Dobyns-Bennett Spring Practice?

Yeah really, very quite in here. Where are all the South fans? You guys want back on the schedule or not?

Between here and the Big 7 thread there have been several comments by South fans but all I've heard from from D-B is akin to "need to keep working" and "we'll be OK". Not much substance to talk about there. I've been waiting for someone to make a comment we can have a conversation about but this has been the quietest I have ever seen a D-B thread. I also don't see why in the world a school with a projected enrollment of 936 next year would be clamoring to get on the schedule of a school with almost 2000, especially when a loss penalizes you in the playoffs. That is just silly.

Between here and the Big 7 thread there have been several comments by South fans but all I've heard from from D-B is akin to "need to keep working" and "we'll be OK". Not much substance to talk about there. I've been waiting for someone to make a comment we can have a conversation about but this has been the quietest I have ever seen a D-B thread. I also don't see why in the world a school with a projected enrollment of 936 next year would be clamoring to get on the schedule of a school with almost 2000, especially when a loss penalizes you in the playoffs. That is just silly.

Theres probably less than 5 fans for DB & South even looking at these threads right now. Usually people don't start to get interested until mid July. The only reason I'm here is because it rains all the time now and I can't get out and do landscaping. I don't know how important spring practice is. Usually a team is only a shell of what it will be in August. And they have to spend the first week of summer practice trying to get the players to remember what they learned in the spring. I wish I could give you something to talk about but there is nothing much there. DB probably won't be as exciting to watch as last year. I look for a slow start and by the end of the season be a pretty good football team. I don't see anybody up here beating them. As far as enrollment goes I don't see that has a whole lot to do with it. It might make a little difference in some years. I think coaching is the big difference. South used to dominate Science Hill who has the largest enrollment in East Tn. We know what changed that. Gate City used to always beat the crap out of Tennessee High with half the enrollment. Then theres Alcoa, I don't need to explain that one. If South hired Gary Rankin with their 936 students I don't think they would complain about enrollment any more. But then again, enrollment usually isn't a issue until you get beat. Then it becomes a excuse.

Theres probably less than 5 fans for DB & South even looking at these threads right now. Usually people don't start to get interested until mid July. The only reason I'm here is because it rains all the time now and I can't get out and do landscaping. I don't know how important spring practice is. Usually a team is only a shell of what it will be in August. And they have to spend the first week of summer practice trying to get the players to remember what they learned in the spring. I wish I could give you something to talk about but there is nothing much there. DB probably won't be as exciting to watch as last year. I look for a slow start and by the end of the season be a pretty good football team. I don't see anybody up here beating them. As far as enrollment goes I don't see that has a whole lot to do with it. It might make a little difference in some years. I think coaching is the big difference. South used to dominate Science Hill who has the largest enrollment in East Tn. We know what changed that. Gate City used to always beat the crap out of Tennessee High with half the enrollment. Then theres Alcoa, I don't need to explain that one. If South hired Gary Rankin with their 936 students I don't think they would complain about enrollment any more. But then again, enrollment usually isn't a issue until you get beat. Then it becomes a excuse.

I think that community involvement and the resulting foundation/investment made in developmental leagues and resources is more important than enrollment. That is usually why you see all of the city schools with an advantage. Harry Frye laid that foundation in Gate City decades ago. I don't think that Johnson City has had a consistent focus/sense of excitement for football but that may have changed. For a county school, South has pretty good community involvement but you are definitely correct that coaching is a bit different these days. I've honestly seen a few things that I thought were improvements but a lot of other situations in the last couple years have been frustrating to watch.

Edited by RebRaider85

t

I'm sure that the Barger kid was listed as a senior on last year's roster so he would not be eligible anyway. I've read most of the write-ups in the Kingsport paper about the baseball team and haven't recognized any football key contributors (who are not already seniors). In track the only key contributor that I recognized (who wasnt a senior) was Zach Casey. One of my D-B friends told me that the 2013 Tribe team woiuld be riding on Zach's shoulders. There were a few more football players on the track & field team but no other underclassmen that I recognized as previously having a BIG impact on the football field. So, given all that, who are they talking about as being missing???

In my opinion, our qb needs to mature with the offense we run regardless of Zack Casey or not. Edited by tennesseestud2013

Is D-B still running the Ga. Tech offense? I figured they would change things up this year after Foreman, Swafford and Barger graduated.

I do not know if we are, but I figured we will still be using that offense. I think we will be more of a power offense with Casey, Trammell and etc. Our offensive line should be better.I heard we had a good sophomore coming up. We also have Palmer Begley too. The question I would like to know is will Makale Foreman play this year. I am worried about our quarterback whoever it may be maturing, our wide receivers and our defense..

The question I would like to know is will Makale Foreman play this year. I am worried about our quarterback whoever it may be maturing, our wide receivers and our defense..

Foreman is not playing football, concentrating on his basketball. My pick for QB would be Caleb Cook. We will see. DB has players, we just don't know them all yet. The Indians will have a monster line in '13. I am excited about the season. Roll Tribe Roll

Foreman is not playing football, concentrating on his basketball. My pick for QB would be Caleb Cook. We will see. DB has players, we just don't know them all yet. The Indians will have a monster line in '13. I am excited about the season. Roll Tribe Roll

I thought the East boy was next in line. Then somebody told me Josh Holt was running QB at the scrimmage. Caleb would be a natural I would think. I understand they put the ball on the ground a lot during the scrimmage and need to shore that up. Maybe they will platoon QBs this season.

I thought the East boy was next in line. Then somebody told me Josh Holt was running QB at the scrimmage. Caleb would be a natural I would think. I understand they put the ball on the ground a lot during the scrimmage and need to shore that up. Maybe they will platoon QBs this season.

I think not having Austin at center for the scrimmage had a lot to do with many of the fumbles.I remember how important that turned out to be for South in 2006,when they got to the third string center against DB.That and DB's blitz packages made for a very long night for Curt. The problem that I see for the Tribe this year is speed.DB has many good athletes,but having the speed to get outside or stretch the field against really good 6A teams and stick close to fast receivers on defense will take some guys really stepping up or transferring in.One mistake when all things are equal is a lot different then having Foreman covering someone on the outside.We will have Holt back in the middle,"maybe" depending on where he works on the offensive side of the ball,but a lot of speed has been lost for this year.