2013 Preseason Coaches Poll- 5A

MSURacer

Beech is the front-runner and everybody else is playing for 2nd banana. The only way Beech doesn't win another gold ball is if Mr. Hurd is injured to the point to where he can't perform during the playoffs. He's a threat to score even when teams stack the box ... and they will. They did it all last season. Beech isn't a one man team either, so, it's theirs for the taking. The rest of the list looks good. Too bad Henry County and Ridgeway are both in the West because Beech will be representing the West in 5A this year.

Well.....can't argue with that........but 5a is very good and its theirs to take again....but like everyone tells me....its a new season full of film from last season....... :popcorneater:

Well.....can't argue with that........but 5a is very good and its theirs to take again....but like everyone tells me....its a new season full of film from last season....... :popcorneater:

Well, you could argue, but what's the point in that? LOL ... :rolleyes:

This year is going to be interesting because last year the big debate was who was the best RB in TN. JH became the heir appearent but many were touting the virtues of Corn Elder, Mark Dodson, and the OTHER Jaylen(s). (Mark wasn't even the leading rusher in the Memphis area last year, that title went to a Mr. Orlando Johnson who played at Ridgeway) All of whom were studs in their own right. I wonder who the studs will be this year besides Mr. Hurd. It all starts in less then 2 months from now.

Well, you could argue, but what's the point in that? LOL ... :rolleyes:

This year is going to be interesting because last year the big debate was who was the best RB in TN. JH became the heir appearent but many were touting the virtues of Corn Elder, Mark Dodson, and the OTHER Jaylen(s). (Mark wasn't even the leading rusher in the Memphis area last year, that title went to a Mr. Orlando Johnson who played at Ridgeway) All of whom were studs in their own right. I wonder who the studs will be this year besides Mr. Hurd. It all starts in less then 2 months from now.

Correct...not concerned about the leading rusher ....only the state champ...who will win it all.....that remains to be seen.....we got alot of studs in 5a......rbs dbs wrs ol and dl....thats what it will take to win it all.....glad to see Hurd representing 5a.....but its alot more where he comes from.......hey its some young studs that havent been revealed yet ......but trust me......they are ready :popcorneater:

This list doesnt mean anything......only the last teams standing from last season playoff run....I know Beech has Hurd....but how can u be predicted to win it all with only 3/3 off/def players returning??? 5a is too good for a one man show....But Hurd is a man among boys.....but with the right db...... :popcorneater:

I agree these rankings don't mean much, but I always enjoy the discussion.

I'd also say that Beech is ranked #1 for a good reason. They have a very good coaching staff, so the team around Hurd will probably be more than serviceable. That's simply hard to ignore after the show he put on last season.

Beech is the front-runner and everybody else is playing for 2nd banana. The only way Beech doesn't win another gold ball is if Mr. Hurd is injured to the point to where he can't perform during the playoffs. He's a threat to score even when teams stack the box ... and they will. They did it all last season. Beech isn't a one man team either, so, it's theirs for the taking. The rest of the list looks good. Too bad Henry County and Ridgeway are both in the West because Beech will be representing the West in 5A this year.

If he stays healthy, you could very well be correct, although I believe they will have a tougher road through the playoffs than they did last season.

If he stays healthy, you could very well be correct, although I believe they will have a tougher road through the playoffs than they did last season.

I actually disagree. With the many talented skill guys and backfield options this year, I see Hurd playing less offense and more defense. Opposing teams will have trouble scoring with him in the game though. Neither Oakland or Dickson Co. scored while he was in the game during both of their scrimmages. He's a monster on offense, but he's as good if not better on defense (which most people don't realize because he hasn't played it that much). He's at 6'3 230 lbs right now (20 lbs. heavier than last year).

Beech's lines may not be as good as they were last year, but then again, this is the same thing that we said last year about this time. We held a potential top 3 6A team (Oakland) to 2-0 with the starters in the game. So, I feel confident that once the team solidifies and if everyone remains healthy, they should have a pretty good shot against anyone they face.

I agree these rankings don't mean much, but I always enjoy the discussion.

I'd also say that Beech is ranked #1 for a good reason. They have a very good coaching staff, so the team around Hurd will probably be more than serviceable. That's simply hard to ignore after the show he put on last season.

Thats where it starts....a good coaching staff with high football IQ to pass along to the team.....heck look at Murivil...
  • Upvote 1

I actually disagree. With the many talented skill guys and backfield options this year, I see Hurd playing less offense and more defense. Opposing teams will have trouble scoring with him in the game though. Neither Oakland or Dickson Co. scored while he was in the game during both of their scrimmages. He's a monster on offense, but he's as good if not better on defense (which most people don't realize because he hasn't played it that much). He's at 6'3 230 lbs right now (20 lbs. heavier than last year).

Beech's lines may not be as good as they were last year, but then again, this is the same thing that we said last year about this time. We held a potential top 3 6A team (Oakland) to 2-0 with the starters in the game. So, I feel confident that once the team solidifies and if everyone remains healthy, they should have a pretty good shot against anyone they face.

Like my Hurricane rivals always tell me......that was last season.......

What are you disagreeing with?

I was talking about the opposition being better, not Beech being worse.

What are you disagreeing with?

I was talking about the opposition being better, not Beech being worse.

No, I was disagreeing with our road being tougher. We had close games last year because we got scored on easily in some games. It won't be the same this year. Our defense looks as solid as our offense.