Hillwood Coaching Vacancy

The last good Hillwood team I saw was the one with Joey Runion and John Barbero in 1973....The Toppers are in a no win situation as long as their enrollment stays at current levels.....It`s really sad to see that school falling apart in such a nice part of Nashville. It sits right next to a beautiful country club and across the street from a subdivision with high end real estate, yet it looks like it did 40 years ago....a microcosm of urban public education.

Credit your government and busing

Hillwood had three straight solid seasons from 2002-2004.

2002 was 6-5 with a win over Stratford in the Bellevue Exchange Bowl.

2003 was 9-2 losing to Hillsboro (eventual state champs) and Clarksville Northwest

2004 was 12-1 winning their first 12 games (including Hillboro) before losing at White House in the quarterfinals.

Since that time, I don't believe they have won more than three games in a season.

I think they were 4-6 last year, just missing the playoffs due to a last game near-miss against McGavock who got in with the win. (?)

Hillwood's highlight was probably the win over Ryan.

I'm not sure who decided that Hillsboro would get the academic IB program and not Hillwood with the amount of "flight" to private schools out of the Hillwood zone (and to Hume Fogg and MLK) but that decision certainly was no favor to Hillwood.  It would be nice to see something in place for parents/kids in the Hillwood zone like that which would boost everything that goes on there and maybe convince them to not automatically go somewhere else.