shot clock

Guest gj85037354

Guest gj85037354

I would like to know when a shot clock will be put into place in Girls and Boys high school basketball. I for one think their needs to be one to get use to playing with one before going on to play in college.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From a fan perspective......I go to the game to watch the kids play not to watch the coaching. One team holding the ball for a minute or so at a time is not real interesting. After watching college or AAU I can find myself being real bored at High School games. Having a shot clock would allow more use of the many zone defenses, also. That would lead to more kids being able to play the game.

Guest gj85037354

I talked with the Hiwassee College mens coach last year and he said you would see a shot clock being used in about two years in high school. I really speeds up the game in girls play. They need to know how to play with one if they are going to play in colleg. And that is the players goal I would hope.

The percentages of girls going to college on basketball scholarships is just not relative to having a shot clock in high school. Games are slowed down because of fouls and turnovers. Teach the fundamentals of the game and it will speed up. Go and see teams that are fundamentally sound and you will not see a need for a shot clock.

No shot clock is needed in the women's college game because the level of play between teams and players of closer. That is not the case in high school. I see nothing wrong with a coach coaching the games in a manner that would allow his teams to stay close and maybe even win against a more talented team. I hope the shot clock never gets in the high school game. If AAU is supposed to be the way for players to showcase their talent on all-star teams in front of college coaches, then let AAU use the clock as a feeder system for college. Leave the high school game alone. ;)

Big Willy, I believe you have it backwards. The Shot clock is the great equalizer between weak teams and strong teams. The shot clock allows the weaker teams to play some zone regardless of the score. It helps them on defense. Weaker teams wouldn't be able to hold the ball over 30 seconds on offense, anyway. No shot clock is definitely more beneficial to the stronger, athletic teams. Zones are much harder to crack than Man-to-Man. But regardless of how boring the game gets, I am not going to attack a zone in High School if I have the lead. Thus is the reason we need a shot clock. [(Amen!)]

Well I know this is gonna fly like a lead balloon, but I say take the clock out of the game at all levels, bring back the time line, get rid of that danged three point arch and if a preschool kid gets to where they can dunk, NEVER NEVER NEVER raise the basket above 10'. How is that for "OLD SCHOOL".

Any "good" coach should know how to use a shot clock and the three-point shot to their teams advantage. With those two areas in the high school game it brings the talent levels to a more equal field and makes the games much better.

If you feel your high school coach is a "great" coach, then they should use the shot clock to benefit there defense and the three-pointer to benefit their offense.

The tradition rich schools don't want that to happen because it makes the games more equal and they might find themselves being "upset" more often.

Guest defygravity

shot clock is something that girls basketball needs. not only would it keep the fans more interested, i think the game overall would be a lot more fun for the players. it will teach kids to play tough defense and there would be immediate rewards for their defense(offense/theball) and it also wouldn't allow teams to hold the ball for obscene amounts of time. I once saw a team hold the ball for an entire quarter and that pretty much just knocked out the crowd. basically the shot clock keeps the game moving and allows everyone to get into it.