The Argument -54 rushes in a game by 1 guy-is that too much?

notredame66

Beech HS D.Carter 54 rushes for 305 yards in a 28-21 win over Indy ....been some debate , is 54 attempts by one kid too much ? Is the coach putting him at risk?

Carter 54 carries

Beech Team 13 carries

Beech Passing 0-3

Some say that the workload last year took its toll on Jalen Hurd

Me, well Crabtree has 2 Gold Balls in the trophy case so I can't doubt him BUT he has a few other running backs that could start for most teams....

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beech HS D.Carter 54 rushes for 305 yards in a 28-21 win over Indy ....been some debate , is 54 attempts by one kid too much ? Is the coach putting him at risk?

Carter 54 carries

Beech Team 13 carries

Beech Passing 0-3

Some say that the workload last year took its toll on Jalen Hurd

Me, well Crabtree has 2 Gold Balls in the trophy case so I can't doubt him BUT he has a few other running backs that could start for most teams....

I understand the concern, but I look at this this way.............

Fans, Boosters, Alums, Students put an insane amount of pressure for a coach to win at all costs, yet those same people are going to get mad when a coach does exactly that? Willing to bet Beech fans would rather take the win with 54 carries than take the loss with 40 carries. Beech was playing in a game that everybody knew they were a little bit of a underdog. Independence's weakness is on the line, Crabtree took advantage of that. Could he have gave a few carries to someone else last night? Yes, but when your a Coach, you get so zoned into the game that you forget about the other outside factors. I severely doubt Dorian Carter will get this kind of workload as the year goes on

Spare us the argument...seems to be alot of Beech experts lately...send resumes to Anthony Crabtree!!

It's not an argument, 54 carries is too many. Nothing about being a Beech expert and I honestly think Anthony Crabtree is a great coach. That's why I don't understand it. I can't recall one player carrying the ball on 77% of their teams plays. No argument. Too many carries. Too many hits.

First the application comment. Then TSSAA and finally Little League. These boards are for opinions, yet we always have someone that wants to our smart comments. I am typically ok with differing opinions, but this is a bit different. One, the belittling really isn't necessary. Two, this to me is of concern to health. Turns out he is fine and with substantial rest this should have no effect. That said, there is no way anyone could sustain that type work very long. It is too much.

Even as a Beech fan, I very much agree that it was too many carries. There were a couple of games that Hurd took a lot of carries (30+) last year, but nothing close to that number.

The problem that I have with it is because there are actually other viable options to run the ball on our team. Hawkins averaged the same ypc as Carter and to not use Van Zant at all makes no sense to me. Ok, he was out for a few days this past week due to a death. He was still there Friday night and the offensive scheme is the same it's been all season.

I doubt that will happen again though. At least I hope that it doesn't.

Edited by Vol74

Did Carter receive any medical attention last night on the sidelines?  (I do not know, I wasn't there)

Was/Is Indy very physical defensively?

Did/Does Carter play any on defense?

Of the 53 touches, how many times was Indy making contact with him? (direct/hard contact)

Are not all of these questions that must be considered before saying...."53 carries is too many!?"

Point being....there's more to consider than the number of times his number is called!  Further, If I'm coaching the Yankees....and I drag bunt every time a Yankee is at the plate....and the opposition can't make a play to defend it....guess what....they are getting drag bunted to death until they can stop me.....no different in high school football....

again...don't really understand the uproar....no one was injured....and if like most teams at this level....the player can sub himself out of the game after each play if/when he needs a rest....I know that's how Crabtree's teams are run....I've seen it.....