Oak Ridge football

rallykat

Ok, and who were those that got run down? And was it from behind or were their angles involved? Matt Moore got ran down a few times with angles involved. I'm talking flat run someone down from behind after they have gotten into full speed gear. Brandon Bonds is another not many are going to run down, unless they are a track star. Their are a lot of factors involved when you say they got "run down"

Lots of factors in getting run down. I filmed a lot of the scrimmage and have watched over and over. Lots of angles involved. Dunbar and Higgins were almost at a dead stop and start with jukes and cuts. A lot easier to sprint after someone without the ball than it is to run, find the hole, juke, make someone miss, and start again. Heck, even my freshmen back was 69 and a half yards down the field before being pushed out at the pylon and he is nowhere as fast as fifteen other backs and receivers. Depending on field position, I'll take 50, 60, or 70 yards all day long. No one had a bust up the middle and clear sailing. They all made lots of people miss .

I see his point. Not scary fast, but we'll be fine. No Matt Moore on the team, but still some that can go the distance (especially in a straight line).

Ok, and who were those that got run down? And was it from behind or were their angles involved? Matt Moore got ran down a few times with angles involved. I'm talking flat run someone down from behind after they have gotten into full speed gear. Brandon Bonds is another not many are going to run down, unless they are a track star. Their are a lot of factors involved when you say they got "run down"

I'm not complaining but I'm worried. We have no breakaway speed. The coaches can't do anything about it but its a fact. Our backs look to be of average speed and the same at QB and receiver.

I'm not complaining but I'm worried. We have no breakaway speed. The coaches can't do anything about it but its a fact. Our backs look to be of average speed and the same at QB and receiver.

I do agree that we don't have that scary guy, but plenty of real good ones. I am much more concerned about defensive speed.

Matt Moore's come around say ohhh, once every 20 years or so. Not many kids have that type of speed. When was the last time Maryville had a guy with flatout breakaway speed? Desmond Horne did a few years ago, maybe Tyler Maples? on the Douglas teams but other then that Maryville has never been full of a ton of speed. A lot of guys with good speed, like we have. It seems they have been doing good without that lately. We have plenty of speed on the offensive side of the ball. To call it average is, well....Dead wrong. BTW, Moore had tremendous speed, but didn't have good lateral movement. I'd take a kid with great lateral movement with good speed anyday then a guy with awesome speed who isn't very adept at "juking", which Moore never really had.

Edited by GaddisTossSweep

Copied this from another thread:

OR nole, on 11 Aug 2013 - 7:38 PM, said:snapback.png

Trust me, I would love to see some parents pay tuition and have their kids also play football (as with some other schools), but it didn't happen this year. All Oak Ridge freshmen are homegrown this year. I wouldn't bet against some transfers in the next couple of years to join that group. Any you want to send our way? Hard to compete with Catholic or Webb, but we'll take any you can spare.

9/11 starting on defense have played OR Boys Club and Middle School since age 5. The other two missed a few years, but still homegrown.

Wait, giving the benefit of the doubt, maybe he meant Gaddis walking the halls and visiting the local middle schools to get kids to come out. getting involved in the youth teams to make them relevant again. Did anyone know our best youth players were playing at CLAXTON and SOUTH CLINTON during the last coaches tenure? That is shameful, but very true. Looking forward to great varsity and freshmen games with the Ads.

Whoa, if that's the truth with that last comment you made about them kids playing for Claxton and South Clinton then that is indeed sad. How did that come about? And yeah, i should've given him the benefit of the doubt. I'm just so used to people saying we "recruited" back when Gaddis was here the 1st time around that i just assume that's what folks mean when they say that. I played in the 90's and all the kids that were on those great teams i played on i grew up with, so i just think it's comical when people say that. People just assume that since we had so many good players during that time that we were recruiting. Nature of the beast, i reckon

Answer: A few years ago the stance of the Boys Club was "we are not a feeder program". This years freshmen had to play on one team when they were 11 years old because there was not enough to field an East and a West team. (They were real good). Since then a few good ones have played in Claxton and South Clinton. Some to Pilot or other Knox teams. I think Coach Gaddis has used his contacts to bring back local youth football. We'll see.

Copied this from another thread:

OR nole, on 11 Aug 2013 - 7:38 PM, said:snapback.png

Whoa, if that's the truth with that last comment you made about them kids playing for Claxton and South Clinton then that is indeed sad. How did that come about? And yeah, i should've given him the benefit of the doubt. I'm just so used to people saying we "recruited" back when Gaddis was here the 1st time around that i just assume that's what folks mean when they say that. I played in the 90's and all the kids that were on those great teams i played on i grew up with, so i just think it's comical when people say that. People just assume that since we had so many good players during that time that we were recruiting. Nature of the beast, i reckon

Answer: A few years ago the stance of the Boys Club was "we are not a feeder program". This years freshmen had to play on one team when they were 11 years old because there was not enough to field an East and a West team. (They were real good). Since then a few good ones have played in Claxton and South Clinton. Some to Pilot or other Knox teams. I think Coach Gaddis has used his contacts to bring back local youth football. We'll see.

Thanks. Well, who was the one to make that call about it not being a feeder program? What a lughead whoever it was...Lets hope Gaddis gets those kids to stay here in OR where they belong. Can't believe Blade allowed that, but on the other hand i can. Wasn't very adept at publicity, and it hurt. Great coach, but just ignored little things like that.

1990 Oak Ridge vs Lincoln County Round 3 of the playoffs. Lincoln County went on to win this game and then went on to win the State Championship that year over the Todd Helton led Central Bobcats. LC that year is still one of the best teams i have ever seen. Kelly Holcombe their QB went on to have a career in the NFL. Oak Ridge was tough as heck that year, too. Shawn Summers and co. would go on to redeem themselves the next year with a 30-0 thrashing of Gallatin in the State Championship. Gotta love the song to this one ;)

I was at that game and one of the things besides the game was the concession stand cooked hamburgers on a grill all night . The smoke ran down through the valley the field was in. Couldn't eat a charcoal burger for awhile. The drive down there was a nightmare also. All that plus losing!

ROLL WILDCATS ROLL

Edited by bounder

Matt Moore's come around say ohhh, once every 20 years or so. Not many kids have that type of speed. When was the last time Maryville had a guy with flatout breakaway speed? Desmond Horne did a few years ago, maybe Tyler Maples? on the Douglas teams but other then that Maryville has never been full of a ton of speed. A lot of guys with good speed, like we have. It seems they have been doing good without that lately. We have plenty of speed on the offensive side of the ball. To call it average is, well....Dead wrong. BTW, Moore had tremendous speed, but didn't have good lateral movement. I'd take a kid with great lateral movement with good speed anyday then a guy with awesome speed who isn't very adept at "juking", which Moore never really had.

Prevo for Maryville has break away speed.

Prevo for Maryville has break away speed.

I disagree, Dragon. Prevo got ran down a few times against Oak Ridge, albeit he ran all over us the past few years lol. Saw Rashad Gray our safety last year and the year before run him down a few times the past couple of years. Prevo had a real long run against us last year in the regular season. Rashad ran him all the way down and wasn't even able to oush him out of bounds when he did. If he would've actually pushed him instead of touching him he wouldn't have scored on that play, either. Prevo has good speed, not breakaway by any means.

I disagree, Dragon. Prevo got ran down a few times against Oak Ridge, albeit he ran all over us the past few years lol. Saw Rashad Gray our safety last year and the year before run him down a few times the past couple of years. Prevo had a real long run against us last year in the regular season. Rashad ran him all the way down and wasn't even able to oush him out of bounds when he did. If he would've actually pushed him instead of touching him he wouldn't have scored on that play, either. Prevo has good speed, not breakaway by any means.

Totally agree,good not great speed seen him ran down a few times. Edited by orngnblk