Sale Creek Panthers

Headhunter42

Good afternoon. I can clear a couple of things up for you guys.

Initially the plan was to launch as a J. V. program. We wanted to play 1 year of JV, and then move the program to varsity. This was because of 15 current sophmores who will be juniors signed up to play next fall. But, when we contacted TSSAA, we found out that 2013 was the first year of a two year scheduling cycle. If we launched JV, it would have to be for 2 years. Those 15 juniors would have been allowed to play as juniors, but would not have been allowed to play as seniors, since we would still be a JV program in the fall of 2014.

While we were mulling this over, and already thinking it wouldn't be fair to those kids to let them play their junior year but not their senior year, the coaching staff was approached by a group of 12 rising seniors that wanted to be a part of the team. They said they would be the practice team, or the scout team, and would do whatever they could do to be able to be part of Sale Creek's first high school football team even though they knew that they would never get to play in any games. So, the coaches sat down with the principal, and the decision was made to launch varsity and not tell these kids that they were too old to play. We contacted TSSAA, and were approved to launch as a varsity program.

We are looking forward to playing this fall. We have a steep learning curve with most of the kids, and we know that we are going to be facing some very talented and far more experienced teams. Our middle school program is only 3 years old. Most of our juniors and seniors have not played in 2 - 3 years minimum, and some not since kid's club. Some coaches would say that is too much to overcome. However, when a new coach takes over a program, he often has to change the way the players did things, or break bad habits in order to implement their systems. Our kids don't have any bad habits to break, they just have to learn what we teach them. One step at a time.

Well thought out and well said. Welcome to HS Football!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer a couple questions....

Our weight room is in serious need of an upgrade, but for now we are making due with what we have and will upgrade as funds become available.

We are in line for a new high school to be built, but best case that is still 4-5 years away.

We begin spring practice next Monday, May 6th, and wrap up with a scrimmage at Midway on Friday May 17th. We will be practicing on the baseball field. We have a practice field being worked on which will be right beind the school. Hopefully it will be ready by fall, if not we continue to use the baseball field.

To answer a couple questions....

Our weight room is in serious need of an upgrade, but for now we are making due with what we have and will upgrade as funds become available.

We are in line for a new high school to be built, but best case that is still 4-5 years away.

We begin spring practice next Monday, May 6th, and wrap up with a scrimmage at Midway on Friday May 17th. We will be practicing on the baseball field. We have a practice field being worked on which will be right beind the school. Hopefully it will be ready by fall, if not we continue to use the baseball field.

If there going build a new school soon I would just wait and build the weight room at the new school. But start rasing money now for it

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on how spring practice is going? How many kids are out for spring?

Week 1 of Spring Practice complete. We have 41 out for practice in all grades. The players are very entusiastic and we couldn't ask for more effort to be given. The effort level is fantastic. About half of them have never played before. They are making lots of mistakes, but are learning from them. My QBs are already able to turn to me immediately and tell me what they should have done as opposed to what they actually did, and I tell them to keep working, doing it right the first time will come with repetition.

We scrimmage Midway this Friday, so that will tell us were we are at. Our goal for the scrimmage is for our kids to play their assignments and do what they are supposed to do.

Week 1 of Spring Practice complete. We have 41 out for practice in all grades. The players are very entusiastic and we couldn't ask for more effort to be given. The effort level is fantastic. About half of them have never played before. They are making lots of mistakes, but are learning from them. My QBs are already able to turn to me immediately and tell me what they should have done as opposed to what they actually did, and I tell them to keep working, doing it right the first time will come with repetition.

We scrimmage Midway this Friday, so that will tell us were we are at. Our goal for the scrimmage is for our kids to play their assignments and do what they are supposed to do.

Hope you guys see improvement through spring. With that many kids that have not played you should see lots of improvement in a short amount of time. It should be easy to teach if they have no bad habits to break.

Good luck.