2A Memphis Mitchell..... Look Out!

Intense

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if we wre a 1 or 2 school county we would not have that problem. Yes we have open enrollment for kid leaving middle school. Sorry you do not like it. The parents choose to bring their kids here, but from now on in honor of you devilfanatic we will tell the parents no thanks.

You can make fun of my post all you want but the fact is TSSAA lets Memphis play by a different set of rules. When you're in a rural setting it is county but when you're in a metropolitan area of the state you are zoned in any other city. Its an unfair advantage and you know it. If you're going to have open enrollment in one city then it needs to be that way in ever city. Why not just have it state wide, one state championship and may the best team and coach win. Everyone talks about how dominant Memphis is, well when you have 1 million kids to choose from its not hard to win.

You can make fun of my post all you want but the fact is TSSAA lets Memphis play by a different set of rules. When you're in a rural setting it is county but when you're in a metropolitan area of the state you are zoned in any other city. Its an unfair advantage and you know it. If you're going to have open enrollment in one city then it needs to be that way in ever city. Why not just have it state wide, one state championship and may the best team and coach win. Everyone talks about how dominant Memphis is, well when you have 1 million kids to choose from its not hard to win.

Alcoa and Maryville have been winning state championships for decades using the "open zoning model". Last year Beech joined in the fun. I agree that it is unfair to schools that are traditionally zoned, but at this point I am not sure that there is anything you can do about it, since most of the D1 champions seem to come from the open zoning concept. It would not affect Maryville, but perhaps a multiplier (as applied to the D1 privates) would be appropriate?

Devilfanatic I feel parents should have the option on enrolling thier children in the best school for their child. The top 6 schools in Memphis that had the most open enrollment transfers White Station, Ridgeway, Whitehaven, Mitchell, Overton and Southwind are not on the state takeover list. That is the reason most parents take advantage of this.

Devilfanatic I feel parents should have the option on enrolling thier children in the best school for their child. The top 6 schools in Memphis that had the most open enrollment transfers White Station, Ridgeway, Whitehaven, Mitchell, Overton and Southwind are not on the state takeover list. That is the reason most parents take advantage of this.

Galilee, I wholeheartedly agree with Redrobin. There should be a multiplier on the public schools that have open enrollment. Example, Mitchell has 530 students according to the last TSSAA reclassification. TCA has 235. We are hit with a 1.8 multiplier. Mitchell has 535 students and who knows how many of those came to Mitchell out of zone. How can a small school like TCA, Clarksburg, Greenfield, etc compete with a school that has 2.5x the students? We have to assume some of those came by choice due to athletics, etc. There is no way that is fair. Madison Coumty is now open zone as well and I think they should be hit with the multiplier. You will see one or two dominant schools in Madison County in the next two years. It will probably be Liberty and Southside. Mitchell will probably have an allstar AAU team on the basketball floor. How in the world can the Greenfield's, Halls, and Scott's Hills of the world compete? It's simple. They can't. When Mitchell plays against other schools who have an open enrollment environment(CPA) they typically have a competitive game. I'm using Mitchell as an example since they are 2A. Same could be said about Ridgeway, Southwind, etc. TSSAA needs to correct this ASAP!!!

What you all are saying does make sense. TCA has a big advantage also. You all can decide which stuents you allow to enroll in your school. If a child lives in our district we must take them. LIke you aid about Mitchell, their are some students enrolled at TCA because of athletics. Any public school an can make an argument but private schools.

What you all are saying does make sense. TCA has a big advantage also. You all can decide which stuents you allow to enroll in your school. If a child lives in our district we must take them. LIke you aid about Mitchell, their are some students enrolled at TCA because of athletics. Any public school an can make an argument but private schools.

Yes but they have to pay to attend which narrows the pool. My point is that we are assessed a multiplier which is fine but so should open zoned schools. This keeps it equal and fair. I would argue that 1.8 is ridiculous. 1.4 is more reasonable. TSSAA has the highest multiplier in the nation. Average is 1.4. I don't necessarily think the multiplier shoul be 1.8 on the open zoned public schools but they should have something....maybe 1.2 or 1.3. This would equalize things and keep the real small schools competitive.

TSSAA is a broken organization when it comes to governing schools, there is no representation for the small schools on the board. The only way to make this fair is to make any school system that has "open zoning" and the private schools play at the highest classification in every sport if they are D1 and allow the small privates to go to D2 to allow a level playing field for them. Over here everyone makes a big stink when ONE kid moves to a different school and their parents have to move in order for that child to not be penalized yet in Memphis, Marville, etc... 50 can move in with nothing said. How is this fair? TSSAA is like our government, biased and leaning heavily towards big business (i.e. large schoos and private institutions) and both are VERY BROKEN!!!!!

Intense y'all keep winning its gonna be a 2.0 multiplier!!

Not sure how to take that comment! We'll be winning quite often for the next three years and then have a temporary drop off for a year or two then the 5th, 6th and 7 th grade class will be maturing into freshmen, Sophs and Juniors and oh boy can they play!! Pretty good talent for only 235 kids BUT we will always have a year or two that we have to rebuild and struggle. A rebuilding year for us is 3-7. A rebuilding year for Aville is 7-3 or maybe 6-4. All due to number of students. It's just the way it is and we have to accept it. Adamsvillle shouldn't have to rebuild with the momentum they have going. Success breeds success! I still think the Cards have to be factored in as one of top 4 favored teams to win it all this year. At least top 5. I'm still just not sure about Mitchell.