William Blount Football- is it ever going to get any better

Governm

No knock on you or any of the coaching staff but you MUST allow the new coach to bring in ALL of his people including a strength coach.  You cannot tell them who to hire.  Give a new coach enough rope and resources to be successful or hang themselves.

Coach Ridge did bring his own strength coach. From what I'm told he didn't get to pick all of the rest of his staff.

No knock on you or any of the coaching staff but you MUST allow the new coach to bring in ALL of his people including a strength coach.  You cannot tell them who to hire.  Give a new coach enough rope and resources to be successful or hang themselves.

Coach Ridge did bring his own strength coach. From what I'm told he didn't get to pick all of the rest of his staff.

The program has been bad for who knows how many years and the school system forces a new head coach to use coaches in the building that have never won?  That sounds like a great way to build a winning program.  Why would anyone want to be the head coach at WB?  If WB wants to ever compete with Maryville & Alcoa for football players in Blount County they must make a full commitment to having a successful program. 

The program has been bad for who knows how many years and the school system forces a new head coach to use coaches in the building that have never won? That sounds like a great way to build a winning program. Why would anyone want to be the head coach at WB? If WB wants to ever compete with Maryville & Alcoa for football players in Blount County they must make a full commitment to having a successful program.

They haven't had a winning season since 2007. The Govs days of winning went away with meadows when he left. Before the 2008 season the Govs had finished atleast 5-5 or better every season since 1997 with the exception of 2003, which was meadows first season.

cbg- I was always told not to mix wrestling with the football players because in wrestling the players need to be lean and fit. But actually it makes sense if not actually going to wrestle for the school. It teaches balance, upper body strength, and footwork. I already believe we have a good strength coach. We really need a receivers coach. The few balls we do get in their hands, they drop most of them. One of the receivers playing DB last night dropped an easy (imo) int or even a pick 6. Also has anybody noticed that some of our defense is still tackling at the shoulders? Need to get back to basics on that one. Stop the legs and you stop forward progress. Try to tackle Otis by the shoulders and he will take you for a 20yd ride. Better than Bronco bustin.

Coach Ridge has always preferred wrestlers on the field.I know for a fact college coaches love wrestlers who play football.Think about it,they know leverage and have good stamina.

I agree with all the above. But if I am the head coach I do something different about the offense play calling. Lenoir city had 10 players in box several times last night and you still try running the ball. You don't have to be a good coach to figure out that it will not work. Also you take the qb out and don't put him in until the final mins. I know he had 3 picks last week but still. Ridge is the one who has to answer for the win lose record not the assistant coaches. Its on him. By the way I think he got the strength coach he wanted but that is the last of there problems.

If you have coach Barber and Evans they came with him,but are not very good coaches great guys but not very good at the positions they coach.That is if they are there.

He brought a few with him but I'm not sure. My biggest fault is with play calling on offense and the overall discipline of the team. If you watched practice you would know what I'm talking about. You see the better players get away with anything they want. The coaches don't do anything about it.

He brought a few with him but I'm not sure. My biggest fault is with play calling on offense and the overall discipline of the team. If you watched practice you would know what I'm talking about.

You see the better players get away with anything

they want. The coaches don't do anything about

it.

I haven't seen many practices but that doesn't suprise me. A lack of discipline has been the Govs main problem for years. If you look at maryville they are the epitome of disciplined football, they don't make mistakes and they work extremely hard. Why don't more coaching staffs and teams put that into practice?

If you have coach Barber and Evans they came with him,but are not very good coaches great guys but not very good at the positions they coach.That is if they are there.

Coach Barber is there, OL coach.  I wondered where he came from, didn't realize he was at GB.  I don't think there is a Coach Evans on staff.  What did he coach?

I don't understand it either. I would promise you if quarles players done some of things they do they would be in hot water. That's one thing about Maryville they are all equal in the way they treat players no matter who they are. People will disagree with that but it is the truth.

He brought a few with him but I'm not sure. My biggest fault is with play calling on offense and the overall discipline of the team. If you watched practice you would know what I'm talking about. You see the better players get away with anything they want. The coaches don't do anything about it.

I think it is clear that the OC is in over his head at this point.....and the things I see that drive me nuts, are: 1. kids that don't come to practice, but yet play on Friday night.  If you are injured and can't practice, that is fine, but still come to practice and be there to go over game planning.  2. Guys that are supposedly injured, and instead of paying attention to what is going on, they are always 50 yards away from practice playing pass and catch with another supposedly injured player.  I saw a Senior the other day, and he supposedly couldn't practice because he had gotten a shot earlier in the day, but yet he could come out and run around and play pass and catch with another kid for two hours, so why couldn't he practice?  3.  The amount of kids on the sidelines on their knees doing nothing for 2 hours.  With the amount of coaches they have, you have to find something for those kids to do.  Keep the ones you want, and make sure they get some reps, but send the rest with a coach to do something.......

• Upvote 1