young or Raper starting either, but I could be wrong about one of the latter two.

Well we meet again. I will not spell check you as you did me but you need it as well. Ashley Knox was a starter. Not sure about Young but she always got significant minutes. I will agree with you on Raper not being that involved. But this team had Adams. Definitely one of the best players that has ever come through the program. This team might not have been the best to have ever come through Central, but they have the prize that matters most! Hope I didn't misspell anything.

I was fortunate enough to have my daughter play for McMinn Fire back in the programs early yrs and no she was not a Central kid and was never recruited by anyone or persuaded to go to central in any way and I assure you she would have been a good player there! The McMinn Fire coaches do a great job of teaching fundamentals and giving these young ladies the opprtunity to play AAU and over the yrs they have had girls that have attended McMinn Co, Central, Polk, Tellico, CAK, Sequoyah, Midway, Meigs, Walker Valley and Rhea and I am sure I have left out several others! But my point is this lets go back to the original thread. (McMinn Central only 1 State Champ) If McMinn Fire Coaches are recruiting girls to Central and they only have 1 Champ in all these yrs that McMinn Fire has been around then obviously they are not doing a very good job of recruiting! Edited by Tyler1988