Parallels of 70-80's Maryville and current Riverdale

SwamiSays

Folks, there  has been a lot of badmouthing of Riverdale coaches on another thread. My contention has been and is that the talent is down at Riverdale due to zone changes and new schools being built. Others blame the coach. A simple difference of opinion, no big deal. A Maryville poster even jumped in on the conversation and on my back. No big deal, he was taken care of as well. 

My question is question is this. Does anyone else see parallels between Maryville of the late 70's, a dominant program throughout the 70's with multiple state finals appearances and championships, that suddenly dropped off in the 80's and mid 90's (I will tell you why in a minute) and the Riverdale program that went from a juggernaut program to one that is currently off to a bad start? 

Parallels and the reason Maryville dropped off significantly for a couple of decades;

About 1977 or so Heritage High opened, changes where many of the students go, and football goes downhill at Maryville after 78 championship and 79 finals appearance. Legend coach (Wilson) sees the handwriting on the wall and leaves and head to greener pastures. Maryville football doesnt become truly relevant again for years.

Riverdale dominates the 1990s and early 2000s. County grows exceptionally rapidly and multiple high schools are built over the next few years. Zoning changes. Legend football coach (Rankin) sees the handwriting on the wall and heads for greener pastures. Riverdale football actually stayed relevant for several years, but is currently struggling to start the season.

Questions;

How long will it last at Riverdale? Will it take as long as it took Maryville? With so many more schools in Rutherford County, will Riverdale ever be back? I think they can and will, but you never know because things are so different in Rutherford county now.

And for those that like to blame the coaches, take note that I just gave you historical evidence from one of the greatest programs, past and present, where the exact same type zoning change/building of new schools and watering down of talent caused the program to go through a less fruitful period and that was from opening 1 school only. 

You really are an attention ho ain't ya ... Took care Of me , hilarious . I exposed you for the hypocrite that you are , trying to take morale high ground defending riverdale coach , but then you accused Maryville of cheating . Wow , what a clown

This is a really good topic for discussion. I read through the exchange on the other thread, and Swami put you in your place and didn't drop to your maturity level or call names. I don't see anything inaccurate in the other thread, or anything he poses in this thread. 

Folks, there  has been a lot of badmouthing of Riverdale coaches on another thread. My contention has been and is that the talent is down at Riverdale due to zone changes and new schools being built. Others blame the coach. A simple difference of opinion, no big deal. A Maryville poster even jumped in on the conversation and on my back. No big deal, he was taken care of as well. 

My question is question is this. Does anyone else see parallels between Maryville of the late 70's, a dominant program throughout the 70's with multiple state finals appearances and championships, that suddenly dropped off in the 80's and mid 90's (I will tell you why in a minute) and the Riverdale program that went from a juggernaut program to one that is currently off to a bad start? 

Parallels and the reason Maryville dropped off significantly for a couple of decades;

About 1977 or so Heritage High opened, changes where many of the students go, and football goes downhill at Maryville after 78 championship and 79 finals appearance. Legend coach (Wilson) sees the handwriting on the wall and leaves and head to greener pastures. Maryville football doesnt become truly relevant again for years.

Riverdale dominates the 1990s and early 2000s. County grows exceptionally rapidly and multiple high schools are built over the next few years. Zoning changes. Legend football coach (Rankin) sees the handwriting on the wall and heads for greener pastures. Riverdale football actually stayed relevant for several years, but is currently struggling to start the season.

Questions;

How long will it last at Riverdale? Will it take as long as it took Maryville? With so many more schools in Rutherford County, will Riverdale ever be back? I think they can and will, but you never know because things are so different in Rutherford county now.

And for those that like to blame the coaches, take note that I just gave you historical evidence from one of the greatest programs, past and present, where the exact same type zoning change/building of new schools and watering down of talent caused the program to go through a less fruitful period and that was from opening 1 school only. 

Not only did Heritage open in 77 ... another new Blount County school (William Blount) opened in 79.  WB was/is even bigger than Heritage.  One difference I see, neither of the Blount County comprehensive schools were opened as a response to an influx of new people in the area, but rather they replaced several smaller high schools that were already operating in the county.  I don't think either Heritage or William Blount "changed where many of the students went" in the city of Maryville.  I'm not aware of these new schools in the county affecting any zoning situations for Maryville city.  So while your theory about Riverdale may be correct, I do not think your comparison with Maryville is a sound one.

Questions;

One word: George Quarles! :popcorneater:

This is a really good topic for discussion. I read through the exchange on the other thread, and Swami put you in your place and didn't drop to your maturity level or call names. I don't see anything inaccurate in the other thread, or anything he poses in this thread.

Oh really ? So you had no problem with him saying Maryville provides housing for special players , or how we bend the rules ... So in other words you enjoyed him calling Maryville cheaters and that our boys didn't earn what they have by hard work , but by cheating ? I'll give coach Aydelott credit , he has some very loyal backers who will stop at nothing to see he is never fired

Not only did Heritage open in 77 ... another new Blount County school (William Blount) opened in 79.  WB was/is even bigger than Heritage.  One difference I see, neither of the Blount County comprehensive schools were opened as a response to an influx of new people in the area, but rather they replaced several smaller high schools that were already operating in the county.  I don't think either Heritage or William Blount "changed where many of the students went" in the city of Maryville.  I'm not aware of these new schools in the county affecting any zoning situations for Maryville city.  So while your theory about Riverdale may be correct, I do not think your comparison with Maryville is a sound one.

Finally and hopefully a rational and lucid poster. Thank you! 

Follow up question. What schools did they close to open the new high schools?