Unsettled business at the Rockpile Gordonsville at Motown

Mr. Postman1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would stop short of calling last year's team our best ever.

Our teams in the 80's accomplished quite a bit in the 3 class system that competed against privates without a multiplier and bigger schools and D2 wasn't around.

I would say the the 83, 84, 86, and 87 teams were better. Oldtiger55 can probably be more accurate with those years.

I look for this year's team to be 5-5 or 6-4, and a slim chance at 7-3.

Alot of that depends on the senior and junior leadership.

I think we should have a better team next year.

I would not be surprised with a win for either team this week.

Hoping for a Gville win, but it will be extremely tough.

You ain't getting me to stick my head in the nooses on this one Croz!!  Actually there's been very good teams stretched out over the years looking at bottom line 1984 and 2012 gotta be 1--2.  I do know there was a team from the late 70's that went undefeated but couldn't go to playoffs because of probation, might have been Moose and Jackie's Senior year but can't remember as I was in Kindergarten when they were Seniors.

As far as this game I really don't know. If the Tigers stand up and play like they can should be a good game that might drop either way. 

Now as can't say a lot about this Westmoreland team because I ain't seen em.  I hear some chatter though and if they are then they might make a good run into the playoffs. Just my opinion but  the talk of this years Eagles being the best ever is probably stretched a little bit.  They said the same thing when Clint Brown was there and it wasn't true.  This is fact the Eagles during the years Croz listed had some teams that would have wiped the floor with those Clint Brown led teams. Those teams during those years were good teams but Brown made them look very good! Posty, he's a fan and all programs have those "SPECIAL" fans and it's great they do!  Hey support your team but football is football and life is life.  Croz is healing up and I guarantee you there are few who support the Tigers like he does.

Its hard to tell what team would be best all-time for any team. Most people I've talked to said that last years Gordonsville bunch was the best they ever had. Westmorelands best team would be 1977 by some folks you talk to, 1980 by others 86 by a lot and some would say the Clint brown years some would even throw the Derrick Gregory years in when we were playing David Lipscomb and Goodpasture in our district in the late 90 s early 2000. I know during the Bown years which is when I played we did play pretty soft competition in our REGION at that time. We didn't lose a region game and was for the most part not even challenged for 3 years there. However, we played Goodpasture, Portland, Gordonsville, and last but not least the sweat bees of Hartsville. One of those sweat bee teams was considered to be one of the best and won a state championship. I think we won that game 27 to 7. Gordonsville did play us very tough that year. It was our homecoming that wound up 21 to 14. Clint Brown played that year as a sophomore, but the star of that team was considered to be Scotty Madison the fullback. I feel that could be considered the best team ever at Westmoreland but some would argue that point. There has been 2 undefeated seasons and that team I described in the 93 season was 1 of them the other was 1977. I'm hoping by season end this will be considered the best in Westmoreland history. Time will tell. the playoffs loom and we would have some very stiff competition in 3A. If we counted our students now we would be playing 2A ball and I would like our chances winning it all. Seems thats always how it goes for us. Many years in the past we have have less than 10 kids too many and have ironically wound up beating the easer division state champ handily in regular season. just look back at 91 93 and a couple others.

I heard today that Co Marshall benched #22 for us earlier in the week for apparent attitude issues. Maybe Coach Moose has already threw in the chips this week and is focusing on Watertown. Also heard that Drew Hamlet has rejoined the team. To put it in perspective, he started at free safety as a freshman way back in 2010 at South Pittsburg for a banged up Chaz Smith. He was starting at free safety his sophomore year (semifinal team) but was pulled out of school and homeschooled after the jamboree. Hopefully he can get eligible and play later in the year. Would be a help in my opinion.

I heard today that Co Marshall benched #22 for us earlier in the week for apparent attitude issues. Maybe Coach Moose has already threw in the chips this week and is focusing on Watertown. Also heard that Drew Hamlet has rejoined the team. To put it in perspective, he started at free safety as a freshman way back in 2010 at South Pittsburg for a banged up Chaz Smith. He was starting at free safety his sophomore year (semifinal team) but was pulled out of school and homeschooled after the jamboree. Hopefully he can get eligible and play later in the year. Would be a help in my opinion.

Drew would be the starting QB right now if it hadn't been for the other circumstances.

He would've started at receiver last year. I don't know why he wouldn't be eligible. He hasn't played anywhere else.

I watched a few minutes of practice today, and they aren't throwing in the chips for this week.

I look for it to be a competitive game Friday.

With a break here and there, we can win, same goes for Westy.

By the way Gordonsville fans. I was looking over the high school football data base at scores and there was 1 for Gordonsville that just had an L for Gordonsville and a W for Westmoreland in the 95 season. I can complete that score if you want. It was 45 to 0 Westmoreland. I just thought it would make your historical records more complete to have that on there. For some reason it shows up on Westmorelands.

You ain't getting me to stick my head in the nooses on this one Croz!!  Actually there's been very good teams stretched out over the years looking at bottom line 1984 and 2012 gotta be 1--2.  I do know there was a team from the late 70's that went undefeated but couldn't go to playoffs because of probation, might have been Moose and Jackie's Senior year but can't remember as I was in Kindergarten when they were Seniors.

As far as this game I really don't know. If the Tigers stand up and play like they can should be a good game that might drop either way. 

Now as can't say a lot about this Westmoreland team because I ain't seen em.  I hear some chatter though and if they are then they might make a good run into the playoffs. Just my opinion but  the talk of this years Eagles being the best ever is probably stretched a little bit.  They said the same thing when Clint Brown was there and it wasn't true.  This is fact the Eagles during the years Croz listed had some teams that would have wiped the floor with those Clint Brown led teams. Those teams during those years were good teams but Brown made them look very good! Posty, he's a fan and all programs have those "SPECIAL" fans and it's great they do!  Hey support your team but football is football and life is life.  Croz is healing up and I guarantee you there are few who support the Tigers like he does.

I guess you put last year's team at #2 because of the championship, but I think the teams from the 80's that made deep runs would've beaten them. But, that is complete speculation.