CPA's Jalen Lindsey leaving CPA

Ticket

CPA’s Jalen Lindsey tweets that he’s transferring to Huntington Prep

April 26th, 2013 | by Chip Cirillo

Christ Presbyterian Academy basketball star Jalen Lindsey tweeted late Thursday night that he is transferring to Huntington, WV, Prep for his senior year.

“It was the hardest decision of my life, but yes, I will be attending Huntingdon Prep next year for my senior year! If anybody was in doubt!†Lindsey tweeted.

Attempts to reach Lindsey and CPA boys coach Drew Maddux were unsuccessful.

Lindsey was named the Class AA Mr. Basketball winner and the state tournament MVP as he led the Lions to their second straight state title last season.

The 6-foot-7 junior is a major college prospect who has 20 offers, including Louisville, Ohio State, Florida, Vanderbilt and Tennessee.

Huntington Prep (30-3) finished seventh in USA Today’s national rankings last season.

Huntington Prep swingman Andrew Wiggins was named the Gatorade boys national basketball player of the year and the USA Today player of the year last season.

Lindsey averaged 19.3 points, 7.9 rebounds and 2.2 blocks last season.

Good decision.

There is not enough competition for him on the CPA roster or in the CPA schedule if he wants to be driven hard enough to enter the highest tier of players in the nation. I know that's hard for the local posters around these parts to believe, but if you REALLY think that CPA is in the same category as Oak Hill, Huntington Prep, Findlay Prep, Montverde, etc., then you need to get out more. It is not even close.

Good decision.

There is not enough competition for him on the CPA roster or in the CPA schedule if he wants to be driven hard enough to enter the highest tier of players in the nation. I know that's hard for the local posters around these parts to believe, but if you REALLY think that CPA is in the same category as Oak Hill, Huntington Prep, Findlay Prep, Montverde, etc., then you need to get out more. It is not even close.

I agree. But I have noticed, CPA fans believe that CPA is on that level.

As a CPA fan, I wish him well. Don't necessarily believe it will help him that much, since he already plays on a nationally ranked AAU team when he is not playing for CPA, but if that is what he and his family think is best for him, that is their right and they know better than anyone else the situation. I will continue to be a Lindsey fan wherever he is and hope for him the best, not only in basketball, but also life. Thankful for the contribution he made to CPA as a 4 year starter.

Edited by sportsnerd

I think it's a good move on Lindsey's part. He's high Division 1 good, but not Kentucky/North Carolina good (despite the Louisville offer). Hopefully, this will help him get there. I'm not so sure AAU is working that well in that respect. Competition is high caliber, but he's not setting the world on fire with the Stampede.

He's received public congratulations from numerous well wishers - but his coach is conspicuously quiet on the subject (which is most unusual for someone who isn't quiet about much of anything). Of course, he did offer a criticism of the recruiting by the national basketball factories - an amazingly ironic statement coming from someone in his situation.

I think it's a good move on Lindsey's part. He's high Division 1 good, but not Kentucky/North Carolina good (despite the Louisville offer). Hopefully, this will help him get there. I'm not so sure AAU is working that well in that respect. Competition is high caliber, but he's not setting the world on fire with the Stampede.

He's received public congratulations from numerous well wishers - but his coach is conspicuously quiet on the subject (which is most unusual for someone who isn't quiet about much of anything). Of course, he did offer a criticism of the recruiting by the national basketball factories - an amazingly ironic statement coming from someone in his situation.

Right!

I am not a CPA fan or even from Tn., and I see both sides, but for those of you who think the Oak Hills, Huntington Preps etc... play a tough game each night, that is far from the case. HP had 7 or 8 good games out of their 33 this past season and the others were walkovers. The competition in practice will probably be better. The coaching is a ? mark. Not saying it won't be as good, but I have personally sat behind the benches of several of these prep schools and some are very good, some are ok, some not so much. Just because they have great records doesn't mean they are greatly coached. The better coaches are the high school level, not the prep school level. If he wasn't at a school that wasn't already playing in the top hs tourneys and stuff I might see this move as a positive, but I just don't, not in this case or a lot of cases.

I am not a CPA fan or even from Tn., and I see both sides, but for those of you who think the Oak Hills, Huntington Preps etc... play a tough game each night, that is far from the case. HP had 7 or 8 good games out of their 33 this past season and the others were walkovers. The competition in practice will probably be better. The coaching is a ? mark. Not saying it won't be as good, but I have personally sat behind the benches of several of these prep schools and some are very good, some are ok, some not so much. Just because they have great records doesn't mean they are greatly coached. The better coaches are the high school level, not the prep school level. If he wasn't at a school that wasn't already playing in the top hs tourneys and stuff I might see this move as a positive, but I just don't, not in this case or a lot of cases.

Wheather his skills will be better honed there than CPA is a mute point...the move is about exposure.Winning the AA crown in Tn. is no small feat,but in the grand scheme of things the 'preps offer something that even CPA cant...national recognition,and the stigma that goes with the 'preps alumni list at division one schools and the NBA.Big fish in a little pond or,try your luck in a bigger body of water?

As I already said, as a CPA who has watched him play for 5 years, I wish him well and have no hard feelings. He has been a good player, teammate, classmate and friend to many. The only thing I regret is that he is being uprooted from his home and friends going into his senior year. He will miss some of the postives of graduating from the school he has been at for several years, and with his friends. You're only young once. But it is his and his family's choice, and I respect that.