Sycamore (1-4) @ Cheatham (1-4)

carefulwhatuwishfor

Right.  W's get you in.  Fairview did that exact thing a few years back.  I think they were 0-5 to start the season and then finished 5-0.

To me, I think Sycamore's magic number is 4 more wins to be safe.  Right now there are 21 teams in 4A that already have 4 or more W's and another 8 sitting on 3 with 4 or 5 games left to play.  There's 32 spots.

Edited by ksgovols

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe these teams are where they are from a won/loss record. I knew CC would be hard presses to repeat what they did last year, but what's up with the record? And Sycamore, what's going on here? If I am correct they have a really good transfer from Goodpasture I believe, is he playing? Why did he leave? Does Sycamore have an injury issue this year?

I can't believe these teams are where they are from a won/loss record. I knew CC would be hard presses to repeat what they did last year, but what's up with the record? And Sycamore, what's going on here? If I am correct they have a really good transfer from Goodpasture I believe, is he playing? Why did he leave? Does Sycamore have an injury issue this year?

No injury issue.  They lost most of the line, but, have had pretty good kids step up, although they are a little undersized.  With the sophomore transfer, they have as good or better set of skilled players than they have had in a while.  They have played well for four and a half of the five games.  

The first loss to a very good Trousdale County team came in double OT (after a last minute regulation extra point was blocked).  

The second loss was to a good Westmoreland team in OT after they missed an extra point, a FG from the eight yd line and a FG from the 30 yd line in regulation.  

The third loss to White House in regulation came from a very close game that Sycamore could not capitalize and had some bad breaks (also missed a 36 yd FG in the last few minutes to send to OT).  

The fourth game with Smyrna was tied at 14 at the half.  After that, Sycamore was out of gas and Smyrna was just too much.

The team has very good coaching and great senior leadership.  I look forward to the second half of the season.  These guys are down, but, definitely not out.............

No injury issue.  They lost most of the line, but, have had pretty good kids step up, although they are a little undersized.  With the sophomore transfer, they have as good or better set of skilled players than they have had in a while.  They have played well for four and a half of the five games.  

The first loss to a very good Trousdale County team came in double OT (after a last minute regulation extra point was blocked).  

The second loss was to a good Westmoreland team in OT after they missed an extra point, a FG from the eight yd line and a FG from the 30 yd line in regulation.  

The third loss to White House in regulation came from a very close game that Sycamore could not capitalize and had some bad breaks (also missed a 36 yd FG in the last few minutes to send to OT).  

The fourth game with Smyrna was tied at 14 at the half.  After that, Sycamore was out of gas and Smyrna was just too much.

The team has very good coaching and great senior leadership.  I look forward to the second half of the season.  These guys are down, but, definitely not out.............

To add to clancy's post. The "transfer from goodpasture" is a Pleasant View kid, that went to Goodpasture for 1 semester and came back. The grass isn't always greener

The Cubs are now 2-4 and thinking "playoffs" after beating Sycamore soundly last night. The Cubs have 2 very winnable games against Clarksville Academy and White House-Heritage coming up. They will have to win 1 of 2 against Westmoreland and White House but it isn't impossible. I hope the boys pull together after an emotional win and make a playoff push. Go Cubs!

When the teams are listed 1 thru 32 on the TSSAA website for playoff seeding and the 20 some odd tie breakers are worked out, all of the teams with 10 wins are the first ones to make it in.  Then the teams with 9 wins, then 8, then 7 and so on.  If the strength of schedule ever comes into play, it's after # of W's.  Simple math.  Then the number of wins against teams that won 50% of their games and wins against teams from higher classifications come into play. AFTER number of W's which is the very first criteria.  That's for getting in.

You have to get into the playoffs before those tough losses to really good teams ever benefit your team.  It's a double edged sword the way we do it now.  It's the reason that some of the really good teams have to schedule games out of state or why some of the weaker sisters will play 'games for pay'.

In the old days you could schedule Alcoa, Maryville and Riverdale out of conference and if you finished in the top 4 in your region according to the standings amongst your peer, you're in.  Scheduling was easier then and you didn't penalize your team for playing tough teams.  Now......you do.  It's not rocket science.  If a team with 3 wins gets in, it is because they have a stronger schedule than every other team with 3 wins, but make no mistake about it, EVERY team with 4 wins is in before they are not to mention the ones with 5 or greater.

No disrespect is intended, but I must disagree with you.  According to the rules set by the TSSAA, district champls and district runner-ups are the first to be given playoff spots regardless of record.  They are seeded ahead of teams with better records oftentimes. 

Edited by BIGPURPLEMACHINE

Not talking about seeding. Talking about getting in. By definition the top 2 teams will have the minimum number of wins by beating everyone else in their district. I don't think there's been a 3 win team get in through this method in 3A. Not sure about 4A. Getting in is number of wins. If there's a district champion or runner-up, they will be seeded higher than other teams with more W's but they are going to have at least 4 wins historically.

Not talking about seeding. Talking about getting in. By definition the top 2 teams will have the minimum number of wins by beating everyone else in their district. I don't think there's been a 3 win team get in through this method in 3A. Not sure about 4A. Getting in is number of wins. If there's a district champion or runner-up, they will be seeded higher than other teams with more W's but they are going to have at least 4 wins historically.

Lewis Co. got in a couple of years ago at 3-7 in 3A.  I am not talking about seeding either.  District champs and district runner-ups get gauaranteed playoff births.  Then when they go to seed the brackets that get seeded first.  Number of wins matters on down the list of criteria. 

I'll give you a good example, a few years ago Dresden did not make the playoffs at 7-3.  Other teams made it with worse records because they were district champs or runner-ups.  Granted that was a extremely rare situation..... the possibility still lies out there because of the rules TSSAA has set forth. 

4 wins will get them knocking if not in. Beating White House or Westmoreland is a tall order.

I will go out on a limb and say that the Cubs will win their next 2 games and enter Week Nine with a 4-4 overall mark. Clarksville Academy has been killed with injuries and White House-Heritage is a game that the Cubs could (and should) win. If the old guys can get it together and buy into the new coaching staff then they'll be dangerous because they do have good players who are game changers (I.e. Presley, Sweatt, and Wood).

Whoa! Didn't expect this.

You and no one else.  The Cubs played a great game with a lot of heart and intensity.  I do hope that Sycamore is done with surprises.  On the third play of the game when #22 Baker went down it was bad.  He planted to cut and his femur snapped.  Not fractured, but, completely broken into,  For the next 25 to 30 minutes the Sycamore boys had to listen and watch him in agonizing pain while they prepared him for transport.  After this, they were done.  I would never take anything away from the Cubs, as I said they played great, but, I'm not sure that the War Eagles could have beaten anyone on Friday.  #22 has gone through successful surgery, is in good spirits, and is on his way to a long recovery.