Wayne County vs Collinwood

wildcat89

7 to 6 was not the score I was expecting.  Were the defenses that good or did the offenses just struggle?

I thought Collinwood played great defense all night.  Unfortunately they have had a lot of injuries and now there isn't much depth.  A lot of players were cramping up at the end of the game but they sucked it up and finished strong with a goal line stand.   There should have been more scoring but there were tons and tons of penalties and dropped passes by both teams.  

Collinwood played without their running backs, both are hurt...Ragan went out early with a concussion and a wrist injury.  Despite that the offense moved the ball well but the dropped balls really hurt.

some observations?!

Preston Rice looks like  a better pure passer than his brothers but he lacks their  overall athletic

ability and quick feet...and he doesn't play defense.  Kinda reminded me of Jacob Tucker throwing

the ball but of course Tucker was a great runner, a great linebacker, and a great special teams

player too...whew    Waynesboro has a pretty good little running back in Bevis and one good receiver

in Kelly...Their defense is pretty average looking to me though.  Other than Rice I can't honestly say they are a very impressive team right now...maybe down the road?  They got a lot of seniors  though.

They weren't very consistent on offense.  They had one good drive at the end of the first  half that

wound up with a Logan Montgomery interception.  In the second half they had one long run and

a hail mary pass that gave them a chance at the end of the game.

I thought the Collinwood coaches did a good job getting the Trojans ready...it appeared they

scouted WC well.  Bevis really took his lumps running the ball, he found a little room running

outside which appears to be  his strong suite.  Collinwood made a huge mistake in going for it

on fourth down with about eight minutes to go.  IMO that decision virtually handed WC their only

TD cause they scored on the second play with a 45 yard run after the failed fourth down attempt.

You got to give your defense a chance and not give up field position like that.  Wood has a really

good punter too.  He was impressive with all his kicks including a long field goal that barely missed.

At the end of the game there Collinwood should have thrown into the endzone or just ran out the 

clock with a couple of running plays.  They really put Boro back in the game with a bad pick that

was totally unnecessary in THAT situation.

Other than that play and the fourth down call the Coaches called a great game. They got a lot of

work to do with their receivers though.  17 catches it well though and 21 could help there I think.

It looks like Norato is the best threat at running back now with all the injuries.  They might want to

consider playing him less on defense so he can keep his legs fresh.  He was really exhausted there

at the end and was kinda playing on one leg with bad cramps...he is a baller though!

Ty Robertson was awesome all night, what a promising freshman...gotta get him some snaps on

offense too...he has great hands.  He made a great pick that would have really crushed the cats but

it was nullified by yet another penalty.

Lots of freshmen and sophomores played for Collinwood, the future is bright.  The seniors showed

a  lot leadership although they are a banged up bunch fer real.  I think we are down to nine

seniors now with some  playing hurt.  I sure hope Ray recovers quick from his problems.

Bowers is missed too.  Of course it hurts to see a great player like Peyton on the sideline...

Is the JV game still on for Monday?  Collinwood can't afford to get many more injuries, their schedule is brutal.  They might want to think about canceling some of those game with so many of the

young guys needed for the prime time games?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ragan has a broken bone in his wrist. His passing out was probably due to that. Hopefully he has no ringer effects. Hes a gamer. If no concussion you can bet he'll play this week. If his coaches let him. Kudos to Waynesboro. What a great ugly game. It ranks up their with the wreath game and the overtime game in the late 80s. The Trojans goal line stand on fourth down was wicked. Good luck to the cats. I keep hearing people say how WC is gonna dominate next three or four years because of young rice. If he doesnt get some line and receivers he'll be mediocre. But you never know. I heard Coach Rice has been looking for a coaching job farther north to get young Rice out of here.

Ragan has a broken bone in his wrist. His passing out was probably due to that. Hopefully he has no ringer effects. Hes a gamer. If no concussion you can bet he'll play this week. If his coaches let him. Kudos to Waynesboro. What a great ugly game. It ranks up their with the wreath game and the overtime game in the late 80s. The Trojans goal line stand on fourth down was wicked. Good luck to the cats. I keep hearing people say how WC is gonna dominate next three or four years because of young rice. If he doesnt get some line and receivers he'll be mediocre. But you never know. I heard Coach Rice has been looking for a coaching job farther north to get young Rice out of here.

He probably should have taken the Giles Co. job when he had a chance. Plenty of athletes there.

After tonights Jv game looks like Cwood's  going to be about as bad maybe a little worse than WC   in the  near future, because they didn't look any  better than a "Mediocre" team tonight! Actually i'll go ahead and say it, they didn't look as good!  WC has a bright future just wait and see!