Politics in school sports

softballer865

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think that a good player will ever be kept from playing by politics/favoritism, etc. There will be players whose ability level is equal to several other players and then it becomes the coach's opinion (ie politics, favoritism) that decides who plays. I wish I would have had enough great players to where this had become a problem. My opinion, let her play high school ball.

If the goal is to become a college player, why separate your daughter from the rest of the pack in such a manner...It would tell the college coach to inspect the parents, to check the kid's attitude, or to bypass completely instead wasting time. If the adversity of high school is too much, how is this kid going to possibly handle college ball?

The thing is, SHE is the one wanting to just do travel ball year round. I actually tried to talk her out of it, although I do understand how she feels. I'm not about to force her to do it. This coach is famous for favoritism and it is DEFINATELY going on. She realizes after this year, she will get alot of playing time, but it's about respect, she only wants what she earns. She feels like..."why devote six days a week to a coach that would never give her what she has fully earned?" It's not the six days a week thing that bothers her, she loves softball, and she works sometimes for 2 extra hours after practice. it's the never getting what she has earned with this coach. Besides she wants to get back to playing at a higher level than high school offers.

This is not about us being disgruntled parents or her being a baby. This is actually legitamately happening. She's got the stats to prove it. I've actually had more than a few parents on the team ask me why my daughter isn't playing, of course I have no logical reason. She is at least going to sit down with the coach at the end of the season and tell the coach how she feels. I feel if it is meant to be then, it is up to the coach to convince her.

Travel ball only? Simple question..........how many college coaches do you see at high school games?, but the kid has to play in high traffic events only....ie high profile college exposure tournaments. the problem the kid is now on a stage with only the best. Picking a kid out of that prospective talent is almost immpossible. He/She has to be a complete standout to be found in that talent poole. Ask any BIG college coach and they will tell you straight forward they do not recruit from high school onlly travel ball. grades are what is important in high school. High GPA and ACT scores are what they look at after they have found the talent. For my two cents, i think high school ball is invaluable for the athlete. First of all for the comradere and development of team values. You dont get that in the higher leveel of travel ball because they usually dont evven know each other. Its a decision you as a family have to make. Is she at the top of the game both academically and athletically? If so travel ball is the way. If not (not that she isnt good, but is she the best) I suggest a mix. Good talent will shine, at any level.

I could understand wanting to play select softball all season long, as that is truly where girls get seen and recruited by colleges. Very rarely will you see a college coach at a high school game, unless its a JUCO or local university/college. However, I think if the choice of not playing prep softball is because of politics then that is the wrong move. Politics are prevalent everywhere in society (sports, work, etc.), so somewhere along the line you have to move past that issue. Overall, prep ball is considered a fun time for serious select players. Playing school ball gives a girl a sense of pride for her school, and an opportunity to play with and for her teammates/classmates and not her coach. I think you miss out on some memories by skipping over prep ball.

I could understand wanting to play select softball all season long, as that is truly where girls get seen and recruited by colleges. Very rarely will you see a college coach at a high school game, unless its a JUCO or local university/college. However, I think if the choice of not playing prep softball is because of politics then that is the wrong move. Politics are prevalent everywhere in society (sports, work, etc.), so somewhere along the line you have to move past that issue. Overall, prep ball is considered a fun time for serious select players. Playing school ball gives a girl a sense of pride for her school, and an opportunity to play with and for her teammates/classmates and not her coach. I think you miss out on some memories by skipping over prep ball.

Very well said I have two daughters and both play softball for Highschool and both play travel. I also coach travel as well and I always encourage my girls to play school ball and play as much as their hearts desire. There are alot of politics in sports but if the coach has a good program the best players will fill those roles. Highscool sports are memories for a life time and they should be cherished. Just remember without the grades travel ball is just a hobby!!