11AA thoughts

bulldog3509

And I don't mean to point fingers or anything, but what else could it be

Central has a solid coaching staff. Tomlinson is a coach players like, and had success as OC at Creek Wood. The problem with Central is inexperience. This team is very young on both sides of the ball. They don't have the talent as the upper echelon of the district does, but if you have seen the way Central plays, they play hard from start to finish.

Also, look at the teams they have played so far: Clarksville Academy, Harpeth, Camden, Hickman, and Fairview. Those teams are combined 18-5, so it's not like they've had easy games.

They have Waverly, Stewart, Creek Wood, East Hickman, and Lewis remaining. Those five teams are a combined 12-9. Definitely an easier second half. I think two or three of those match-ups are winnable for Central. We'll see.

Central has a solid coaching staff. Tomlinson is a coach players like, and had success as OC at Creek Wood. The problem with Central is inexperience. This team is very young on both sides of the ball. They don't have the talent as the upper echelon of the district does, but if you have seen the way Central plays, they play hard from start to finish.

Also, look at the teams they have played so far: Clarksville Academy, Harpeth, Camden, Hickman, and Fairview. Those teams are combined 18-5, so it's not like they've had easy games.

They have Waverly, Stewart, Creek Wood, East Hickman, and Lewis remaining. Those five teams are a combined 12-9. Definitely an easier second half. I think two or three of those match-ups are winnable for Central. We'll see.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying it is coaching. Idk much about the program, that's just the way it'd seem from the outside looking in.

Coach Tomlinson is a good coach. Very intense guy that loves the game and his players. Everyone keeps saying that this MC squad never gives up and is always fighting. That was not the case before Coach T got there. If you got up on MC 3 years ago you knew it was over. It's a new coach bringing in a totally different offense that these kids have never ran before, so it is going to take some time.  

One of the things that's specific to Montgomery County is that they don't play anyone outside of the county in middle school.  I'm not 100% sure that Central has a middle school football program, but I would assume that they do.  They haven't been very good in high school football for a long time and there are athletes walking the hallways.  They've put quality baseball teams on the field and good basketball teams on the hardwood.  I've always thought they could get in done in football with the right guy.

In regard to Montgomery Central I agree it seems as if they have athletes, but then again if you look at their basketball and football programs the past 10 years & they have both been pathetic. This will be the 10th losing season out of the past 11 for football while basketball has had 9 losing seasons in a row. It's not just losing seasons, but usually not even close to the .500 mark. They play Waverly this Friday and Waverly is in the same boat. After this year Waverly will have had losing football seasons in 10 of the past 11 years. That's two pretty bad football programs, but at least one of them will get a win this Friday. Maybe both schools can get their programs turned around in the future.

Coach Tomlinson is a good coach. Very intense guy that loves the game and his players. Everyone keeps saying that this MC squad never gives up and is always fighting. That was not the case before Coach T got there. If you got up on MC 3 years ago you knew it was over. It's a new coach bringing in a totally different offense that these kids have never ran before, so it is going to take some time.  

Ok...I havent made a post since my son graduated from Central 3 years ago. But since putboobieincoach made his comment about kids giving up, i've got to speak my piece. Bragg was the head coach then and my son's last two years they were over .500 each season. Several of the games that they did lose were only by 2-3 points his senior year (including camden, creekwood, at stewart co). His Junior year (4 years ago), Central went 6-4 and made the playoffs. Of those 4 games they lost, 3 was by less than a touchdown. That year, we beat up on East Hickman so bad, the coach told us 'that they couldn't compete with central and didn't want to be on our schedule anymore'. This year, E. Hickman's back on the schedule and won big. My son's central team ran the wing t on offense and a 3-4 on defense in which they averaged holding teams to around 12 points per game. By the way, the old head coach was only there for 3 years and by year 2, we were in the playoffs. That was coming into a central team who hadn't won a game in 4 years prior to him getting there. He brought a brand new offense and defense. The kids responded and they won games. So the time excuse doesn't impress me one bit. If anything, the new coach and his staff have it alot easier than Bragg did when he got there and therefore, should be further ahead. The past two years, central has averaged getting out scored at least 35 points per game. That, to me, isn't playing hard at all for the talent that they supposedly have. Thats getting the slaughter rule enstated almost every game (FOR TWO YEARS STRAIGHT!). I don't think central has even scored more than 28 points total last season. IDK who Coach Thomlinson retained from Bragg's old staff, but if the kids are athletic, big and playing hard, then it has to be the coaches. At this point, I don't think focusing on wins is a realistic goal for this team. The focus should be to just make the games NOT get out of hand each week and attempt to score around 14-18 points per game. I don't want to give the impression that I'm not routing for Central or the Coach Tomlinson. He was very successfull at Creekwood as a Coordinator. But in this industry, it's what you've done lately. Just giving some facts that have obviously been overlooked.

Yeah, what happened to Coach Bragg?  I had forgotten about them making the playoffs, but they were pretty competitive while he was there.

He moved back to Knoxville to be closer to his kids. He also got into some trouble with a student at Montgomery Central towards the end of last year. He got a slap on the wrist. My son still talks to him. I think he's completely gotten out of coaching and doing real estate and pharmisutical sales making mid 6 figures. The kids really loved playing for him. But you're right, they were competitive each of his years there. That was my whole point in my last message. Central should be in a lot better position once the new coach took over. The expectation to win was there from both the coaches and the kids 3 years ago. I'm not sure what is happening now to the program, but it is very disappointing to see the scores each week. I do think that Waverly is a winnable game for Central. I looked at the rest of their schedule and with the exception of Waverly, I'm not sure there's anyone else that I can comfortably say, they can beat. None-the-less, Go Indians!