9AA TALK 2013-14

BIGROB1970

Cheatham defeats Kenwood tonight by a 78-64 margin. Best defense I have seen all year from the Cubs. Wesley Harlan was dynamite tonight with 27 points. Saunders had 20 and made Norl work for everything he got. Darden had 14 with a couple of jams. Douglas was outstanding again with 9 points and was a beast on the glass. Boyd set the tone with a first quarter posterization. Cubs now 12-0 heading into the meat of district play. This team is dangerous and can go a long way. I still say they are capable of beating anyone including the defending champs. Good luck to Kenwood the rest of the way- they have to be considered the favorite in 10aaa.

Cheatham's defense had a lot to do with Kenwood looking out of sync. Saunders hounded Norl all over the floor all night. Nothing came easy. Douglas did a great job on the much bigger Rivers after Darden got into foul trouble. Kenwood shot it well though as they connected on 5 1st half triples and 9 on the game to keep it close. Harlan was totally unstoppable both on the drive and from the perimeter. This Cubs team is a veteran bunch that seems to elevate their game when they know they are going to be challenged. Their best games have come against their toughest competition this year. Last night was one of those nights.

Norl is used to being face guarded to the point where he has to fight just to touch the ball that has happened all season. Saunders and CC did nothing that he hasn't seen before. In fact I thought CC defense was very average. Norl got the ball without being contested all night. But they did a good job of closing gaps once he passed his defender or split the defense. Better then most

They were out of sync because they ran no offensive sets a lot of times it look like they were out there playing a pickup game. Kenwood Is better then that. I'm not sure what your comparing there shooting too but I felt it was a very poor shooting night for kenwood and there defense was as bad as I've seen it for two years.

Is Harlen #20 if so your spot on about that he was completely unstoppable. Every shot he put up was contested and he drained it. I think he only missed 2 shots He is a big reason for there win. He was really excited after every shot which made it feel like he was out of character. Seemed like a career night for him. I'm curious to know if he usually plays that consistent.

With all being said theres no arguing that last night CC was the better team and #20 was the best player on the floor. When a player gets it going like that. As a basketball fan you just have to enjoy the show regardless of what side of the court your sitting on.

Harlan is #20. He usually scores in the 15 -17 range, so scoring was up. He was shooting lights out. He is the floor general, when he fouled out against Harpeth , Cheatham struggled somewhat with their pressure. He will play a huge role in how far the cubs go...he is part of the big four as Mumbletype has stated. Haven't seen south side yet, but Haywood hasn't lost yet and waverly is 15 and 1 and playing solid. I agree that Cheatham plays better when competition is up which is a good thing for post season..can't wait for tournament time.

The fact that Kenwood hit 9 3's tells me they shot it pretty well. Not sure how many they average on the season, but my guess is it is close to half that number. Cubs did a good job of cutting off driving lanes and were giving the 3 to all but Norl for the most part and Knights knocked down more than a few. Norl is an outstanding player and Rivers can create matchup problems, but overall I don't think this Kenwood team is nearly as athletic as the last couple of years and it shows up on the defensive end. I do think that they have a chance to play longer into March this year with those senior leaders though.  Harlan is #20 and I haven't seen anyone who could keep him out of the lane all year. He, Saunders, and Darden all are emotional players and feed off of each other. Boyd played well last night after getting hurt in xmas tourney and Douglas is really coming on. CPA is probably more than just a notch better than anybody in aa in the state, and Southside clearly has the talent to beat anyone. Cubs are capable of beating both on a given night even though they would certainly be a decent sized underdog vs either. On another note, maybe Cheatham will at least move into the honorable mention category of the midstate top 10 in the Thinassean after moving to 12-0 - what an absolute  joke that poll is. It is about time people start to take note of this team because they have earned it on the floor! 

Mumble, I just went over tape they did have 9 threes but on 24 attempts (37%) the game before that against south Fulton they also had 9 three on 15 attempts (60%). In fact yesterday was there second worst shooting performance this season and if you take into consideration the abysmal 45% from the line it would be there worst overall. There defense was worst then there offense. They earned that L