Round 2: Oneida @ GCA

crow

Crow pretty much dead on there were quite a few subs on d that last drive you guys had. still good players at least I think they are . I agree you guys have a good team 21 keep plays going with his legs and that jump pass was really athletic. As for coaching staffs it looked like both did really good job.

OK OnB, make sure you've got a fresh cup of coffee, here comes the recap. This was the 1st meeting for Oneida and GCA so here's my take on things. As I said we were pretty flat initially and they were not. We kinda sat back on D (play not play calling) almost like a "let's see what they're gonna do" sorta thing. That's gonna hurt ya with a team like them. We had limited success on O initially as most on here expected and we did have several turnovers in the first. Another "can't do" when you play a team like Grace. They did kick deep some but short or out of bounds more often. The 1st to #21 was a good return so the next went to the other side and he housed it. That pretty much ended the deep kicks. The game plan on their punts was a good one. The punter was obviously holding the ball as long as possible to get the coverage farther down field and it worked. They limited our punt returns nicely (yeah they actually had to punt a few times). Second half we helped our O production with the pass and of course that helped the running game. I'm not saying it opened up a major running game but it was more effective after slinging a few balls. This game is like a big foot sighting in that we had more passing yards than rushing :o. I don't know when the last time that happened but I can assure you it has been quite a while. No surprise they had schemed to contain #21 and #2, everyone knew it was coming. Running between the tackles on them is tough sledding to say the least. We came in averaging over 300 yards rushing and I think ended up around 118. Over 100 on the ground isn't to bad but won't cut it against them obviously. Overall it was a good atmosphere and it was a clean game by both. A lot of helping folks up from both sides and while I'm sure there was some jaw jacking (after all it is football) there wasn't anything visible and when the fat was it the fire (big hit or big play) both sides conducted themselves with PCC. The GCA staff were gracious hosts and most had very kind words to several of our players individually after the game ended. Got a chance to briefly speak to Coach Brew and our conversation was par for the course, he had some very nice things to say, but then again I wouldn't expect anything but that from him. Again, much love and respect for him. Overall we knew it was gonna be a steep hill to climb and while we didn't reach the summit we did represent ourselves and our community well and played a tough opponent a pretty good game and didn't lay down when things were getting rough. I hate losing but I was pleased with the boys effort and heart. There were a lot of very young guys flying around out there, I think our future is looking good. Now just gotta wait the mandatory time and get back to it. The iron is waiting.

The future looks real good For the Indians crow.Glad you all stood your ground,they have a great team.

Crow pretty much dead on there were quite a few subs on d that last drive you guys had. still good players at least I think they are . I agree you guys have a good team 21 keep plays going with his legs and that jump pass was really athletic. As for coaching staffs it looked like both did really good job.

I agree with that. I think the grace staff was caught a little off guard in one thing. When they kicked to #21 he had a pretty good return. I believe the next kick when they kicked to #20 he surprised them a little, especially for a sophomore.

The future looks real good For the Indians crow.Glad you all stood your ground,they have a great team.

I hated to hear the outcome for y'all last night as well. I know it's tough especially for the seniors but every team in the state but 1 will endure that feeling. I knew the "new" Coalfield was a different animal as well. They're tough in the grind.

Slept on it.....knew Crow would hit the keyboard and his assessment is pretty good.  SlimShaky, I'd expect better from you....GCA did not take their foot off the gas....Oneida seemed to will themselves to uphold their proud tradition (something you of all people should know about).  We were outsized in just about every position (standard for the year) but just gave a much better account of ourselves at 34-0.....after that we out played them 27-13.  Most teams just pray for that running clock......Oneida ain't most teams and I thought you knew the heart of small town football.  Disappointing......

Kaz :mellow: