CPA hosts Maplewood

sportsnerd

Don't want to upset the CPA folks, but how long before Martin takes over at MBA? I can't see MBA continuing to take a distant back seat to Ensworth. I frankly thought Martin just inherited a good class from the old coach, but with what they did to Giles, I have to credit Martin. I don't know if CPA has the same $ as MBA. Thoughts?

I don't believe CPA fans have anything to worry about. I know coach Martin is very happy at CPA and I don't think he will consider leaving for another high school job. If and when he leaves, it will be for a college head job. CPA is now a much better job than MBA so why leave? CPA can match any offer MBA can make so money is not an issue.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't want to upset the CPA folks, but how long before Martin takes over at MBA? I can't see MBA continuing to take a distant back seat to Ensworth. I frankly thought Martin just inherited a good class from the old coach, but with what they did to Giles, I have to credit Martin. I don't know if CPA has the same $ as MBA. Thoughts?

Ingle has already turned down an offer from one of the big private schools that was probably for more $. Also, MBA seems pretty happy with who they have, but you never know.

Edited by coachrus

Ingle has already turned down an offer from one of the big private schools that was probably for more $. Also, MBA seems pretty happy with who they have, but you never know.

Not trying to stir the pot, but Brentwood Academy has fallen more behind MBA in terms of a desired and quality job in comparison to CPA. The only job in Tennessee similar to CPA would be Ensworth. Coach Martin could consider this if/when Bowers leaves, but I don't see Martin taking a lateral move from CPA to Ensworth. As I said before, I believe the only job Martin will leave is a college position.

Maroon says:

Not trying to stir the pot, but Brentwood Academy has fallen more behind MBA in terms of a desired and quality job in comparison to CPA. The only job in Tennessee similar to CPA would be Ensworth. Coach Martin could consider this if/when Bowers leaves, but I don't see Martin taking a lateral move from CPA to Ensworth. As I said before, I believe the only job Martin will leave is a college position.

I think the whole college position thinking is not as realistic as one would initially think. Unless you are at a big time program,  the role of an assistant in college is a lot harder and pays a lot less than you would think. If you have a young family you can count on very little "home time" with lots of travel. While anything "could" happen, I highly doubt that Coach Martin would leave for a college assistant position. In fact, I would be shocked if he didn't already have standing offers from Coach Lamb at Mercer and from Coach Fowler at Furman. 

Maroon says:

I think the whole college

position thinking is not as realistic as one would initially think. Unless you are at a big time program, the role of an assistant in college is a lot harder and pays a lot less than you would think. If you have a young family you can count on very little "home time" with lots of travel. While anything "could" happen, I highly doubt that Coach Martin would leave for a college assistant position. In fact, I would be shocked if he didn't already have standing offers from Coach Lamb at Mercer and from Coach Fowler at Furman.

I can understand and agree with your logic as far as college coaching goes. My main point is that unless he does leave for a college position, using your logic I don't see him doing that, then I can't see ANY other high school job in TN as good as CPA including MBA, BA and even Ensworth. Therefore I can see him at CPA for a long, long time building a dynasty similar to an Alcoa or Maryville.

A lot (not all) of coaches come to CPA for reasons most people would scoff at or not understand without an inside knowledge of the school. They like the Christian world view curriculum and atmosphere, and they want their children to go to school at a school like CPA so the tuition is an added benefit to their compensation plan. Before you respond, understand that I am not saying CPA is a better school or has perfect people - they don't - but there are few schools (even private ones) that are very strong Biblically based curriculum, especially at CPA's size (most are smaller). The combination of mission statement, curriculum, and outstanding athletics and fine arts is a very attractive thing for many coaches, especially if they have children in the school.