D. Maddux to DLU?

BigENS

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking a look at this situation, while I think Coach Maddux would do great at Lipscomb.......we really do not know how good of a coach he is.

Comparing his teams to others is apples and oranges. He does well with the talent he has, but looking at things equally........the talent on his roster is better than anyone outside of Memphis. Sure, he makes some adjustments, but his teams are exceptionally talented versus the ones he is having to play. That's what makes him such a polarizing figure in TSSAA and high school regards, but would not be an issue at the mid-major level.

Point being, if he was ejected in the 1st quarter of every game this season, would CPA really lose that many games? Probably not. Comparing his teams to the Maplewoods, MLKs, Lipscombs, and East Lit.'s is not a real assessment of how good an in-game coach he is.

Taking a look at this situation, while I think Coach Maddux would do great at Lipscomb.......we really do not know how good of a coach he is.

Comparing his teams to others is apples and oranges. He does well with the talent he has, but looking at things equally........the talent on his roster is better than anyone outside of Memphis. Sure, he makes some adjustments, but his teams are exceptionally talented versus the ones he is having to play. That's what makes him such a polarizing figure in TSSAA and high school regards, but would not be an issue at the mid-major level.

Point being, if he was ejected in the 1st quarter of every game this season, would CPA really lose that many games? Probably not. Comparing his teams to the Maplewoods, MLKs, Lipscombs, and East Lit.'s is not a real assessment of how good an in-game coach he is.

Isn't that the truth! Show me any other school the size of CPA with an entire starting line up of D1 college prospects. Oak Hill, Montverede, Findley Prep, Simeone come to mind.

Even if he does leave CPA, he has groomed Couey well in the ways of finding the best talent and getting them into the school early within the rules of the TSSAA. I don't expect any changes at CPA until the whole staff is gone. The new MS coach that was recently hired just happens to be the founder of Power Basketball TN, adding yet another way to increase the pipeline of young basketball talent.

If I am following your logic - When Maddox started at CPA,those early teams did not go to the state - bad coach? Or did not have the talent it takes to get to/win the state. Joey Spann when at Ezell Harding, girls dominated for several years and he took several teams to the state and won state at least once. He had great talent. He has been at Goodpasture for a few years now and has not been to state since. I would "think" in both cases the coaches have not gotten better or worse - but the talent has. There are exceptions - but talent, and who has the most - usually wins - no matter what level.

If I am following your logic - When Maddox started at CPA,those early teams did not go to the state - bad coach? Or did not have the talent it takes to get to/win the state. Joey Spann when at Ezell Harding, girls dominated for several years and he took several teams to the state and won state at least once. He had great talent. He has been at Goodpasture for a few years now and has not been to state since. I would "think" in both cases the coaches have not gotten better or worse - but the talent has. There are exceptions - but talent, and who has the most - usually wins - no matter what level.

Coach Spann never had 4-5 D1 players on one roster, or 2 top 100 players on his roster. Are you serious with this comparison?

My point is, Until he brought in his version of the Fab Five, he didn't win the title. Most of time, talent does win out. Except his talent is on par with some small college teams.

Coach Spann never had 4-5 D1 players on one roster, or 2 top 100 players on his roster. Are you serious with this comparison?

My point is, Until he brought in his version of the Fab Five, he didn't win the title. Most of time, talent does win out. Except his talent is on par with some small college teams.

You are absolutely right - If Spann had of had 4-5 D1 players he would have more State Titles. Are you talking about coaching or talent, far as good coach/bad coach?

You are absolutely right - If Spann had of had 4-5 D1 players he would have more State Titles. Are you talking about coaching or talent, far as good coach/bad coach?

My point is that the CPA state championships were won without real X's and O's coaching. He basically out talented everyone in AA, and by a large margin. The question raised is we really aren't sure how great an in game strategist Maddux is, because he has multiple D1 players over the last 2 seasons on the floor at the same time, where a good AA team is lucky to have 1.

When u have that much talent - do you need a good Coach? The answer is yes. This board topic is about Maddox going to DLU. And u infer he can't coach/win with lesser talent. And he did not win state titiles when he first came to CPA. Either he did not have the talent or he has become a better coach. Or the talent got better and he is still the same coach. Most posters will say that he recruits. Isn't that what it is all about in at the College level?

For all of those curious, Coach Maddux has announced he will be staying at CPA and not interested in the Lipscomb Univ. position. Great news for us CPA fans.

What did he say about taking the money from Ensworth if Ricky Bowers leaves for Lipscomb University? Is CPA ready to play 6 figures + to keep Drew as their basketball coach.