Hillwood Coaching Vacancy

Whoever is chosen as coach, best of luck. Hillwood is a difficult place to achieve consistency. Historically, in a 10 year stretch, you may have the opportunity to win in three of those 10 years. Phil Grammar had a nice run from '87 to '90. Jerry Link has two good years in '03 and '04. That '04 team was the best in school history 12-1 playoff quarterfinalist; tip of the cap to coaches: Link, Moore, Brown, Lewis, and Komisar.

I agree with that to some degree. Grammar did well with the zone/talent in his day. Link didn't fair so well during the 90's. During that time, privates & magnets raided the zone of good talent. Don't take that as an excuse for Link; but it was a huge factor. In 2001, the zone changed & some good athletes were walking the halls. It didn't matter what the zone was like when Karl Lang was principal. That idiot almost killed the school. Baskins & Phillips didn't have a chance. All those coaches who have had this job know that the talent level is not what your opponents have. I personally liked Bubba & I thought he did a good job with what he had. I will say that Bubba ultimately did less with the best talent Metro has ever had during his first two years as head coach at Stratford. Potentially, those should have been two state championship teams. The only person who has done less with more was Ralph Potter at BA. Wherever the enrollment is; I agree that moving down would help. I only wish the best for the new head coach & the Toppers.

So basically it is about having players. Every school in metro that has had success,that success can be linked to having a good group of players. Talent comes and goes,that is just how it is. Coaching can only take you so far,bottom line it is players. History has proven this over and over,just look at the records. Team has good players they win,not so good players,not a very good season. Coaching does make some difference,not much whether it be winning or losing.

Edited by runtheball

No zone historically has lost students to private schools at the rate Hillwood has since, let's say 1970 or so. But with more and bigger private schools after that, the "flight" has become much greater. Even before the start of the "big" flight to private schools there was already a time (maybe 1976) when the star QB (& point guard) at BGA actually lived down the street from Hillwood while the leading scorers in basketball at MBA and USN also lived in the Hillwood zone. Since then, the loss of students to NCS, CPA, Ryan, USN etc. has now been joined by kids going out of zone to magnet schools such as MLK.

They are indeed at a distinct disadvantage to be in a part of town that is far from "disadvantaged."

Edited by nrgrizzlies

So basically it is about having players. Every school in metro that has had success,that success can be linked to having a good group of players. Talent comes and goes,that is just how it is. Coaching can only take you so far,bottom line it is players. History has proven this over and over,just look at the records. Team has good players they win,not so good players,not a very good season. Coaching does make some difference,not much whether it be winning or losing.

Ask Maryville if coaching makes a big difference in winning or losing.. Coaching decides games IMO. Talent only takes you so far.. That's the bottom line

Ask Maryville if coaching makes a big difference in winning or losing.. Coaching decides games IMO. Talent only takes you so far.. That's the bottom line

You need talent to win and you need players who will work hard as a team and a good coach with leadership skills who can coach them up and focus on each game

• Upvote 1