And Giles New Coach Is.........

Where was he before Mt. Pleasant? I ask, because it doesn't take a genius to know that Mt. Pleasant should ALWAYS have success with the caliber of athletes they have on the 2A level. Not saying he can't coach, just saying success there should be had by anyone with a pulse.

Where would you expect him to have been LeaRoy? Giving his age. So in your opinion all it takes is athletes huh? MP is 0 & 10 the year before and Coach Smith takes them to the playoffs his first year there. Never seen a thoroughbred win a race without a jockey. Have you? :rolleyes:

Where would you expect him to have been LeaRoy? Giving his age. So in your opinion all it takes is athletes huh? MP is 0 & 10 the year before and Coach Smith takes them to the playoffs his first year there. Never seen a thoroughbred win a race without a jockey. Have you? :rolleyes:

Of course that's not what I'm saying, but I am implying that if you go 0-10 at Mt. Pleasant then you're obviously in the wrong profession. And I didn't "expect" him to be anywhere before Mt. Pleasant, I just simply didn't know. That's why I asked the question. Apparently you don't know either.

Also, it obviously takes more than athletes, but you show me a top caliber high school program in this state and I'll show you a team full of athletes. So it certainly doesn't hurt.

Walt will do a great job, he has been able to adapt to the talent that he has had over the years, he was one of the first guys around to truly run a "wildcat' offense and was very successful with it, when he has had a qb that can run and receivers that can catch, along with linemen that can pass block he has thrown the ball....he will take the strengths of his new team and adapt their attack to its greatest benefits...great hire by principal Cardin!

Walt will do a great job.. Giles Co. is lucky a man like him was interested in thejob... While O.C. won and won consistently, he left alot of hard feelings and carnage behind , not only locally, but at the governing level as welll (TSSAA) ... Sanctions should follow the coach who violated the rules , but unfortunately they do not... Best wishes to G.C.H.S. and especially to Coach Walt Smith and principal Mark Cardin... They are 2 of the best...

Walt is a great football coach and really cares for his kids, no matter who you are in coaching you still need athletes to win consistently every year...some coaches can get more out of coaches than other...i guess to say it in another way, if you are at a school and have players playing in division i schools you had better have a pretty decent record. If you are putting kids in colleges on scholarship each and every year you should have a good football team, does not always work that way but by and large . some coaches, i will use rankin, quarles and clint satterfield for example have some great football players but they also maximize the potential of players on their team...you will not notice a high number of players at maryville play division one football but they are so well taught from an early age and that teaching continues on throughout high school that they are a machine...rankin's team specialize on being physical, they killl them in the weight room and do a few things very well...sorry to wander on but i try to study many different types of coaching and i go on to much